Subject: [Diffserv] Fundamental trade-offs in aggregate packet scheduling

From: Zhenhai Duan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 12:18:56 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

We have a new paper, "Fundamental trade-offs in aggregate packet
scheduling", available online now. This paper studys the relationships
between the worst-case edge-to-edge delay, the maximum allowable network
utilization level and the "sophistication/complexity" of aggregate packet
scheduling employed by a general network, which extends the work by
Charny and Le Boudec, "Delay Bounds in a Network with Aggregate
Scheduling". I attach the abstract in the following, if interested, you
can find the paper at,

http://www.cs.umn.edu/Research/CNMRG/VTRS/reference.html

Abstract
------
In  this  paper  we  investigate  the  fundamental  trade-offs  in  {\em
aggregate}   packet  scheduling  for   support  of   guaranteed  delay
service.  In  our study,  besides  the  simple  FIFO packet  scheduling
algorithm,  we consider  two  {\em new}  classes  of aggregate  packet
scheduling algorithms: the {\em static earliest time first} (SETF) and
{\em dynamic earliest time first} (DETF). Through these two classes of
aggregate packet scheduling, we  show that, with additional time stamp
information encoded  in the packet  header for scheduling  purpose, we
can  significantly   increase  the  {\em   maximum  allowable  network
utilization  level},  while  at   the  same  time  reducing  the  {\em
worst-case edge-to-edge delay  bound}. Furthermore, we demonstrate how
the  number of  the bits  used to  encode the  time  stamp information
affects  the trade-off  between the  maximum allowable  network utilization
level  and the worst-case  edge-to-edge delay  bound.  In
addition, the more complex DETF algorithms have far better performance
than  the  simpler  SETF  algorithms.  These  results  illustrate  the
fundamental trade-offs  in aggregate packet  scheduling algorithms and
shed light on their provisioning  power in support of guaranteed delay
service.

Thanks.
--Zhenhai
--------------------------------------------------------------
Zhenhai Duan		        PhD candidate
Computer Science Department	http://www.cs.umn.edu/~duan
University of Minnesota, TC	Phone: (612)626-7526(O)
--------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html