Subject: [Enum] ENUM Working Group Last Call on draft-enum-e164-dns-00.txt

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 10:49:24 -0500

To all...

We've been a little quiet on the list recently. But I believe it is safe to 
assume that our core protocol document is essentially finished.

In that case I want to issue a WG Last call on E.164 number and 
DNS  draft-enum-e164-dns-00.txt.

	Title		: E.164 number and DNS
	Author(s)	: P. Faltstrom
	Filename	: draft-ietf-enum-e164-dns-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 02-May-00
	
This document discusses the use of DNS for storage of E.164 numbers.
More specifically, how DNS can be used for identifying available
services connected to one E.164 number. Routing of the actual
connection using the service selected using these methods is not
discussed.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-enum-e164-dns-00.txt

There have been substantial revisions to this document from the beginning 
but there has been no real change  to the essential elements of the 
protocol. It is now a very "bare bones" document.

The only debate has been over some of the examples used in the document 
which are not essential to the operation of the protocol itself.

The intent of the last call is to solicit comments before submitting the ID 
to the IESG as a Proposed Standard.

The purpose of a working group Last Call is in the style of "speak now or
forever hold your peace" in case there are fundamental objections which have
not gotten previous or adequate discussion, or minor errors which need
correction.

Work group last call will extend for three weeks from today June 13 to to 
at least July 4 th though we can modify that if new issues come up.

Other work items we will need to discuss in the future are the Goals and 
Requirements documents ...which I understand is being updated at this time 
and some decisions will have to be made on delegation issues.

Your co-chair,

Please Note New Contact Information:

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC
5237 Sutherland
St. Louis, MO 63109
Voice 314.503.0640
eFAX Fax to EMail 815.333.1237 (Preferred for Fax)
INTERNET Mail & IFAX : [email-masked]
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 20:23:19 -0500

I want to remind folks that we are in last call for the following document.

The deadline is July 4... US Independence day ..which for many reasons 
seems appropriate.

Its speak now or forever hold your peace.

I am just going to add my 2 cents worth here on what should be changed.

1. Remove references to .int . It should be replaced with .foo or .arpa 
which seems to be the logical place that this administrative function 
should be placed per IAB agreements etc.

2. A clear statement that ENUM is "application agnostic" and it will be 
dependent on other Work Groups to actually define how ENUM is used, either 
for VPIM or SIP or whatever.

3. I do not want to create any dependencies here on moving the document 
forward. Since we do reference NAPTR examples, we should remind the authors 
of that draft  that we _are_ moving forward and their cooperation would be 
helpful.

In that light we will need to revise our milestones and at this time its 
clear that ..

A. By August we hope to have both our Requirements document and Patrik's 
draft in the IESG hopper.

B. By October we should have discussed the tricky issue of delegation and 
decided on a course of action. DNAME, CNAME, PTR etc. That IMHO will be a 
central topic of discussion in Pittsburgh.

C. If anyone is interested in presenting any material in Pittsburgh...now 
it the time to think about what you want to present and request some time 
for presenting it. I have asked for a 2 1/2 hour slot and I have every 
reason to believe that we will use all of it.

>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-enum-e164-dns-00.txt

Your co chair.....

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC
5237 Sutherland
St. Louis, MO 63109
Voice 314.503.0640