Subject: RE: [Enum] Re: Structure of DNS entry for ENUM

From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 12:01:02 -0500

Jonathan Rosenberg [mailto:[email-masked]] wrote:

> > And if some E.164 number in the future becomes 
> > even more hierarched(??), you can
> > always add in dots. The result will never be ambiguous.
> 
> This is unworkable, IMHO. It requires the clients of the 
> system to have
> knowledge of the numbering plan for every single country. The
> dot-between-each-digit moves this knowledge into the DNS zone
> delegations, which is where it belongs.

I guess I'm baffled by this statement.

Domain names don't have to be all in identical hierarchy. I can have a
machine called engr.boeing.com and another one called engr.arl.boeing.com,
and no one will bat an eye.

Simlarly, I can have a phone number-made-name show up as

1.703.4126735.e164.int

and another one

39.06.3295887.e164.int

and in some other country's scheme perhaps

123.06.329.528076.e164.int

As long as the e.164 number itself is consistent within e.164, the DNS name
should never present a problem.

Bert
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 12:23:06 -0500

> should never present a problem.

You are presuming that the form in which the numbers are entered or
accessed by users already has these dots. This means that when users
enter numbers, they must know the numbering plan of the country for the
numbers they enter, or the software must know the numbering plan in
order to place the dots into just a digit sequence entered by a user.
Both of these are unworkable. End users cannot be expected to have to
correctly enter the dots in phone numbers. Today, in the PSTN, I do not
need to enter in these separators. When I call Belarus, I enter
"375172214841" after the international dial prefix (011). I have NO IDEA
what the breakdown of this number is.

Having the software do the breakdown is also unworkable. It means the
software in a standalone phone would need to be configured with the
worlds numbering plans.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com