Subject: [Diffserv] New I-D on Proportional Forwarding PHB

From: "Raj Jain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 09:15:06 -0800

The following new I-D was uploaded to the IETF internet draft site on
2/23/00 and is
now available there for download.

Title: Proportional Forwarding PHB
Authors: P. Jagannathan, A. Durresi, and Raj Jain
Category: Informational
Filename: draft-jagannathan-diffserv-pf-00.txt

Abstract:
   We propose a new Per Hop Behavior (PHB) for differentiated services
   in IP networks.  In this PHB, each network subscriber (or flow)
   receives a bandwidth allocation proportional to the subscribed
   information rate.  This new PHB is called "Proportional Forwarding
   PHB" or PF PHB.  The marking mechanism at the source or ingress
   router and the queuing and discard behavior at core routers are
   clearly described.

   Three different sample marking algorithms are proposed in this
   document and are analyzed using simulations.  It is shown that it is
   possible to obtain proportional bandwidth allocation using proper
   marking mechanism at the ingress routers and multi-level threshold-
   based dropping mechanism at the core routers.

----------------------------------------
Raj Jain
Nayna Networks, Inc.
157 Topaz St
Milpitas, CA 95035
Phone: 408-956-8000 Ext 309
Fax: 408-956-8730

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html

---

From: Constantinos Dovrolis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 11:36:09 -0500 (EST)

Dear Raj,

I read your I-D and I think it is an interesting example of
providing relative services. Even though the diffserv WG is not
going to standardize any more PHBs AFAIK, it is still something
that can be implemented as an experimental PHB in some
"QoS-inclined" networks or in individual hot-spot links.

The PHB that you propose is quite relative (even though not the
same idea) with our work on Proportional Differentiation. I mean
the following papers, written with P. Ramanathan from U-Wisc
and D. Stiliadis from Bell Labs:
http://www.cis.udel.edu/~dovrolis/Papers/sigcomm99.ps
http://www.cis.udel.edu/~dovrolis/Papers/case.pdf
http://www.cis.udel.edu/~dovrolis/Papers/iwqos00.ps

or my PhD thesis:
http://www.cis.udel.edu/~dovrolis/Papers/thesis.ps.gz

Of course, your work targets more on proportional bandwidth
differentiation, while we focus on proportional delay and loss rate
differentiation. The reason we focus on per-hop delays and losses is
that all Internet applications have to be rate-adaptive (at least in
my opinion) depending on the network congestion (a la TCP),
instead of transmitting at a fixed rate.

It will be interesting to examine the similarities/differences
between the two approaches (bandwidth vs delays/losses) in depth,
and how they can be jointly implemented in the network core and edges.

Regards,

Constantinos

Computer and Information Sciences - University of Delaware

http://www.cis.udel.edu/~dovrolis/