Subject: Re: [ITU+IETF] RE: [Enum] Re: Structure of DNS entry for ENUM

From: "David P. Peek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 14:41:45 -0500

>
>
>"Vaudreuil, Greg M (Greg)" wrote:
>>
>> In enum space, it would be up to the client to determine that the dialed
>> number was other than E.164 and determine which numbering plan (DNS
suffix)
>> it belonged to.  Standards and auxillary directory services to make a
>> network-based dialed digit analysis function to map access codes to
domain
>> names may be a future project.  However, it seems that the result of any
>> local or standard approach will take the initial digits, number length,
and
>> local configuration to determine the domain name suffix to append to the
>> dotted digits.  From that point the mechanics and protocol are identical
for
>> E.164 and private spaces.
>
>Exactly. Another way to look at it is that the system enum is defining
>takes two things as input: a phone number AND a domain suffix, and then
>returns a list of URIs.

Do we really want to require two things (phone number and domain suffix) as
input
to the ENUM global solution?   Greg's description of private numbering
requires the
domain suffix if a DNS solution is to be used to solve the private dialing
plan.
This is certainly one way to support private dialing plans.   The other way
is by
utilizing LDAP directories as was also mentioned in other private
environments.
I believe Greg's statement that it is up to the client to determine that the
number
dialed is not an E164 number and do what is necessary to obtain the E164
number.
If the client system wishes to query a private DNS domain that it is aware
of to locate
the real E164 number then thats a perfect solution.  If the client wishes to
query a private
ADS (LDAP server) to obtain the final E164 number than that is another
solution.
Once the E164 number is obtained this number should be used to query the
ENUM "One Global" solution requiring only one input  (the E164 number).
Comments?
Dave

>
>-Jonathan R.
>
>--
>Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
>Chief Scientist                             Suite 120
>dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
>[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
>http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
>http://www.dynamicsoft.com
>
>_______________________________________________
>enum mailing list
>[email-masked]
>http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum
>

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 15:06:14 -0500

"David P. Peek" wrote:
> This is certainly one way to support private dialing plans. 

My point was that our system works for both the global and private
space. For the global case, the application will know to append e164.int
or whatever, and for applications that are using private plans, some
other suffix is supplied by the application. As far as the enum
component goes, it gets a domain suffix and a phone number. How the
application decides what that suffix is, whether its e164.int or not, is
irrelevant for the enum component. It takes that suffix and the number,
constructs a domain name as per the document, and then goes to DNS and
gets back URIs for the services available.

-Jonathan R.