Subject: [Diffserv] Why to obligates the field diffServQShaper?

From: Yossi Bar Sheshet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 19:08:08 +0200

Hi,

Let's assume an implementation that uses the physical layer for shaping
and no shaping parameters configuration is actually needed.

The MIB mentions that a ZeroDotZero is an illegal configuration.
Why does the MIB obligate the diffServQShaper?

Regards,
Yossi Barsheshet.

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html

---

From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 12:28:18 -0500

> Why does the MIB obligate the diffServQShaper?

If you're using the physical layer to take care of QoS issues, such as
jitter control or what have you, then why do you need Diffserv or its MIB?
For example, you could use an ATM backbone with ATM techniques to achieve
your QoS requirements, in which case the diffserv queues would not be an
issue.

To go a bit beyond that, ATM is, or certainly was, looking at implementing
diffserv over UBR, in which case the diffserv shapers would certainly be
required there as well.

That would be my answer. (Brian will suggest this be moved over to
diffserv-interest.)

Bert