Subject: [Diffserv] DiffServ traffic characteristics

From: "Phung Minh Hoang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 17:46:03 +0800

Dear all,

Traffic in the current Internet has been found to be self-similar and
multifractal. Will that change if

(1) Internet traffic changes from being dominated by TCP, Web traffic to
being dominated by real time multimedia traffic

(2) traffic conditioning mechanisms in DiffServ are introduced

Can anyone point me to any work done so far to address that?

Thanks

Hoang

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 14:54:26 +0200

This discussion has been moved to the diffserv-interest list.
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv-interest

  Brian Carpenter
  diffserv WG co-chair

Phung Minh Hoang wrote:
> multifractal. Will that change if...

---

From: Lloyd Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 14:41:17 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Phung Minh Hoang wrote:

> multifractal.

I think you'll find that that's traffic at the edges, where hosts on
LANs fight it out and academics have their kit and do their
measurements.

In the core, all these slower streams are aggregated, smoothing out
individual peaks, and everything's running much nearer capacity.
Lucent rediscovered this with some fanfare last year:

http://www.lucent.com/press/0601/010606.bla.html
http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/ms/departments/sia/InternetTraffic/index.html
http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/ms/departments/sia/InternetTraffic/webpapers.html
Jin Cao, William S. Cleveland, Dong Lin, and Don X. Sun

This is really a discussion for end2end.

L.

> Will that change if

<[email-masked]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>