Subject: [Enum] Using NAPTR vs. SRV

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:31:09 +0300

Hi All,

> >However if SRV records are used ...the resolver can request _only_ 
> >those records associated with a service, correct?
> 
> See above.
> 
> On the other hand, you don't know beforehand what services to ask for 
> when you only have the E.164, so you might have to query for a number 
> of SRVs.

I'm currently writing a draft that will support cellular roaming.
What I want to do is basically query an e.164 number and a service
(let's call it ROAM) and return a URI for the location of the 
entity that is providing some sort of authentication for that 
user.  The authentication agent might be an IP HLR, IP VLR, or
AAA server.  The protocols used will probably be SIGTRAN/SCTP
or DIAMETER/SCTP (though there are other possibilities).  

My first assumption is to use SRV RRs for this - but I'm not
at all an expert in DNS, so any advice would be appreciated.

best regards,
John

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 09:56:13 +0200

At 10.31 +0300 00-06-29, [email-masked] wrote:
>user.

As you might have seen in the discussions, you can not get back 
anything else than a domainname with an SRV. You need other 
mechanisms for that, and I have proposed using NAPTR RRs for fetching 
URIs.

Other methods can be using LDAP, given that you can go from E.164 to 
an LDAP query, and I propose that is done (aswell) using NAPTR RRs 
but then using an LDAP URI instead of what you get back in the 
previous example.

   paf