Subject: [Diffserv] I-D ACTION:draft-brunner-diffserv-pdb-one2any-ar-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 06:43:00 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: An one-to-any Assured Rate Per-Domain Behavior for 
                          Differentiated Services
	Author(s)	: M. Brunner et al.
	Filename	: draft-brunner-diffserv-pdb-one2any-ar-00.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 22-Feb-01
	
This document defines a Per-Domain Behavior (PDB) called one-to-any
Assured Rate. The PDB is useful to implement services in a
Differentiate Services domain, which need an assured rate. The
assurance is given with a certain well-defined probability for
traffic using this PDB. However, no delay and no jitter guarantees
are provided.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-brunner-diffserv-pdb-one2any-ar-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-brunner-diffserv-pdb-one2any-ar-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-brunner-diffserv-pdb-one2any-ar-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: demir <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 04:56:39 -0800 (PST)

Dear Authors,
I have couple of comments and questions:
- To me, one2any AR is not much different than AR PDB that is also somehow
stated in the draft, I guess.
- I think, once you support one2any; one2one and one2few is supported by
default cause they are subset of one2any where AR PDB already supports. 
- Is this PDB based on a "stochastic model" where "stochastic admission
rule" is used as a supporting mechanisms for assured rate for one2ay? If
so, I guess "probabilistic/stochastic AR name would be a better name that
supports one2one, one2few and one2any. If not, what do you think about
using a "stochastic model" as a "admission rule" and claiming for "assured
rate" in a real life? Does it really change the risk of having a (strong)
"probabilistic assured rate"?
- I think the main challenge for one2any is that without under-utilizing
the network how "provisioning problem" can be solved where assured rate is
claimed for one2one, one2few and one2any. In that sense, AR PDB has the
"well-provisioned" network assumtion. I guess the challenge is what are
the mechanisms to achieve this assumtion.

Alper K. Demir

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html