Subject: [Enum] DNS for E.164-IP Address Mapping

From: James Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 10:11:13 -0600

In the SCN, the same E.164 number (a national number in the US) can be
mapped to different Signaling System 7 addresses (e.g., point codes)
depending on the applications.  For example, an E.164 number is mapped to a
Line Information Database (LIDB) point code for caller ID and caller name
services, and to an end office (class 5 switch) that serves the E.164 number
for Call Completion to Busy Subscriber (CCBS) service.  

The same will apply to the E.164 to IP address mapping.  So far, enum has
focused on the voice calls only.  There are other services that will require
mapping between the E.164 number and the IP address of a server/database
depending on the applications.

One application that I have identified is the Inter-Company Voice
Mail/Messaging where a voice mail/messaging server's IP address is to be
mapped to a particular E.164 number.  There will be others.   If DNS is to
be used for all the services for E.164 to IP address mapping, we may need
the ability to indicate the "application/service" type in the DNS query so
that specific records can be returned.  Another may is just to return all
the records that may be associated with the associated E.164 number with
different record types for different applications/services and let the DNS
query sender decide which one or ones to use.   Any comments?

James Yu
Principal Technical Industry Liaison
NeuStar Inc.
1120 Vermont Avenue, NW,
Suite 550
Washington, D.C. 20005
USA
+1-202-533-2814 (B)
+1-202-533-2975 (Fax)
+1-202-256-1200 (Mobile)
[email-masked]
http://www.neustar.com

_______________________________________________
enum mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/enum

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 12:22:50 -0500

This is already addressed by the current solution. You can obtain a
variety of URL types (sip, ldap, mailto) from the DNS. Enum is actually
better described as a phone number to URL mapping solution.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com