Subject: [Diffserv] PIB design

From: "Yacine El Mghazli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:48:38 +0200

Hi all,

My question is quite simple, I guess some of you well know the diffserv PIB
: Finally, since the lattest versions, it is very closed to the diffserv
MIB.
So, will all the future specific PIBs be so closed to their corresponding
MIB ?
If not, what motivated such a choice for diffserv ?

Thanks,
Yacine

-- Yacine El Mghazli
----------------------------------------------------------------------
  Alcatel R&I
  Software and Services Strategic Program - VIPeR
  Marcoussis, France
  Tel  +33 1 6963 4187
  Fax  +33 1 6963 1169
  [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:36:02 -0500

It's certainly intentional for the diffserv case, for many
obvious practical reasons. For the general case, that is a RAP 
discussion only and diffserv has nothing to say.

    Brian

-- 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian E Carpenter 
Distinguished Engineer, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM 
On assignment for IBM at http://www.iCAIR.org 
Board Chairman, Internet Society http://www.isoc.org

---

From: "Kwok-Ho Chan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:23:11 -0400

IMHO, some of the reasons for the DiffServ MIB and PIB "closeness":
1. Common co-authors with Model, PIB, MIB drafts.
2. Some of the PIB work actually started before the Model and MIB drafts.
    Some of the idea in the original PIB was used in the Model and MIB,
    and some improved in the Model and MIB.
3. At the end of the day, implementations will have a set of
    registers/memory locations to hold the data definitions for provisioning.
    It will be nice to have the same data definition no matter PIB or MIB is
    used, RoleCombo or Interface specific.

This is done for DiffServ, it will be good to do the same for the other
technologies, but that is not a DiffServ WG issue.

-- Kwok Ho Chan --