Subject: [Diffserv] QoS question

From: "GN" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 19:23:43 +0200

Dear all 
I would like to ask:

1. Assume a ISP that provides service based in QoS. Using the diffserv it is able to achieve this?

2. Assume that a user that has QoS option  in a network starts surfing outside the network. the QoS options are holding or the time that passes the edge of his ISP then he becomes a normal user.

Thanks very much
George

---

From: demir <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 22:30:44 -0800 (PST)

George,
I am not very sure if I understood your questions. However, I would like
to answer your first question as much as I understood. I am unable to
understand your second question. I assume it is a question regarding to if
a QoS architecture is sender-based or receiver-based or both.
1) The higher level answer of your first question is "yes it can achieve
to provide QoS guarantees". Please note that QoS is a very general concept
used in the networking literature. My answers are IETF Diffserv
oriented. IETF diffserv architecture is based on relatively simple and
coarse-grained methods of providing *differentiated service* for the
Internet traffic. If you like to get more information and understand how
IETF diffserv arcitecture can achieve QoS guarantees (from Diffserv
perspective) and what it is, I would suggest that you read the info. on
the web page of IETF Diffserv, RFC2574 and RFC2575.
2) I assume your second question depends on the architecture defined. In
IETF Diffserv, sender of the traffic receives the QoS guarantees. The
service will depend on the SLA beween the customer and the service
provider. In that sense, diffserv is very open to various "business
models". There are other architectures that might be receiver-oriented or
both.

Alper K. Demir

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, GN wrote:

> 2. Assume that a user that has QoS option  in a network starts surfing 
> outside the network. the QoS options are holding or the time that passes
> the edge of his ISP then he becomes a normal user.
> 
> Thanks very much
> George
> 

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:40:31 -0600

I would suggest that this discussion continues on the diffserv interest
list.

  [email-masked]
  Send "subscribe diffserv-interest" to [email-masked]

But indeed, first read RFC 2475.

   Brian