Subject: RE: [Diffserv] Modeling of Policing component.

From: Bennett Jon-MGIA0444 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 11:29:25 -0400

> Very funny. 

I liked to think it was :-)

> What I said was I thought very clear:

it wasn't

> this isn't sonething we should do in the IETF. 
> Did I say it shouldn't be done? Or that when it
> is done, that the IETF shouldn't use the result? 

I think in fact that is how most people would have
interpreted your statement

> But it should be done rigorously, and that means 
> in an academic context. 

So are you suggesting that the work we did in fixing 
the EF PHB was
a) not rigorous
b) my co-authors and I are ... "academics"... (eeepp :-) or
c) that the work was not "done in the IETF"

the first two I beleive to be untrue and certainly a little insulting.... 
me, an "academic"? never! :-)
and the last is clearly untrue

so could you explain the contradication...... 
or is there no contradication because you don't think 
we should have done the EF work at the IETF either??

jon

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 18:55:01 +0200

> > What I said was I thought very clear:

will try harder

> So are you suggesting that the work we did in fixing

It was, I believe, quite rigorous (as was the work done on
the alternative fix) but it wasn't anything like as hard
as what I believe needs to be done to analyze edge2edge
behaviors in the general case. I believe that is at least
an order of magnitude harder.

> b) my co-authors and I are ... "academics"... (eeepp :-) or

This would not be an insult. Feel free to call me an academic
any time :-)

> c) that the work was not "done in the IETF"

It was indeed an IETF activity - but imho it was a finite, well
defined problem compared to the e2e problem.

> we should have done the EF work at the IETF either??

I think we had no choice. But as I hope I've explained above, the
size of the e2e problem is different. If I was an AD, I wouldn't
charter a WG until there was published math to work from.

   Brian