Subject: RE: [Diffserv] Modeling of Policing component.

From: Bennett Jon-MGIA0444 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 13:12:01 -0400

>> "sqreeek" (that's the sound of the opening of a can of worms): Would
>> you consider evolving the informal model of RFC 3290 into a more
>> formal calculus, 
>
>No. Never. That is an academic topic (no insult intended), not
>something that the IETF should do. 
>
>   Brian

Yeah surprisingly I have to agree with Brian on this one, the last 
thing we want is a model which is formally grounded enough that you 
could actually use it to verify that your equipment was correctly 
implemented. Much better that we don't ever do that sort of thing in 
the IETF, that way we have well defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

Wait what was I thinking.... oh its the heat...
(our air-conditioning failed and its 95 degrees in my office.... really)
Let me try that again...

Yeah not surprisingly I have to disagree with Brian on this one.....

jon

Jon C. R. Bennett
Chief Engineer
Motorola Broadband Communications Sector
3 Highwood Drive
Tewksbury, MA  01876
978.858.2300/2361 (direct)
978.858.2399 (Fax)

   -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-3-lines-PERL

#!/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj
$/=unpack('H*',$_);$_=`echo 16dio\U$k"SK$/SM$n\EsN0p[lN*1
lK[d2%Sa2/d0$^Ixp"|dc`;s/\W//g;$_=pack('H*',/((..)*)$/)

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 08:34:29 +0200

Jon,

Very funny. What I said was I thought very clear: this isn't sonething
we should do in the IETF. Did I say it shouldn't be done? Or that when it
is done, that the IETF shouldn't use the result? But it should be done
rigorously, and that means in an academic context. 

   Brian