Subject: [DiffServ] Questions on diffServDscpMarkActEntry

From: Banu Mohan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 15:33:57 -0500

Hi All,

Please discard my previous email.

Would you please answer our 'diffServDscpMarkActTable' questions?

The 'diffServDscpMarkActTable' is used to mark/remark DSCP values.
This table is accessed by the 'diffServActionSpecific' RowPointer
object that points to an entry in this table.

1. This index for this table is "read-only".  This appears to
   be in conflict with SMIv2 requirement that index values be
   "not-accessible".  We understand that a RowPointer must point to
   an accessible object.  It seems like a different and separate
   index should be used for this table.  Does the draft MIB need to
   be changed (see details under 3. below)?

2. RFC 2474 requires the ability to remap DSCP values.  How do we
   change values in this table?  It seems like changing the value
   would also change the index value.  Also, there is no read-write
   object.

3. It appears to us that this table should have a simple, linear
   index from '0' to '63' that is "not-accessible" (and part of the
   table) that points to a "read-write" DSCP value that allows for
   remapping similar to that demonstrated in the following table:

   Index     DHCP Value  Comment
   -----     ----------  --------------------------------
     0       000000      default PHB
     1       000000      remap to default PHB
     2       000000      remap to default PHB
     3       101110      remap to EF PHB
    ...      ...
    ...      ...
    63       111111      is not remapped

Within a few weeks, we will be ready to start implementing the draft
DiffServ MIB.
 - When will version 10 (draft-ietf-diffserv-mib-10) be available?
 - When will the IANA define the OID subidentifier under "MIB2" for
   this MIB?

Thank you,
Banu

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 10:49:10 -0500

Hi,

There will be changes in the next version of the MIB. It's taking 
much longer than we hoped to get all the pending updates included.

  Brian Carpenter
  diffserv co-chair

-- 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian E Carpenter 
Distinguished Engineer, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM 
On assignment for IBM at http://www.iCAIR.org 
Board Chairman, Internet Society http://www.isoc.org