Subject: Re: [dispatch] draft-campbell-sip-messaging-smime - Updates to RFCs

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 08:58:30 +0000

Hi,

The document says:

   "This document updates and clarifies RFC 3261, RFC 3428,
    and RFC 4975 in an attempt to make the S/MIME for SIP and MSRP easier
    to implement and deploy in an interoperable fashion.²

Šand:

    "This document offers normative updates and clarifications to the use
     of S/MIME with the SIP MESSAGE method and MSRP.²

I think there should be ³Update to RFC XXXX² sections, where the updates
are summarised. You may not need to update actual text, but at least
describe what functionality/feature is updated, and which section the
update applies to.

Regards,

Christer

On 07/12/17 21:01, "dispatch on behalf of Ben Campbell"
<[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

>(as an individual contributor)
>
>Hi,
>
>Russ and I submitted a revision of the S/MIME for SIP Messaging
>clarification draft last week. We request that this version be run
>through the dispatch process:
>
>https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-campbell-sip-messaging-smime-01
>
>We¹ve tried to clarify the problem statement and scope of the work in
>section 3, and to address most of the other feedback we received in the
>meeting or on the mail list. There are still some open issues, but I
>don¹t think those should preclude making some plans about how to progress
>the work.
>
>My personal opinion is that this should progress as an AD sponsored draft
>if Adam or Alexey are willing. I don¹t think this is a large enough
>effort to justify a new WG (mini or otherwise). Parts of it seem to fit
>the SIPCORE charter, but the MSRP related bits don¹t really have a home.
>(unless we want to restart SIMPLE ;-)  )
>
>We recognize that there is skepticism about the relevance of both SIMPLE
>based messaging and S/MIME. However, a number of wireless operators are
>showing a renewed interest in the GSMA RCS, which uses both SIP MESSAGE
>and MSRP, and at least some of that community is interested in the secure
>notification use case.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Ben.