Subject: [Enum] ENUM Requirements

From: James Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 08:22:23 -0600

Ann,
NeuStar submitted some proposed revisions to the draft-ietf-enum-rqmts-00.on
12/8.  Since it did not generate any discussion, we are resubmitting the
proposed changes but with some modifications.  We suggest that the
discussion be based on the changes proposed in this message and have the
changes incorporated into the enum requirements document.  People familiar
with the post dialing delays please help in identifying the post dialing
delay requirement for the international calls in the GSTN today.  The reason
is that the same post dialing delay requirement will apply to the scenario
where a call is originated from the GSTN to the GSTN via the Internet.
We suggest to revise sections 3.7 and 3.9 (see proposed texts below) and
clarify 3.11 in draft-ietf-enum-rqmts-00.
3.7 Number Portability
The system MUST take into consideration of all the existing local number
portability mechanisms that allow the subscribers to keep their phone
numbers when switching from one local access service provider to another,
where applicable. It is RECOMMENDED that the system not be designed in such
a way as to impede future number portability that allows the subscribers to
keep their phone numbers when moving from one physical location to another
or changing their subscribed services within or across those systems that
use E.164 numbers to identify the end users or terminals/devices. 
3.9 Query Performance
The system is not expected to respond to queries with the same performance
levels as current GSTN queries; however, the DNS process SHOULD not
significantly increase the post dialing delay as perceived by the caller or
specified by the regulatory bodies (e.g., 10 seconds for domestic calls). 
Please clarify "the owner of the telephone number" in Section 3.11. Is it
the subscriber that is assigned the telephone number or the service provider
that currently serves that number?
James

James Yu
Principal Technical Industry Liaison
NeuStar Inc.
1120 Vermont Avenue, NW,
Suite 550
Washington, D.C. 20005
USA
+1-202-533-2814 (B)
+1-202-533-2975 (Fax)
+1-202-256-1200 (Mobile)
[email-masked]
http://www.neustar.com

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 07:59:03 -0800

> 12/8.

as ietf is made up of individual experts, not companies, governments, ...
i doubt it.

randy