Subject: [Diffserv] new droppers,new meters

From: Vincent Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 10:12:15 +0800

I have read a lot of things about DiffServ, including all related
RFCs and papers. But I do not find any clue for AF's DiffServ.
In AF's DiffServ, its real meaning is that Diff-macro flows
receive Diff-macro flows treatment; But the Difference Metrics 
between these Different macro flows is never stated.
So DiffServ is just a framework for macro flows treatment. If 
we want to get really meaningful thing ,such as different macro
flows getting better QoS(low latency, high throughput and low
jitter),we must deploy new mechanism ( new droppers,new meters)
.
Am I right?

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 11:59:09 -0500

> between these Different macro flows is never stated.

No, it is an individual network operator's choice how many AF
classes to implement and what parameters each class will have.
That is an operational choice, and nothing to do with the standard.

> jitter),we must deploy new mechanism ( new droppers,new meters)

As you will see in the MIB, behaviors such as AF are constructed 
from well known mechanisms. It is a question of setting the parameters 
of existing droppers etc to values that produce the behavior that 
you want for each traffic class. 

  Brian

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html