Subject: [dispatch] Charter Proposal: Web Push

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:32:44 -0700

I notice that the deadlines have been added to the wiki [1], and we're
already past them.  I didn't see any announcement, so I apologize for
being a little late with this request.

We don't believe that this work is enough to need a full BOF, only a
short time in a dispatch session.  We'd like to request that time now.

Charter:

   Many applications require continuous access to network communications
   so that real-time events - such as incoming calls or messages - can
   be conveyed (or "pushed") to the user in a timely fashion.
   Uncoordinated use of the network from multiple applications can
   contribute to unnecessary use of the network on devices.  For
   instance, maintaining sessions can dominate costs over the long term,
   since events are relatively rare.  This is particularly onerous for
   battery-powered devices, on which network communication contributes a
   significant portion of power drain.  Each independent session
   independently incurs overheads, causing unnecessary resource usage on
   devices.

   Several modern computing platforms provide a push notification
   service that consolidates application events, distributing those
   events to applications as they arrive.  The single session avoids
   duplicated overhead costs on devices.

   This working group will develop a protocol that applications can use
   to request the delivery of application data to a device using a
   consolidated push notification service.  This protocol will include the
   ability to push the same message to multiple devices.  The work may
   include an exemplar protocol for devices registering with push
   services.

   This work will be done in collaboration with the W3C Webapps Working
   Group, who are developing a Web Push API for use in web applications
   (see <http://www.w3.org/TR/push-api/>).

Milestones:

  2015-05 Send web push protocol draft to the IESG as Proposed Standard

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 08:48:43 -0500

Thanks!

Mary.

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:32 PM, Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> dispatch mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dispatch
>