Subject: Re: [dispatch] draft-sunil-sankar-dispatch-sip-incr-00.txt

From: Anton Tveretin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 17:28:32 +0500

Hi,
I really agree that currently SIP is highly redundant and suffers from poor design.
There is more than network traffic; larger message takes significantly more CPU cycles and memory for both parsing and producing. Thus, reducing message size would increase throughput.
But I don't see how to introduce that into current version without breaking compatibility. I suggest keeping this optimization for a new version (say, 2.5) of SIP.
I could write more examples of SIP redundancy and poor design.
Regards,
Anton

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 09:48:50 -0400

> I could write more examples of SIP redundancy and poor design.

I think most people who know sip well have a long list of things they 
would change if they were starting over. But that isn't a sufficient 
reason to do a new version. For that, there would need to be a 
significant community of competent people willing to do the work and a 
probable business model for introducing the result. I don't see either 
of those being present any time soon. It seems more likely to me that 
sip will be superseded by something quite different, like webrtc.

	Thanks,
	Paul

---

From: Brett Tate <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 10:22:49 -0400

> larger message takes significantly more CPU cycles and
> memory for both parsing and producing. Thus, reducing
> message size would increase throughput.
> But I don't see how to introduce that into current
> version without breaking compatibility. I suggest keeping
> this optimization for a new version (say, 2.5) of SIP.

Version 2.5?  We could skip to SIPv4 as described within my favorite April
1 draft: draft-kaplan-sip-four-oh.  :)

Draft-kaplan-sip-four-oh section 10.3 even discusses the deprecation of
many headers which could help reduce the size of SIP messages.  Similarly,
the SCU layer discussed within section 16 could reduce the message size by
95.5%.

https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-kaplan-sip-four-oh-00.txt