Subject: [Diffserv] Managed VPN's

From: "McMillan, Paul" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 14:26:27 -0700

Most Managed VPN services that we have seen entail placing a VPN box
directly on the customer premise and not at a central office.  Even remote
users/telecommuters typically have a VPN Client running on their
workstation. This would present an issue I believe when trying to establish
the appropriate QOS through the service provider network even if it remains
on one providers IP backbone.

 Regards
Paul McMillan
Solutions Architect
Siemens Enterprise Networks
Penn-Jersey Region
RNET 590-3527
Outside (610)-660-3527			

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 16:55:23 -0500

Probably, but this and the general IPSEC issue is not one the diffserv WG
can solve. We will bring this point up with the Area Directors if someone writes
a collected summary of the issue. But if nobody writes a summary, this discussion
will go nowhere.

   Brian

-- 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian E Carpenter 
Distinguished Engineer, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM 
On assignment for IBM at http://www.iCAIR.org 
Board Chairman, Internet Society http://www.isoc.org

---

From: "Jay Wang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 15:59:35 -0700

Hi All,

At the service provider's edge device, on one hand the
the service provider may want to provide micro-flow based 
QoS. At the same time, they have to still support Diffserv
PHB paradigm. Given such, such a device needs to deal with
QoS at two different levels simultaneously, namely BA based 
and micro-flow based. Although there is not necessary a 
technical problem with this, I am wondering if anyone can 
point me to any references that discuss related issues at 
all levels (i.e., from data plane to the management plane).

thanks,

- jay

---

From: demir <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 16:47:40 -0700 (PDT)

Jay,
Integrated Services over Specific Link Layers (issll) group of IETF
addressed this issue with  RFC2998, "A Framework for Integrated Services
Operation over Diffserv Networks". 

Alper K. Demir

---

From: demir <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 17:07:42 -0700 (PDT)

However, the issue addressed from Intserv services (Guaranteed and
Controlled Load) point of view. I assume, the first step should be to find
out the service requirements of flow-based (micro-flow in Diffserv
language) applications which has been studies vastly in the context of
Intserv. I am, also, not aware of other material on this (other than the
PhD work that I am doing, but a little different from Diffserv context. I
am unable to provide any reference on this at this moment).

Alper K. Demir

---

From: "Susie Riley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 08:51:49 -0400

paul - i'm not sure but you might have misconstrued one of my earlier
messages - about having the box at the central office.  my 'central office'
referred to the corporate headquarters where the vpn is trying to
terminate - not the isp's central office.

generally i think there are several types of vpns.  some that require
equipment at the customer premise, and some that do not.  i think the
example with the shasta box, etc. etc., falls under the category of the
second scenario.

brian, i can write up a summary of the issue.  i want to keep it somewhat
contained so i will not go into inter-domain stuff.  when do you need it by?

susie

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf
Of Brian E Carpenter
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2001 5:55 PM
To: McMillan, Paul
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: [Diffserv] Managed VPN's

Probably, but this and the general IPSEC issue is not one the diffserv WG
can solve. We will bring this point up with the Area Directors if someone
writes
a collected summary of the issue. But if nobody writes a summary, this
discussion
will go nowhere.

   Brian

"McMillan, Paul" wrote:
> Archive:
http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.h
tml

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive:
http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.h
tml

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 09:08:46 -0500

Again, this type of discussion belongs on the diffserv-interest list

[email-masked]

Send "subscribe diffserv-interest" to [email-masked]

Thanks
   Brian

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 10:08:41 -0500

Susie Riley wrote:
...
> contained so i will not go into inter-domain stuff.  when do you need it by?

Thanks. No deadline, but if we can get something to the IESG well before the 
next IETF it will perhaps trigger some discussion there.

  Brian