Subject: [Diffserv] SLA & admission control

From: "Geunhyung Kim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 23:30:29 +0900

Hello, All,

I have some confusion about the SLA and admission control.
When the provider contracts the SLA with the customer
 - the provide check if the network can support the SLA and the provider make the contract when the SLA can be supported.

As far as I know, when the SLA mechanism is used in the DiffServ domain, the admission control mechanism is not required, I thought.
Is my thought correct ?
If not, please let me know why the admission control is required after SLA is entered into agreement.

Thanks in advance,

Geunhyung Kim

None of us is as smart as all of us
==========================================
Geunhyung Kim

E-mail: [email-masked]

Tel: +82-54-279-5655
Fax: +82-54-279-5699

Networking & Distributed Systems Lab.
CSE
POSTECH
===========================================
_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 17:17:57 +0100

It depends on the PDB in use. If it has a bandwidth limit,
then ingress policing will be used to discard excess traffic.
In this case, it may be desirable to apply admission control,
rather than let the policing throw traffic away. Actually,
that is something that the SLA should specify.

     Brian