Subject: [Diffserv] on a suplemental information for the new definition of the EF PHB

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 15:23:30 -0500

Hi,

a question on the draft on a suplemental information for the new 
definition of the EF PHB-01.txt:
In section 5. it is written: 

   The second example will consider a router modeled as a black box with
   a known bound on the variable delay a packet can experience from the
   time it arrives to an input to the time it is delivered to its
   destination output. The output scheduler in isolation is assumed to
   be an aggregate scheduler where all EF packets share a single FIFO
   queue, with a known value of E_a(S)=E_p(S)=E(S). This model provides
   a reasonable abstraction to a large class of router implementations.

The first and the last sentence together seem to imply that many 
scheduling algorithms provide a known deterministic bound on delay. To 
my understanding, only a few algorithms as EDF, OCF can do so. 
Thanks for any informations.

Claus

Dr. Claus Bauer
Research engineer
Tellabs Research Center
One Kendall Square
Bldg. 100, Suite 121
Cambridge, MA, 02139
USA

Tel.: +1 617 577 8787
Fax.: +1 617 494 0118

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html