Subject: [Enum] Structure of DNS entry for ENUM

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 14:37:29 +0100

Dear All,

I attended the last ITU+IETF workshop (Geneva 25-27 Jan 2000) and I have
still a question regarding the presentation made by R. Shockey.

It's about the linkage between E.164 resources and IP names (or addresses
here ?)

He gave an example :
"query for 2.8.0.4.6.2.6.5.8.6.4.e164.int"
I understand that "e164.int" might become a new global TLD, but what do mean
the digits of the E.164 number as they are i.e separated by a dot and
therefore, I suppose, having to point out INDIVIDUALLY to certain IP
addresses.
In the example, the E.164 number is a number in Sweden, country whose E.164
country code is 46, therefore, "46" has a meaning (i.e. look at the swedish
numbering plan, not to another one), but the digits "4" and "6" taken one at
a time do not mean anything.

Could somebody explain me this issue ?

Thank you in advance

Alain Doisneau : mailto [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 09:41:25 -0500

> therefore, I suppose, having to point out INDIVIDUALLY to certain IP

it is not necessary that an IP address be assigned for each level in
the hierarchy.  a query for  2.8.0.4.6.2.6.5.8.6.4.e164.int might
produce an IP address, (or more likely, one or more SRV records)
if it corresponds to a legitimate phone number.  a query for
IP addresses or SRV records under 4.e164.int, or 6.4.e164.int, 
or any of the other prefixes of that phone number, would
result in no matching records.  (though it might include additional 
information of the form "if you want to look up DNS names ending 
with this suffix, consult these DNS servers..." it would not 
try to return IP addresses or SRV records as if "4" or "46" were 
valid phone numbers)

> a time do not mean anything.

presumably "4.e164.int" would be delegated to the same DNS servers as
for "e164.int" since there are multiple country prefixes beginning
with "4".  "6.4.e164.int" would presumably be delegated to the set 
of DNS servers for the top level of Swedish phone numbers.

Keith

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 07:05:46 -0800

> therefore, I suppose, having to point out INDIVIDUALLY to certain IP

it is the phone number reversed and the dots are added in a way that allows
dns delegation at any level in that phone number.  e.g.

  phone number is +1 206 780 0431

  look up 1.3.4.0.0.8.7.6.0.2.1.e164.int

this allows the dns 'owner' of

  6.0.2.1.e164.int

(+1 206 all of the seattle area) to delegate

   0.8.7.6.0.2.1.e164.int

to the server set which just handles +1 206 780,  bainbridge island.

this is so it distributes well and hence scales well.

randy