Subject: [Diffserv] silent drop vs. drop with notice

From: "Li Man.M (NRC/Boston)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 13:13:20 -0500

Hi,

It seems to me that both Diffserv PIB and MIB specify an absolute drop
action meaning "silently discards". See for example section 4.5.2 of
Diffserv PIB.

Some devices support two types of drops: 
1) silent drop without notifying sender 
2) drop and notify sender 

It would be helpful to distinguish these two cases in Diffserv PIB and
MIB as well. It can be done by simply adding a new codepoint. 

Man Li
Nokia 
5 Wayside Road, Burlington, MA 01803
[email-masked]
phone 1-781-993-3923
GSM 1-781-492-2850 

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 14:29:19 -0500

Hi,

The Internet doesn't tell you when it drops a packet. I don't think
diffserv is going to change this.

   Brian

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 12:41:20 -0700

>2) drop and notify sender

silly question: how is the sender notified? If it is with an ICMP message, 
what ICMP message, specified by what RFC? How does this play when a DDOS 
attack is causing the drops? Does it spread the DDOS attack to each of the 
drone sites as well as the attacked site?

I'll happily support an IETF standard if you can point me to it, but not a 
proprietary behavior whose use is inadvisable in the Internet.