Subject: [Diffserv] Doubt regarding "Packet Burst"

From: "Geevarghese John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 17:06:57 +0000

Can Someone help me on this doubt ..

Sorry if this is not the correct mailingin list for the same ...

Questions :

Consider a rate limit scheme say "Credit based " support X Kbits over 100 MB links.

When the link is changed to 1000 MB is it expected to change the expected

burst size to 10 * X Kb

What is the rule dictating Burst definition over large pipe networks ..?

Thanks

John

Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html

---

From: "Jay Wang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 14:43:33 -0700

With respect to rate Limiting, the burst size allows the provider to specify
the tolerance level against
traffic burst of a particular 'subscrber'. Given this, I tend to believe the
burst size parameter should
only adjust along with the subscriber traffic profile as oppose to the
overall (presumable shared)
physical link (size).  So typically I think it would be reasonable to
increase the burst size if the BW
allocated to the corresponding subscriber increases. However, I am not sure
if the linear model as
you use in your example a proper one. This all depends on, again, the
subscriber traffic profile.

- jay
  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Geevarghese John
  Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2001 10:07 AM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: [Diffserv] Doubt regarding "Packet Burst"

  Questions :

  Consider a rate limit scheme say "Credit based " support X Kbits over 100
MB links.

  burst size to 10 * X Kb

  Thanks

  John

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
  Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com
  _______________________________________________ diffserv mailing list
[email-masked] https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv Archive:
http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.h
tml

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 17:07:20 -0500

I would suggest the diffserv-interest mailing list for this discussion
please see http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv-interest

   Brian

Geevarghese John wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________ diffserv mailing list [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv Archive:
> http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html

-- 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian E Carpenter 
Distinguished Engineer, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM 
On assignment for IBM at http://www.iCAIR.org 
Board Chairman, Internet Society http://www.isoc.org

"We shall need a number of efficient librarian types 
 to keep us in order." - Alan Turing, 1947.