Subject: RE:[Diffserv] Does Diffserv need an admission control?

From: Rares SERBAN <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 12:32:28 +0200

If we will provision a diffserv domain it is still necessary to make admission control?

Thank you,

R.

------------------------------
K Free E-mail http://www.k.ro/
by KappaNet http://www.kappa.ro/

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html

---

From: Yoram Bernet <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 09:17:23 -0800

In theory, you can always provision sufficiently to avoid admission control.
In certain cases, this may be the right approach. In amny cases, especially
those in which you would like to deliver high quality services (such as
voice and video) and in which the bandwidth requirements of a single flow
are significant relative to the available capacity (implying a high variance
in capacity demand), you would have to significantly *over* provision. At
that point it becomes a matter of effieciency and economics. It is possible
that you could save a lot of bandwidth by using admission control instead of
over provisioning. 

For more discussion on this, see:

http://www.informit.com/content/index.asp?session_id={3FB56CD8-F99F-4DDE-B94
5-A181B6E4478D}&t={94AE5B48-1D7D-462A-A4A6-83CE19EC0705}&product_id={7BD25DC
C-38AB-4293-8C33-B0BD769F69C4}&element_id={27E3CBE1-3853-4EE5-9507-CE9610672
F45}

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Rares SERBAN [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, February 16, 2001 2:32 AM
> To: FredBaker
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE:[Diffserv] Does Diffserv need an admission control?
> 
> 
> 
> Archive: 
> http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/curr
> ent/maillist.html
> 
>

---

From: Rares SERBAN <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 12:46:18 +0200

Here Demir try to "hit" the root of the problem.

>I think "admission control" may be used for any "qualitative" SLA if
>needed. Also, Using "admission control" for "quantitative"/"qualitative" 
>SLAs will ease the "provisioning problem" of a diffserv domain(?).

In fact what is the "provision problem" for Diffserv network? We talked about admission control and provisioning for Diffserv but nobody has a clear point of view of what it is... The only draft which try to define (but is not complete) is Y.Bernet, Differentianted Services, Draft February 1999, <draft-ietf-diffserv-framework-02.txt>

Thank you,

R.