Subject: Re: [Diffserv] diffserv mib rev 13 - do we need Counter32 objects

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 13:58:26 -0700

For the record, If we were to remove the Counter32 objects from the MIB, it 
would look something like this.

ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/fred/diffserv-mib/marked.draft-ietf-diffserv-mib-14.txt

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html

---

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 00:23:49 +0200

OK, I think that looks good.

But you cannot have a group in the MANDATORY-GROUPS
and also as a conditional group (I think). It seems
that you now have made the diffServCounterGroup
mandatory, and that you have repeated that group as
a conditional group also to state that 
ifCounterDiscontinuityGroup must be implemented IF
this group is implemeted (I highlighted the IF, beause
there is no IF I think, since you made it mandatory.)
And so the stament on ifDiscontinuityGroup in just
above the MANDATORY-GROUPS can say it all.

If my understanding is correct that the Counter group
is now indeed mandatory, then I think you change and 
simplify this:

    MODULE IF-MIB -- The interfaces MIB, RFC2863                          |
    GROUP       ifCounterDiscontinuityGroup                               |
    DESCRIPTION                                                           |
       "This group is mandatory if any counters in the diffServMIB are    |
       supported by the implementation.  If it is is supported or         |
       implemented, then the ifCounterDiscontinuityGroup must also be     |
       supported or implemented."                                         |

    MODULE -- This Module
    MANDATORY-GROUPS {
        diffServMIBDataPathGroup, diffServMIBClfrGroup,
        diffServMIBClfrElementGroup, diffServMIBMultiFieldClfrGroup,
        diffServMIBActionGroup, diffServMIBAlgDropGroup,
        diffServMIBQGroup, diffServMIBSchedulerGroup,
        diffServMIBMaxRateGroup, diffServMIBMinRateGroup,                 |
        diffServMIBCounterGroup                                           |
    }

    GROUP diffServMIBCounterGroup                                         *
    DESCRIPTION
       "If this group is implemented, the ifCounterDiscontinuityGroup     |
       from the IF-MIB must also be implemented." 

into:

    MODULE IF-MIB -- The interfaces MIB, RFC2863                          |
    MANDATORY-GROUPS {                                                    |
       ifCounterDiscontinuityGroup                                        |
    }

    MODULE -- This Module
    MANDATORY-GROUPS {
        diffServMIBDataPathGroup, diffServMIBClfrGroup,
        diffServMIBClfrElementGroup, diffServMIBMultiFieldClfrGroup,
        diffServMIBActionGroup, diffServMIBAlgDropGroup,
        diffServMIBQGroup, diffServMIBSchedulerGroup,
        diffServMIBMaxRateGroup, diffServMIBMinRateGroup,                 |
        diffServMIBCounterGroup                                           |
    }

See how things keep getting simpler :-)

Bert 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Fred Baker [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: dinsdag 18 september 2001 22:58
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Diffserv] diffserv mib rev 13 - do we need Counter32
> objects
> 
> 
> Archive: 
> http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/curr
> ent/maillist.html
>

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 18:31:21 -0700

>         diffServMIBCounterGroup                                           |

twist my arm... it's posted as such. I'm not going to make this a permanent 
change, though, until someone tells me this represents a consensus, or the 
AD tells me to just do it.

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 21:00:15 +0200

>>>>> Fred Baker writes:

Fred> For the record, If we were to remove the Counter32 objects from
Fred> the MIB, it would look something like this.

Fred> ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/fred/diffserv-mib/marked.draft-ietf-diffserv-mib-14.txt

You probably also want to remove the IMPORT of Counter32 since it is
not used anymore.

/js