Subject: [Diffserv] different between IntServ & DiffServ

From: "Nguyen Xuan Long" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 22:22:25 +0700

Hi all,

I am comparing IntServ and DiffServ; so that I would show that DiffServ is
realizable than IntServ.

I have showed some differences as follow:

(1) mechanisms: IntServ (Admission Control, Packet Scheduler, Classifier,
Reservation protocol) & DiffServ (PHB, Traffic Conditioners).

(2) IntServ (fine-grained, per-flow) & DiffServ (coarse-grained,
per-aggregate)

(3) scalability: IntServ < DiffServ

Is there any thing else?
What about the services that IntServ and DiffServ provide to end-users? It
seems to be quite ambiguous.

I would like to know further more the differences between IntServ and
DiffServ
Would you like show me those differences?

Thank you so much!

    Best Regard,
Nguyen Xuan Long

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html

---

From: "Jim Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 18:46:56 -0600

The fundamental difference between the IntServ and DiffServ research projects
is that IntServ is that the IntServ approach assumed that all sorts of software
would reside outside of the O/S kernel, doing complex things that can be dreamed
up in user-space programs. DiffServ on the other hand, is a much more kernel-centric
approach, not relying as much (or at all) on external software. This might be similar
to the differences one finds in people working on database management systems
outside of the kernel and filesystems which are mostly in the kernel.

Jim Fleming
http://www.IPv8.info
IPv16....One Better !!

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 11:22:20 +0100

Hi,

This type of discussion is not part of the working group's charter.
Please use the diffserv-interest list.

mailto:[email-masked] 
To Subscribe: [email-masked] 
In Body: subscribe your_email_address 

Thanks
  Brian Carpenter
  diffserv co-chair

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 09:39:27 -0800

>Is there any thing else?

how about the fact that diffserv is a data plane architecture targeting any 
and all traffic, while int-serv is a control-plane architecture targeting 
exactly those few applications that require a control plane?