Subject: [dispatch] New Proposal for Telephone-Related Queries

From: Sohel Khan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 14:05:25 -0800 (PST)

Thanks Jon, it is a very good initiative. I support the creation of a WG.
Nevertheless, in my opinion, we will need a fresh start on developing the real-time communication routing vector data model that includes emerging applications routing needs. It should not be just a TN issue.  A TN, a user name, or some other public identities can be an input vector to resolve a destination route vector for the real-time communication that accounts for the emerging technologies. I humbly request that we have a fresh start instead of trying to make something backward compatible that limits the innovation.
 
Sohel Khan
 
-----Original Message-----
From:     Peterson, Jon [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent:    Monday, March 05, 2012 04:51 PM Eastern Standard Time
To:    [email-masked]
Subject:    [dispatch] New Proposal for Telephone-Related Queries

I have a proposal to bounce off the group. Basically, this is a
re-examination of some of the problems we've previously considered in the
telephony-specific cluster of work surrounding ENUM, DRINKS and SPEERMINT.
Through discussions in the past couple years, it's become clear that we
would need to significantly extend ENUM to get it to handle all of the sorts
of sources, subjects, and attributes that people want to factor into queries
about telephone number routing and administration. Most of these discussions
have gotten wrapped around the axle on questions of the underlying syntax
and semantics of the DNS, which were a good match for the original vision of
a public, user-driven ENUM, but don't seem to be such a good match for the
uses people actually want to make of these protocols, in federated,
service-provider-driven environments like those envisioned in SPEERMINT and
provisioned in DRINKS. While the discussion may have died down a bit, the
requirements that motivated th
e discussion definitely aren't going away.

Rather than continue to debate the applicability of the DNS and the probity
of various extensions to it, we might make more progress if we work towards
agreement on the semantics of queries for telephone-related data
independently of any underlying protocols. In other words, focus on what
kinds of questions about telephone numbers we want to be able to ask, and
what kinds of information needs to go into the answers, and incorporate all
this into an abstract data model. So for example, we know that we want to be
able to express the source of a request in a query. What do we mean by
source? I can think of a bunch of different kinds of source: the logical
originator of the query (the administrative entity asking), the logical
identity of any intermediary or aggregator forwarding the query, or even the
point at the network from which the call originates (the originating trunk
group, SBC or what have you). All three of those concepts of source seem
important when it comes to answe
ring questions about telephone numbers, so a data model would treat those
as separate elements which can vary independently - then we can then try to
figure out what's mandatory or optional, etc. We follow this same method for
all the elements of queries and responses. Figure out what the attributes
are of telephone numbers that we care about, sort them into buckets of
routing data and administrative data, and so on.

Once we have an agreement on the data model, then people can map the model
to whatever underlying protocol they'd like - or just build it into a web
API, or what have you. Those proposals could advance as separate documents.
Having that flexibility would make it a lot easier to figure out what we
really want the questions and answers to be, rather than thinking about what
they realistically can be within the constraints of some existing underlying
protocol.

That's the idea. I'm not going to present a proposed charter for work or
anything like that in Paris, but I am interested in hearing if people think
this is a promising approach, and if so, perhaps we'd put a charter on the
agenda for Vancouver. I have however submitted a -00 draft for this time
which gives a high-level proposal for a data model and at least enumerates
what some of the elements might be that would be populated in queries and
responses. This is a pretty broad sketch, but it should convey the basic
idea. You can check it out here:
https://exchcas.va.neustar.com/owa/thoughts about the direction or the
specifics of the data model are welcome. Thanks!

Jon Peterson
NeuStar, Inc

Regards,
Sohel Khan

---

From: "Peterson, Jon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 17:22:45 -0500

Hi Sohel,

Thanks for your comment.

If you take a look in the TeRQ draft, you'll see that the data model defines a Subject of queries, but doesn't restrict it to telephone numbers. In fact, there is at least one other identifier that we know we want to be able to resolve as a telephone-related query today, and that's a SPID - in any SPEERMINT-like architecture with a LUF/LRF, distinction, you may effectively make two route passes, and on the second, operate on a SPID instead of a TN. There are probably whole classes of similar identifiers for networks or federations that might make sense in some deployments.

The basic idea of the draft is to leave these categories pretty open-ended, however, so that if we do have other sorts of identifiers we want to resolve that are related to telephone calls and routing, we can add them in future specifications through an extensibility mechanism. So definitely we won't be trying to limit innovation in this space.

Jon Peterson
NeuStar, Inc.
________________________________________
From: [email-masked] [[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Sohel Khan [[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 2:05 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [dispatch]  New Proposal for Telephone-Related Queries

Sohel Khan

-----Original Message-----
From:     Peterson, Jon [mailto:[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>]
Sent:    Monday, March 05, 2012 04:51 PM Eastern Standard Time
To:    [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Subject:    [dispatch] New Proposal for Telephone-Related Queries

Jon Peterson
NeuStar, Inc

Regards,
Sohel Khan

---

From: Sohel Khan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 18:08:00 -0800 (PST)

Hi Jon,

Thank you for the nice draft.
It will be nice to have a single query an array of identifiers to resolve the destination and service array instead of current enum method of only one single identifier input.  I will explain more in details in Pairs.
 
Regards,
Sohel Khan

________________________________
 From: "Peterson, Jon" <[email-masked]>
To: Sohel Khan <[email-masked]>; "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Tuesday, March 6, 2012 5:22 PM
Subject: RE: [dispatch]  New Proposal for Telephone-Related Queries

Hi Sohel,

Thanks for your comment.

Jon Peterson
NeuStar, Inc.

Sohel Khan

-----Original Message-----

Jon Peterson
NeuStar, Inc

Regards,
Sohel Khan