Subject: [Diffserv] The relation between PDB's and the SLSs

From: "Larry Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 22:19:22 -0500

Could someone inform me of how the PDB activities occuring the the DiffServ
working group or related to (or not related to) the SLS Internet Drafts such
as "Service Level Specification Semantics and Parameters". I have only just
recently been tracking the workgroup but intuitively it appears that the
objectives may be somehat overlapping. If not I an intereseted in if there
has been some formalism established regarding how the two activities relate
to each other.

In "Service Level Specfication and Usage Framework", by Yves T' Jones et.
al. it states that "The specification of SLSs is out of the scope of the
DiffServ WG. The definition of PDB's could however have an impact on the SLS
definition.... It is important to keep in mind that in general the PDB
definitions and their attributes are not expected to be directly visible to
customers at the SLS level".

This distinction is somewhat perplexing to me since it is not clear why the
PDB can not be itself be used instead of the SLS formalism specified in
those references. Can somewhat help me out with the formalism in how the two
transport domain level specifications are intended to coexist.

thanks in advance,

Larry Jones
Verizon Laboratories

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html