Subject: [dispatch] Basic Telephony SIP Interconnect Guideline Draft

From: Daryl Malas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 15:20:00 -0700

All,

We have submitted an updated draft for defining a SIP interconnect
guideline for basic telephony peering.   Of the SIP Service Providers
(SSPs) we have spoken with regarding their experiences with peering, SIP
interworking is one of the most challenging processes to work through.
This draft was originally accepted as a working group item within the
SPEERMINT (Session PEERing for Multimedia INTerconnect) working group.  A
decision was made to close down this working group, and this draft was
selected to be re-submitted for evaluation within the DISPATCH working
group.  We still believe that establishing an informational guideline will
be a fundamental step in enabling SSPs to peer quickly and efficiently.

This draft provides fundamental (or basic) guidelines for the following
topics related to basic telephony SIP interconnects:

+ General Procedures
- Extension Negotiation
- Public User Identities
- Trust Domain & Asserted Identities
- IPv4/6 Interworking

+ Fault Isolation and Recovery
- Interface Failure Detection
- Overload Control
- Session Timer

+ Session Establishment
- Basic Call Setup
- Ringback Tone vs. Early Media
- Early Media w/ Multiple Terminating Endpoints
- Calling Name & Number Delivery (w/ Privacy)

+ Call Features
- Call Forwarding
- Hold / Conference / Transfer
- Auto Recall/Callback

The authors of this draft realize work is being done to further define
some of these topics within the IETF, but these may take years to resolve.
 This draft provides a framework for establishing a fundamental basic
telephony peering relationship between two SIP service providers.  SSPs
are expected to add other functionality based on mutual agreement beyond
the fundamental guidelines in this draft.  This draft will allow basic
interworking as a starting point.

Here is a link to the draft for further details:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hancock-dispatch-sip-interconnect-guidelin
es-00

We welcome comments and feedback on this work.

Regards,

Daryl (and David)

---

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:58:30 -0500

Well Daryl .. if Dispatch won't give you a home for this I will. 

Richard Shockey
Chairman of the Board of Directors SIP Forum
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us>
skype-linkedin-facebook: rshockey101
http//www.sipforum.org

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Daryl Malas
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 5:20 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: David Hancock
Subject: [dispatch] Basic Telephony SIP Interconnect Guideline Draft

All,

+ General Procedures
- Extension Negotiation
- Public User Identities

+ Session Establishment
- Basic Call Setup

+ Call Features
- Call Forwarding

Regards,

Daryl (and David)

_______________________________________________
dispatch mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dispatch