Subject: [Diffserv] A question on the relationship between SLA and service class

From: demir <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 04:35:18 -0800 (PST)

Is there any assumption(s)/constrain(s) on the relationship between SLA
and service class; such as an SLAs are only for  per service class (mapped
into a DSCP)- meaning there can be only one SLA per service class between
two domains/there can be at most N SLAs where a DS domain is supporting N
service class?
if the answer is "NO", is it realistic to assume that applications
(/microflows) might ask for a "dynamic SLA"? If so, I assume a source
domain might have more than one SLA per service class (for the sake of
simplicity, I assume an application has an SLA interface).

Any idea/insight/comment? Thank you very much.

Alper K. Demir

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 10:08:36 -0600

We don't discuss SLAs in this WG. At most, we touch on SLSs (service level
sepcifications). The background to this is in draft-ietf-diffserv-new-terms-03.txt
and the key extract is:

>      - A Service Level Specfication (SLS) is a set of parameters and
>      their values which together define the service offered to a traffic
>      stream by a DS domain.
> 
>      - A Traffic Conditioning Specification (TCS) is a set of parameters
>      and their values which together specify a set of classfier rules
>      and a traffic profile.  A TCS is an integral element of an SLS.

The relationship between SLAs, SLSs and PDBs is covered in our
soon-to-be RFC, draft-ietf-diffserv-pdb-def-03.

An SLA is a contract and it contains whatever the contracting parties
choose to put in it; this is not a topic the IETF discusses.

  Brian