Subject: RE: [Enum] REMINDER : ENUM Working Group Last Call on draft-enum- e164-dns-00.txt

From: "Lind, Steven D" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 12:23:00 -0400

> Changing the service provider for circuit switched calls would not effect 
> the IP service providers.
> 
	[Lind, Steven, ALINT]  I respectfully disagree. From a service
perspective, 800 (or international freephone) subcribers  (i.e., those that
receive calls dialed to an 800 or freephone number) are going to want a
consistent customer experience no matter where the call originates (e.g.,
pstn or ip-based). Having different service providers supplying the 800
service is not going to provide that experience . In most cases, the DNS is
probably going to be asked to route the call to the correct service provider
and that service provider will then terminate the call, providing the
desired customer call handling.  Changing the service provider will cause a
change in the DNS record to point to the new service provider. 

	Steve Lind
	AT&T 
> _______________________________________________
> enum mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 09:40:53 -0700

> Unless I'm not understanding the problem at all, it seems to 
> me that the
> concern you raise is caused by the fact that "portable 
> numbers" in the US
> still are geographically significant, E.164 numbers, which 
> are assigned to
> service providers. But this is not the case in Europe, where 
> their structure
> is flat?

This is kind of a red herring. Portable numbers, be they 800 or local
numbers, are resolved through a two-tier database. First, a generic database
provides the name of the "provider of record" for the 800 number, or to the
"selected local provider" for the portable local number. Second, a database
within that provider of record provides the mapping to a phone number or a
call center (800), or to a physical line (LNP). This structure can be mapped
trivially in the DNS: the first mapping is really a name server delegation
(NS record pointing to the server of the provider of record) while the
second is provided by linking DNS resolution within that provider to the
database that provides the 800 mapping or phone number routing.

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 12:17:14 -0500

At 12:23 PM 6/26/2000 -0400, Lind, Steven D wrote:

>pstn or ip-based).

Of course.... this is understood ..this is the whole point of 
ENUM.  However you must understand that ENUM is essentially subscriber 
driven. If a subscriber _chooses_ not to list his TN as IP reachable that 
is their prerogative.

Administrative issues are out of scope for this WG but it should be clear 
that most of think this is a _opt in_ system not _opt out_.

>Having different service providers supplying the 800

This is the point that seems to hang everyone up...ENUM does _not_ route 
calls. It only provides a RR response to a query, such as a SRV or NAPTR 
record. It is the Internet Telephony application that actually processes 
the call and routes in the appropriate manner.

Lets take the example of "MyCompany". It has contracted with both WorldCom 
and ATT to terminate its SIP routed 800 calls.

Upon resolution of a 800 e164 number the following data is revealed.

>     ;;               ord pr fl  service                    re replacement
>      IN NAPTR 100 10 "u" "sip+N2R"      "" "sip:[email-masked]"
>      IN NAPTR   80 10 "u" "sip+N2R"      "" "sip:[email-masked]"
>      IN NAPTR 102 10 "u" "smtp+N2R"     "" "mailto:[email-masked]"

In the above scenerio MyCompany is permitting both carriers to terminate 
their SIP 800 calls with preference given to WorldCom. The caller's SIP 
application or gateway makes the determination on which service to use and 
if Wcom is unavailable then ATT can take over the call.

Now how  WCom or ATT actually routes the call into the call center is not 
revealed here..only that service is available from 2 carriers.

The caller has no idea ( or desire ) on how the call is processed.

Please Note New Contact Information:

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC
5237 Sutherland
St. Louis, MO 63109
Voice 314.503.0640
eFAX Fax to EMail 815.333.1237 (Preferred for Fax)
INTERNET Mail & IFAX : [email-masked]
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<