Subject: RE: [Diffserv] CountActTable

From: "Iliff, Tina" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 13:45:05 +0000

However, it seems logical that the count action would be implicit and
therefore, does not need configuration parameters within a policy set.  For
example, if the Accounting Timer is set, then the PEP should "turn on" its
counters; otherwise, the counters are "disabled".

Tina Iliff

		-----Original Message-----
		From:	Joel M. Halpern [mailto:[email-masked]]
		Sent:	Wednesday, April 04, 2001 12:14 PM
		To:	[email-masked]
		Subject:	RE: [Diffserv] CountActTable

		The Count Action is a diffserv packet handling action.
Including it in a 
		configuration causes counting to be done.  It sure seems
that this action 
		ought to be configurable with the PIB, just like every other
Diffserv 
		packet handling action (Meter, Mark, Drop).  Otherwise, one
would have to 
		use SNMP to CONFIGURE this element in order to later use
SNMP to retreive 
		the counts.

		This Action is not itself a counter that would go in an
Accounting PIB, or 
		only in an SNMP MIB.

		Yours,
		Joel M. Halpern

		At 03:13 PM 4/4/01 +0000, Iliff, Tina wrote:

		>Yacine,
		>
		>Like I said, it is just an assumption or a guess.  Someone
else will have 
		>to answer.  The Accounting PIB may be a good place for a 
		>counter.  However, I have not taken a look at that draft in
a while.
		>
		>Tina Iliff
		>-----Original Message-----  From:   Yacine El Mghazli 
	
>[<mailto:[email-masked]>mailto:[email-masked]

		>l.fr]  Sent:   Wednesday, April 04, 2001 10:07 AM  To:
Iliff, Tina; 
		>[email-masked]  Subject:        Re: [Diffserv]
CountActTable
		>
		> > I am just guessing here but it makes more sense to me to
only have a 
		> count  > action in the MIB and not in the PIB.  I do not
consider 
		> counting of  packets  > traversing certain datapath
functional elements a 
		> piece of policy;  however,  > I do consider it as part of
a network nodes 
		> management.
		>
		>Do you mean that counting packets is only managed using
SNMP ?
		>
		> > Tina Iliff  >  >  > -----Original Message-----  > From:
Yacine El 
		> Mghazli  > 
[<mailto:[email-masked]>mailto:[email-masked]] 
		 >   > Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2001 7:39 AM  > To:
[email-masked]  > 
		> Subject: [Diffserv] CountActTable  >  > In the lattest DS
PIB :  >  > 
		> Quoted from the draft-ietf-diffserv-pib-03.txt (page 5) :
> > Action 
		> Tables  > >      A general extensible framework and
examples of  > 
		> parameterization  > >      tables for Absolute Drop, Mark
and Count 
		> actions.  >  > and page 11 :  > > 4.5.1.  DSCP Mark Action
PRC  > > 
		> (...)  > > 4.5.2.  Absolute Drop Action  >  > So why is
there no Count 
		> Action Table in the PIB ?  > However there is an
CountActTable in the 
		> MIB...I feel  > confused.  >  > Thanx  >  > -- Yacine El
Mghazli  >  > 
----------------------------------------------------------------------  > 
		 >   Alcatel R&I  >   Software and Services Strategic
Program - 
		> VIPeR  >   Marcoussis, France  >   Tel  +33 1 69 63 41 87
>   Fax  +33 1 
		> 69 63 11 69  >   [email-masked]  >  > 
		>
----------------------------------------------------------------------  > 
		 >  >  > _______________________________________________  >
diffserv 
		> mailing list  > [email-masked]  > 
		>
<http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv>http://www1.ietf.org/mailm 
		> an/listinfo/diffserv  > 
		> Archive:  > 
<http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillis 
t.h>http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/mail 
		> list.h  > tml  >

		_______________________________________________
		diffserv mailing list
		[email-masked]
		http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
		Archive:
http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.h
tml