Subject: [Diffserv] backward compatiblity with RFC 1349

From: Lei Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 17:30:59 -0500

In RFC1349, the TOS byte is divided into three fields: Precedence(0-2),
TOS(3-6) and MBZ(7). The second field, "TOS", is intended to denote how the
network should treat packets differently on delay, throughput, reliability
and cost. The following marks of the TOS field have been defined
                    1000   --   minimize delay
                    0100   --   maximize throughput
                    0010   --   maximize reliability
                    0001   --   minimize monetary cost
                    0000   --   normal service

RFC 2474 only describes the backward compatibility with the IP Precedence
field. I wonder if the backward compatibility with the TOS field was
discussed in the working group. If yes, what is the conclusion? If no,
please comment.

Thanks.

Lei

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 11:28:07 +0100

RFC 2474 obsoletes RFC 1349. So those TOS bits are dead.

  Brian