Subject: [Diffserv] model draft

From: Narasimha Swamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 17:06:26 +0530

Hi, 
Refering to the figure 2 in model-06.txt, it mentions that queing can be
done at the ingress interface also. My doubt is, queing is done at the
egress interface (if i understand correctly) and this interface is decided
only after forwarding functionality is applied. Because, the share of the
flow to which the packet belongs, is some % of egress link bandwidth. But in
this case, without knowing egress interface on which the packet is going to
be forwarded, how can we queue it at ingress side. 
Or, does the draft mean, anyway it will be queued at egress side, but
temporarily we can queue it at ingress side also(in which case, queues are
decided depending on ingress interface on which packet has arrived). In this
case, ingress queueing means just temporary storage of packets, i.e. no need
to apply shaping, scheduling. 

regards
swamy.

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 11:59:33 -0600

Yes, the word "queue" is to be taken literally and some vendors want to queue
at the ingress, so the model allows it.

   Brian

---

From: Andrew Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 23:04:51 -0800

... and presumably some of their customers want it too (one of the primary 
purposes of the Model is to try to make it easier for a customer to understand 
what they're actually getting for their $99.95).

Andrew