Subject: [Diffserv] Behaviour of different flows in Diffserv network

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 09:48:53 +0100

Hi All,
I have this question regarding a situation when the different flows are
aggregated at the Diffserv network edge with similar constraints. They get
allocated a particular DSCP to receice a treatment through the diffserv
network. What would happen lets say that there is a mixture of TCP and UDP
flows in that aggregate and they hit congestion. What effect would it have
on those indivdual flows though part of an aggregate but under congestion
situation TCP and UDP flow behave differently. 

Regards
Asim 
Vodafone

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html

---

From: Christophe Gouault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 11:21:07 +0200

> situation TCP and UDP flow behave differently.

Hi Asim,

IMHO, since TCP and UDP behave differently in congestion situations, they shouldn't be
aggregated in the same class of service. Only flows with similar constraints should be
aggregated.

Christophe.

---

From: Kathleen Nichols <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 12:51:12 -0700

> situation TCP and UDP flow behave differently.

This is a critical element to *doing* diffserv that some of us have
emphasized
from the start. If you cannot structure the rules for aggregating the
traffic such that the traffic is treated "sensibly", then you'd better
go back to the drawing board to come up with something else. I think
Brian and I tried to capture this importance concern in RFC3086 for
defining the Per-Domain Behaviors.

	Kathie