Subject: [dispatch] Proposal to provide update to draft-sandbakken-dispatch-bfcp-udp

From: "Charles Eckel (eckelcu)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 16:47:47 -0700

Problem Statement
-----------------
"Revision of the Binary Floor Control Protocol (BFCP) for use over an
unreliable transport", draft-sandbakken-dispatch-bfcp-udp, extends the
Binary Floor Control Protocol (BFCP) for use over an unreliable
transport.  It details a set of revisions to the protocol definition
document and the specification of Session Description Protocol (SDP)
format for BFCP streams.
The latest update to this draft, draft-sandbakken-dispatch-bfcp-udp-01,
has expired.
It is currently available at
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sandbakken-dispatch-bfcp-udp-01.

Charter Proposal
----------------
I am not prosing a new working group for this. Rather, I would like make
an official proposal to update the draft to address the concerns raised
previously on the mailing list as well as when the draft was presented
at IETF 79. Provided this is done within the timeframe outlined for the
DISPATCH working group, I would like to ask to present the updated draft
within DISPATCH at IEFT 81. Next steps can be discussed at or following
IETF 81.

The motivation for using an unreliable transport for BFCP [RFC4582]
messages is fuelled by network deployments where RTP proxies or media
relays are present for NAT and firewall traversal.  In these
deployments, the previous draft claimed TCP may neither be applicable
nor appropriate. This claim needs to be better explained and researched
as part of the aforementioned update.

Goals and Milestones
--------------------
July 2011    Update to draft-sandbakken-dispatch-bfcp-udp addressing
concerns 
             raised previously
July 2011    Present update to draft-sandbakken-dispatch-bfcp-udp at
IETF 81

Cheers,
Charles