Subject: [Enum] Re: Structure of DNS entry for ENUM

From: [email-masked] (Richard D G Cox)
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 18:13 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

Richard Shockey <[email-masked]> wrote:
> realistically we can use any domain and TLD we can agree on....

Indeed.  Using e164 is something of a hostage to fortune; it's not _that_
long since the standard was E.163 rather than E.164!  At any time ITU-T
could propose a new set of standards and a new E. number to go with them.

Perhaps - given the significance of this - we should consider whether a
separate (virtual) country-TLD is called for here?  Of course, there's
nothing to stop us continuing to use the e164.int as a placeholder in our
discussions in ENUM!

Anne Brown <[email-masked]> replied to <[email-masked]>:

>> Please clarify "the owner of the telephone number" in Section 3.11.
>> Is it the subscriber that is assigned the telephone number or the
>> service provider that currently serves that number?

> Section 3.11 on Privacy states that "The system MUST allow the owner
> of the telephone number to control the information which prospective
> callers may receive."  I recommend replacing the text with "The system
> MUST allow the user to whom the telephone number was assigned, the
> ability to control the information...".

This potato is hotter than you might have realised: we haven't yet defined
the "user" (of the telephone network services) with sufficient clarity to
avoid the sort of dispute that some of us are expecting/dreading.

I don't have an answer to offer that I'm happy with, but give thought to
the sort of situation where a paging bureau, message bureau, fax-to-email
service etc. set up facilities and then offer them to downstream users.
The bureau (or service provider) may not (depending on the country) be
subject to the mandatory number portability requirement, but will normally
have been assigned a block of telephone numbers (usually delivered using
DNIS/DDI over a T1 or an E1) which they then sub-allocate to users.

Which is to be the "user" for the purposes of Section 3.11?  It's possible
to make an arbitrary decision based on any one specific circumstance, but
far harder to define an algorithmic rule that scales up or down to fit all
the circumstances we are likely to come across!

Richard Cox
Mandarin Technology, Penarth, UK
+44 (29) 2031 1131

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 13:29:00 -0500

> separate (virtual) country-TLD is called for here?

seems like a rathole.  design the scheme right and it can use any DNS
name as its root.  trying to figure out how to get a new TLD approved
by ICANN would not be an effective use of this group's time.

Keith