Subject: [Diffserv] (no subject)

From: "Osama Aboul-Magd"<[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 14:56:15 -0400

Call for Papers

                Minitrack on Quality of Service in the Internet

                         Software Technology Track

             Hawaii International Conference on Systems Science

                             January 6-9, 2003
                          Hilton Waikoloa Village
                             Big Island, Hawaii

             Web page: http://www.ee.iastate.edu/~kamal/HICSS36

Overview:

A large number of network applications, differing in requirements and
traffic
characteristics have been introduced in the past few years.  As such, the
Internet is now moving from being a best-effort service provider, to a
provider
of assured service qualities.  This requires the development of new
protocols, both inside subnetworks, and on end-to-end levels.  Such
protocols
should deal with issues as service differentiation, pricing, congestion
control, QoS routing, resource reservation, service provisioning, etc.   The
Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), as the main standard body for IP
protocol has been working on those issues.
A new and lightweight service paradigm, namely, the Differentiated Services
(DiffServ) approach has been proposed by IETF and active research is
underway
to define architectures and strategies for QoS within the Internet.  Several
issues still need to be worked on, such as end-to-end service
interworking, actual protocol mechanisms and implementation,
classification and marking, the service level agreement and the service
guarantees.

Scope:
The minitrack will concentrate on complete or ongoing research in the area
of Internet Quality of Service.  Areas of interest include, but are not
limited to:

- Traffic characterization
- Differentiated services protocols and signaling
- Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS)
- Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) QoS
- Layer 2 QoS, e.g., IEEE 802.1Q VLAN
- Scheduling algorithms
- End-to-end service interworking
- Congestion control strategies in DiffServ networks
- Active queue management
- Resource reservation
- Pricing
- Performance evaluation

Minitrack Co-Chairs: 

Ahmed E. Kamal
Dept. of Electrical & Computer Eng.
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011
U.S.A.
Tel: (515) 294-3580<br>
Fax: (515) 294-8432<br>
E-mail: [email-masked]

Osama Aboul-Magd
Nortel Networks
P.O. Box 3511, Station C
Ottawa, ON K1Y - 4H7
CANADA
Tel: 613-763-5827
Fax: 613-763-2697
E-mail: [email-masked]

Important Deadlines:

March 31, 2002      A 300-word abstract
April 19, 2002      Feedback to author on abstract
June 1, 2002        Eight copies of the manuscript
August 31, 2002     Notification of accepted papers
October 1, 2002     Camera-ready copies of accepted manuscripts

Instructions for Authors:

Submit a 300-word abstract to either of the two co-chairs ([email-masked]
or [email-masked]) by March 31, 2002.  The preferred method of
submission is e-mail.  However, submissions by regular mail, or fax will
also be considered.  Feedback on the appropriateness of the abstract will
be sent to the authors by April 19, 2002. Submit the full manuscript by
June 1, 2002. Manuscripts should have an abstract and be 22-25 typeset,
double-spaced pages in length.  Papers must not have been previously
presented or published, nor currently submitted for publication. 
Each manuscript will be peer-reviewed, and accepted manuscripts will be
published in the conference proceedings.

If you have more questions, or want to find out more about HICSS36,
please go to the Software Technology Track homepage,
http://www.engr.smu.edu/~rewini/cfp-stt-h36.html
or contact either of the co-chairs.