Subject: [Enum] DNS for mobility support

From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:19:55 -0500

Richard Shockey wrote:

> There are going to be lots of "out of scope" issues related 
> to ENUM that 
> folks may want to discuss. Maybe we should get a new list 
> started. I would 
> like to participate in these discussions as well.

Whatever makes sense.

But I have a question. Assuming that the DNS is indeed capable of updating
itself globally within seconds, why can't it be used directly to support
mobile stations, both IP and telephony? The second tier servers, to support
all the proprietary features each service provider offers would still exist,
and makes a lot of sense, but why can't the DNS be queried directly to
localize a mobile host?

I am pretty amazed that a global update in seconds is possible, since
yesterday was the first time I saw this mentioned. Why shouldn't that
feature be put to good use? It sure beats the way it's done now, doesn't it?

Whether it's to translate between a _portable_ telephone number and a
_routable_ and stationary number, _or_ between a portable number and the
current routable number of a mobile host, such a rapid DNS should satisfy
everyone. Not so? The fields the DNS currently supports would be sufficient
for this task, I believe?

Sorry if I don't use the correct telephony jargon.

Bert
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: "Matt Squire" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:59:49 -0500

> and makes a lot of sense, but why can't the DNS be queried directly to

A personal guess/opinion...

I think DNS is capable of updating within seconds.... on a small scale. 
This kind of granularity on a large scale would obliterate the ability
to cache many/most DNS responses, and without caching the load on the
DNS infrastructure would be vastly different than it is today, which, in
turn, would probably eliminate the ability for the update to actually
happen in seconds.   

- Matt