Subject: [dispatch] VIPR Charter V5

From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 07:37:24 -0800

Please find the V5 of the VIPR charter proposal below.

Please send any concern to this mailing-list, so we can discuss them and improve
the charter.

Thanks.

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIPR Charter Proposal (Version 5)

WG Name:  Verification Involving PSTN Reachability (VIPR)

There are two globally deployed address spaces for communications used
by more than a billion people daily - phone numbers and DNS rooted
address such as web servers and email addresses.  The inter-domain
signaling design of SIP is primarily designed for email style addresses
yet a large percentage of SIP deployments mostly use phone numbers for
identifying users, thus DNS lookups are not sufficient.  The goal of this
working group is to enable inter-domain communications over the Internet,
using protocols such as SIP, while still allowing people to use phone
numbers to identify the person with whom they wish to communicate.

The VIPR WG will develop a peer to peer based approach to finding
domains that claim to be responsible for a given phone number
to mitigate the involvement of centralized entities to avoid some of
the issues encountered by past attempts to support SIP inter-domain
communications.  Validation protocols will be developed to ensure a
reasonable likelihood that a given domain actually is responsible for
the phone number.  In this context, "responsible" means an
administrative domain, which is at least one of the domains, to which
a PSTN call to this phone number would be routed.  Once the domain
responsible for the phone number is found, existing protocols, such
as SIP, can be used for inter-domain communications.

Some validation protocols may be based on knowledge gathered around a
PSTN call; for example, the ability to prove a call was received over
the PSTN based on start and stop times.  Other validation schemes, such
as examining fingerprints or watermarking of PSTN media to show that a
domain received a particular PSTN phone call, may also be considered by
the working group.  This validation will be accomplished using publicly
available open interfaces to the PSTN, so the validation can be
performed by any domain wishing to participate.  The WG will select and
standardize at least one validation scheme.

The validation mechanism requires a domain to gather and maintain
information related to PSTN calls.  This information is used by call
agents such as phones, SBCs and IP PBXs to route calls.  The WG will
also develop mechanisms to detect in a timely manner that a given domain
is not longer responsible for a phone number.  The WG will define a
client-server protocol between these call agents and the entity within a
domain that maintains the information.

To help mitigate SPAM issues when using SIP between domains, the WG will
define a mechanism to enable one domain to check that incoming SIP
messages are coming from a validated phone number.  A phone number is
considered validated if it is coming from a domain to which the calling
domain had previously successfully placed a PSTN call.  The working
group will define new SIP headers and option tags, as necessary, to
enable this.

The essential characteristic of VIPR is establishing authentication by
PSTN reachability when it is not possible to use a direct reference to
ENUM databases or other direct assertions of PSTN number
ownership.  Elements such as public ENUM easily coexist with VIPR but no
direct interaction with ENUM will be required.  The solution set defined
by this WG will be incrementally deployable using only existing
interfaces to the PSTN.  No changes will be required to existing PSTN
capabilities, no new database access is needed nor is any new support
from PSTN service providers required.

The WG will produce the following deliverables:

1) A document describing the requirements, problem statement and
architectural approach to support SIP inter-domain communications.
2) A document describing the use of the p2psip protocol (RELOAD) as
applied to this problem space.
3) A document defining a scheme for validating the phone numbers using
publicly available open interfaces to the PSTN.
4) A document defining client-server protocol between call agents and the
entity within a domain that gathers and maintains information related to
PSTN calls.
5) A document describing a mechanism to mitigate SPAM issues.

The working group will carefully coordinate with the security area, O&M
area, as well as the appropriate RAI WGs such as sipcore and p2psip.

- -- 
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Personal email: [email-masked]
Professional email: [email-masked]
Blog: http://blog.marc.petit-huguenin.org

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 14:12:38 -0600

Hi folks,

Marc posted the following updated charter a couple weeks back addressing
many of the concerns raised in this thread:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dispatch/current/msg03090.html

If folks could please respond if they believe this addresses the concerns
they raised, that would be very helpful.

Also, we need answers to the following in order to consider whether it
should be progressed for chartering:
1)  Are you interested in this work?
2)  Are you willing to contribute to the work (reviewing, contributing text,
editing if needed, etc.) ?
3)  Do you believe this work is ready to be chartered?

Thanks,
Mary.
DISPATCH WG co-chair

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 9:37 AM, Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]>wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> -
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
>
> iEYEARECAAYFAk0zELIACgkQ9RoMZyVa61c8JQCZAYr/HaVyUZ2nV+bO+F4CWjOH
> mD4AnjQatv9wxZfVJ4zwl0tT4d4SqEcj
> =Gueo
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> _______________________________________________
> dispatch mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dispatch
>

---

From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 12:52:04 -0800

On 01/28/2011 12:12 PM, Mary Barnes wrote:
> If folks could please respond if they believe this addresses the
> concerns they raised, that would be very helpful.
>  
> 2)  Are you willing to contribute to the work (reviewing, contributing
> text, editing if needed, etc.) ?

For the record, I am interested in this work, I plan to review drafts based on
my own implementation(s), I probably will contribute additional I-Ds (e.g. new
validation methods, and I believe that this work is ready to be chartered.

- -- 
Marc Petit-Huguenin

---

From: Peter Musgrave <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 02:36:23 -0500

Hi, 

1) Yes, I am interested.
2) I can review work. 
3) Yes, this is ready to be chartered.

Peter Musgrave

On 2011-01-28, at 3:12 PM, Mary Barnes wrote:

> Hi folks,
>  
> Marc posted the following updated charter a couple weeks back addressing many of the concerns raised in this thread:
> If folks could please respond if they believe this addresses the concerns they raised, that would be very helpful.
>  
> Also, we need answers to the following in order to consider whether it should be progressed for chartering:
> 2)  Are you willing to contribute to the work (reviewing, contributing text, editing if needed, etc.) ?
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 9:37 AM, Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]> wrote:

---

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 21:02:35 -0500

A.     No I'm not interested. I have very little expectation that this work
will deploy beyond certain enterprise applications. 

B.     I have no intentions of reviewing this work 

C.     But Yes this work is ready to be chartered. Whatever, have at it, be
my guest, have a nice 3 years or so. 

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Peter Musgrave
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2011 2:36 AM
To: Mary Barnes
Cc: DISPATCH list
Subject: Re: [dispatch] VIPR Charter V5

Hi, 

1) Yes, I am interested.

2) I can review work. 

Peter Musgrave

Hi folks,

Thanks,

Mary.

DISPATCH WG co-chair

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 9:37 AM, Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]>
wrote:

Please send any concern to this mailing-list, so we can discuss them and
improve
the charter.

Thanks.

-

- --
Marc Petit-Huguenin
<http://blog.marc.petit-huguenin.org/>