Subject: [Diffserv] Protocol Action: Management Information Base for the Differentiated Services Architecture to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 14:18:24 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Management Information Base
for the Differentiated Services Architecture'
<draft-ietf-diffserv-mib-16.txt> as a Proposed Standard.

In the same action, the IESG approved An Informal Management Model for
Diffserv Routers <draft-ietf-diffserv-model-06.txt> for publication as
an Informational RFC.

These documents are the product of the Differentiated Services Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Scott Bradner.

Technical Summary
 
 'Management Information Base for the Differentiated Services Architecture'
 describes an SMIv2 MIB for devices implementing the Differentiated Services
 Architecture.  It may be used both for monitoring and configuration of a
 router or switch capable of Differentiated Services functionality.

 This MIB is similar in design to what is described in the companion
 document "An Informal Management Model for Diffserv Routers", although it
 can be used to build functional data paths that the model would not well
 describe.  The model conceptually describes ingress and egress interfaces
 of an n-port router, which may find some interfaces at a network edge and
 others facing into the network core.  It describes the configuration and
 management of a Differentiated Services interface in terms of one or more
 Traffic Conditioning Block (TCB), each containing, arranged in the
 specified order, by definition, zero or more classifiers, meters, actions,
 algorithmic droppers, queues and schedulers.  Traffic may be classified,
 and classified traffic may be metered.  Each stream of traffic identified
 by a combination of classifiers and meters may have some set of actions
 performed on it; it may have dropping algorithms applied and it may
 ultimately be stored into a queue before being scheduled out to its next
 destination, either onto a link or to another TCB.  At times, the treatment
 for a given packet must have any of those elements repeated. "An Informal
 Management Model for Diffserv Routers" models this by cascading multiple
 TCBs, while this MIB describes the policy by directly linking the
 functional data path elements.

Working Group Summary

 There was significant discussion in the Working Group over a long time
 on these documents.  The final documents reflect the consensus of the
 Working Group.

Protocol Quality

 These documents were reviewed for the IESG by Scott Bradner and Harrie
 Hazewinkel.

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html