Subject: RE: [Diffserv] one basic question

From: "Ramakrishnan.R (Networking) - CTD, Chennai." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 10:25:00 +0530

Hi Rashid,
As for as diffserv is considered, the treatment is given separately for the
packets based ONLY on DSCP value. However, if your router exists in the edge
of the DS domain, you can give different treatments based on
Source/Destination Pair. However, this violates the diffserv implementation
because diffserv is solely for flow aggregates. 
 
Am i correct?
 
Regards
Ramki

-----Original Message-----
From: M Rashid Qazi [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2002 12:33 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Diffserv] one basic question

Hi All,
I am working with some pricing project for differentiated services and
utilizing NS2 software for that. My question is somewhat very basic, but I
didnt found any info for that.
In a diffserv domain, the packets can be catagorized or prioritized, but is
this prioritization can be implent on a single source -destination pair? or
we can enqueued packets on the basis of their Flow IDs (fid) containing
source -destination address and their port numbers?
If I have three types of packets (with different bitrate) coming from a
single node to an edge router (regardless from where they belong originally
or how the streams are generated) , but every type is carrying a different
fid, is that possible that I can assign every priority queue to every single
type at the edge router?
 
Thanks for your support
rashid..

   _____  

Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com
<http://g.msn.com/1HM105401/13> .
_______________________________________________ diffserv mailing list
[email-masked] https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv Archive:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.ht
ml

---

From: "Emanuel Moreira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 09:50:54 -0000

Hi,
But the source/destination addresses or the source/destination port or any
other pair of  information, that helps to classify the packets and so to
create a flow can be used, and does not violate the diffserv implementation,
correct?
  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Ramakrishnan.R (Networking) - CTD, Chennai.
  Sent: segunda-feira, 11 de Março de 2002 4:55
  To: M Rashid Qazi
  Cc: [email-masked]
  Subject: RE: [Diffserv] one basic question

  Hi Rashid,
  As for as diffserv is considered, the treatment is given separately for
the packets based ONLY on DSCP value. However, if your router exists in the
edge of the DS domain, you can give different treatments based on
Source/Destination Pair. However, this violates the diffserv implementation
because diffserv is solely for flow aggregates.

  Am i correct?

  Regards
  Ramki
    -----Original Message-----
    From: M Rashid Qazi [mailto:[email-masked]]
    Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2002 12:33 AM
    To: [email-masked]
    Subject: [Diffserv] one basic question

    Hi All,
    I am working with some pricing project for differentiated services and
utilizing NS2 software for that. My question is somewhat very basic, but I
didnt found any info for that.
    In a diffserv domain, the packets can be catagorized or prioritized, but
is this prioritization can be implent on a single source -destination pair?
or we can enqueued packets on the basis of their Flow IDs (fid) containing
source -destination address and their port numbers?
    If I have three types of packets (with different bitrate) coming from a
single node to an edge router (regardless from where they belong originally
or how the streams are generated) , but every type is carrying a different
fid, is that possible that I can assign every priority queue to every single
type at the edge router?

    Thanks for your support
    rashid..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com.
    _______________________________________________ diffserv mailing list
[email-masked] https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv Archive:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.ht
ml

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 11:50:42 +0100

This conversation has been redirected to the diffserv-interest list

To Subscribe: [email-masked]

Rgds
   Brian Carpenter
   diffserv WG co-chair

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html