Subject: [Enum] I-D ACTION:draft-peek-enum-itd-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 06:39:50 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Internet-Telephony Directory for Mapping E.164 to 
                          Internet Addresses
	Author(s)	: D. Peek, R. Walters, D. Ranalli
	Filename	: draft-peek-enum-itd-00.txt
	Pages		: 17
	Date		: 21-Apr-00
	
A holistic directory system is described which translates a standard
E.164 telephone number into the Internet address information
required to support IP-enabled communications applications such as
real-time voice, voice-messaging, fax or unified-messaging. The
proposed system utilizes two logical control tiers to implement the
translation.
The first logical control tier is patterned after a Top Level Domain
(TLD) of the Internet Domain Name System (DNS).  This first-tier
provides a mechanism for locating the appropriate directory within
the second logical tier of the Internet-Telephony directory system
where authoritative Internet address information is stored for a
given E.164 number.  This first-tier is expected to conform to the
regulatory and operational standards defined by the Internet
Corporation for the Assignment of Names and Numbers (ICANN) for the
operation of top-level domains.
The second logical control tier provides a mechanism for accessing
and managing authoritative Internet address information associated
with an E.164 number.  This tier consists of widely distributed DNS
servers controlled by service providers, and corporate network
operators.  Distributed ownership of the second tier directories
allows organizations to control the Internet address information
associated with the E.164 numbers under their day-to-day control.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-peek-enum-itd-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-peek-enum-itd-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-peek-enum-itd-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.