Subject: RE: [Enum] REMINDER : ENUM Working Group Last Call on draft-enum- e164-dns-00.txt

From: "Vaudreuil, Greg M (Greg)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 10:22:36 -0500

>I.e. in the normal portability discussions, one talk about one 
>authority moving one number to a second one. So, the first have to 
>redirect queries to the second one. That is not how DNS works. The 
>second one tell the parent in the DNS tree that he is not 
>authoritative for information of that domain.

>Exactly how that process is to work is up to the country code as I 
>said earlier.

There is enough comonality here that we must discuss the protocol mechanics.
It is clear that NS delegation in the face of number portability will not
scale. As you note, when you port a number, the parent in the DNS tree must
be notified and must create a separate zone for that number.  Because you
cannot yank out a single entry in a child's zone file and assign it to
another zone, you need to split the child's zone into multiple zones.  As I
noted in my earlier message, quickly you get to needing tens of millions of
zones.

We must address this issue if the service is to scale in an interoperable
manner!

Greg V.

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 00:01:57 +0200

At 10.22 -0500 00-06-26, Vaudreuil, Greg M (Greg) wrote:
>scale.

What is your basis for this conclusion? I don't agree with you.

>As you note, when you port a number, the parent in the DNS tree must
>be notified and must create a separate zone for that number.

Yes.

>Because you
>another zone, you need to split the child's zone into multiple zones.

Yes.

>As I

And? DNS is designed to handle tens of millions of zones, but not 
tens of millions of names in the same zone (as in .com as of today).

>We must address this issue if the service is to scale in an interoperable

Why?

   paf

---

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 18:38:28 -0400

> tens of millions of names in the same zone (as in .com as of today).

And based on existing operational experience, a mostly stock DNS server
can handle both cases on some fairly modest, off the shelf hardware.

-MM

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | www.rwhois.net/michael
Sr. Research Engineer   |   www.ga.lp.org/gwinnett     | ICQ#:         14198821
Network Solutions	|          www.lp.org          |  [email-masked]