Subject: [Diffserv] Congestion avoidance, Class-Of-Service etc.

From: Pyda Srisuresh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 09:27:53 -0800 (PST)

Folks,

I have a couple of questions on the terminology and usage of
Quality-of-Service parameters. These are not necessarily
diffserv related entirely. Would appreciate hearing from those
of you knowledged in the area. Thanks.

1. WRED (Weighted Random Early Detection): 
   In a multi-port chassis, is WRED used in egress alone? (or) 
   Is WRED used in the ingress (prior to switch fabric) as well
   as egress?

   I understand, WRED can be used to color an IP packet (ex: by
   setting DSCP to one of the AF code points) on the egress. Do
   folks also use WRED for congestion avoidance within the 
   chassis, even as the packet is not colored as it exits the box? 

2. COS (Class Of Service): Would like to hear from folks on the 
   consistent meaning of the term in the industry.

   I believe, Class-of-Service surely defines packet priority and drop
   precedence. Now, Does Class-of-Service definition also include
   bandwidth requirements (or) Is Class-Of-Service independent of
   bandwidth, but may be associated with a bandwidth?

Thanks.

regards,
suresh

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get email at your own domain with Yahoo! Mail. 
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 15:37:34 -0600

Pyda,

You might try the [email-masked] list for
this sort of question. It's outside the diffserv charter.

  Brian