Subject: [Diffserv] Admission control over AF

From: Giuseppe Bianchi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 15:44:25 +0100 (MET)

Dear DiffServ WG,

A couple of weeks ago there was a discussion about admission 
control and DiffServ. In our view, the real point to discuss 
is not if DiffServ needs admission control, but whether 
DiffServ low level mechanisms ARE CAPABLE of supporting 
some form of implicit admission control function, where the term 
implicit comes necessarily out since we cannot handle explicit 
signaling and flow-level state information.

To this purpose, please (for the moment -  waiting for this draft to 
be archived) refer to:

http://cerbero.elet.polimi.it/ietf/draft_bianchi_blefari_adm_contr_over_af.txt

for an approach that attempts to link per flow admission control 
to standardized packet level mechanisms (namely, the AF PHB). We 
feel that our (unexpected?) suggested usage of the AF PHB may be 
of interest for DiffServ WG discussions.

Sincerely,

Giuseppe Bianchi
Nicola Blefari-Melazzi

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html