Subject: [drinks] Internationalization & Comparison, 2nd try

From: Alexander Mayrhofer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 15:35:39 +0100

Based on the discussions during last week's Design Team call, i have
drafted a new revision of the "Internationalization" Text - see below. I
still haven't found a proper headline for the "comparison & case
sensititivity" section, suggestions welcome.

Thanks to Ken for the valuable comments on my initial text - very
useful.

Generally, comments on the text are very much appreciated.

-- snip --

X. Internationalization
------------------------

X.1. Character Encoding
----------------------------

If elements contain non-ASCII characters, the UTF-8 [RFC3629] character
encoding MUST be used. If the transport protocol allows for explicit
declaration of the character encoding used, clients and servers SHOULD
explicitely declare the content to be UTF-8, but MAY in turn assume that
content that is received without such declaration is using UTF-8.

X.2. Language identification
---------------------------------

Where messages in human-readable languages are used in the protocol,
those messages SHOULD be tagged according to RFC 4646, and the transport
protocol MUST support a respective mechanism to transmit such tags
together with those human readable messages. If absent, the language of
the message defaults to "en" (English).

X.3. Time zones
-------------------

Date and time attribute values MUST be represented in Universal
Coordinated Time (UTC) using the Gregorian calendar. The actual
date/time format 
used MUST be specified by the respective transport protocol.

Y. Comparison Operations
-----------------------------

The protocol contains two types of elements. The first type, called
"blobs" for the purpose of this document, contains data that is moved by
means of that protocol, but is neither used to identifier objects, or to
refer between objects. The other type is called "identifier", and is
either used to address an object, or to refer between objects.

The following elements are "Identifiers":

  * rant
  * rar
  * dgName
  * rrName
  * rgName
  * egrRteName

All other elements contained in the protocol fall under the "blobs"
category. For "identifiers", the following rules apply:

  * Identifiers are case insensitive, and MUST use Unicode Normalization
Form C (NFC) in comparison and mapping operations
..* Characters allowed in Identifierst MUST consist of Characters
exclusively from those character classes: TODO
  * The Registry MUST store such identifiers in their lower case
mapping, and MUST correctly map upper case representations of that
identifier to their lower case equivalent in comparison operations.
..* Clients SHOULD lowercase such identifiers before sending them to the
Registry

If "blob" type elements are ever to be compared, byte-wise comparison
MUST be used.

---

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 15:08:51 +0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of Alexander Mayrhofer
> Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:36 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [drinks] Internationalization & Comparison, 2nd try
> 

RFC 4646 has been obsolete by RFC 5646. 5646 would be the better reference.

> X.3. Time zones

A suggested change using text from verified RFC 5730 errata: use 'Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)'

This is the rationale shared with the report:

"Rationale: Use of established, official terminology.

Note: There are other variants of "Universal Time" (mostly of historical interest now), and hence, the term initially had been written as "Universal Time, Coordinated", giving rise to the acronym "UTC" that parallels the precursor "UT1"."

Scott

---

From: Yoshiro YONEYA <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 11:19:31 +0900

Hi,

IETF precis WG (CC'ed) is discussing comparison of internationalized strings. 
Would you please see if precis framework (work on progress) is applicable? 
<http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-precis-framework/>

Regards,

-- 
Yoshiro YONEYA <[email-masked]>

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 15:35:39 +0100 Alexander Mayrhofer <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> drinks mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/drinks
> 
>