Subject: [Diffserv] queue scheduling

From: "Ken" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:06:12 +0800

Hi,
I have a basic question, but still have no answer.

In RFC for Expedited Forwarding PHB, it says there are several types of
queue scheduling mechanisms could be employed for diffserv, but does anyone
knows what is the definite mechanism in the real implementations, like
"traffic control" for linux, or ALTQ, etc.?

If there is no definite mechanism, is it possible to define one in RFC in
the future,
or is it will remain a open issue?

Thanks for any comments.

Ken Lai

==========================================================
 PC home 免費電子信箱，申請請至: http://www.pchome.com.tw 
 PC home Online 網路家庭　　 會員第一，台灣最大的入口網站 
==========================================================

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 08:40:50 -0500

Ken,

This is certainly not something we will ever attempt to standardise.
The whole principle of diffserv is to define a behavior, but leave
individual (competitive) implementors to design their own
implementations of that behavior.

If you look at the diffserv MIB you will see that in fact, the
various PHBs will be implemented in practice by configuring
a basic set of schedulers in one way or another. 

Since you mention RFC 2598, you may also want to look at 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-diffserv-efresolve-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-diffserv-rfc2598bis-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-diffserv-ef-supplemental-00.txt

Regards
   Brian Carpenter
   diffserv co-chair