Subject: [Diffserv] Deadline extension: CFP Special session "ABR to the Internet", SCI 2001

From: Michael Welzl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 11:15:03 +0100

The deadline for submission of extended abstracts has been extended
to January 18th.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

C A L L   F O R   P A P E R S

Special Session: ABR to the Internet
====================================

THE 5TH WORLD MULTICONFERENCE ON SYSTEMICS, CYBERNETICS AND INFORMATICS
SCI'2001
July, 22-25, 2001

Orlando, Florida(USA)
Sheraton World

http://www.iiis.org/sci/

THE "ABR TO THE INTERNET" SESSION:
ATM's "Available Bit Rate" (ABR) service provides a dramatically reduced
cell loss ratio by means of a signaling mechanism called "Explicit Rate
Feedback"; information from the network is provided to end nodes in order to
facilitate adaptation.
On the contrary, adaptive Internet applications rely on mechanisms that
probe the network in order to avoid congestions; packet loss must be
experienced before it can be avoided on a long term basis. Developers of
commercial applications seem to avoid adaptation because they don't see
enough QoS benefit.

SCOPE:
As a first step, we have seen ECN enhance adaptation on the Internet.
We are looking for papers that represent the next step.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to, the following questions:
* What data should be provided to end nodes?
* Which QoS could be achieved?
* Where should the signaling take place? (end2end, edge2edge, core, ...)
* How do we deal with path changes?
* Can the signaling be incorporated with DiffServ, MPLS, ...?
* What about fairness issues and TCP-friendliness?

SUBMISSION OF PAPERS:
Prospective authors are invited to submit an extended abstract (about 1.5 to
2 pages) to Michael Welzl ([email-masked]) in postscript, PDF or
Word 97 format.
English is the official language of SCI 2001, thus all papers must be
submitted and presented in English.

EVALUATION PROCESS:
Papers will be evaluated for originality, significance, clarity, and
soundness.  Each paper will be refereed by several researchers in the
topical area.

THE CONFERENCE:
SCI 2001 is an international forum for scientists and engineers, researchers
and consultants, theoreticians and practitioners in the fields of Systemics,
Cybernetics and Informatics. It is a forum for focused disciplinary
research, as well as for multi, inter and transdiciplinary studies and
projects. One of its aims is to relate disciplines fostering analogical
thinking and, hence, producing input to the logical thinking.

Invited Sessions with high quality papers might be selected for multiple
author book publications. Two books are being published now as result of
good invited sessions.

IMPORTANT DATES:
18. 01.  Submission of extended abstracts (1.5 - 2 pages)
16. 02.  Notification of acceptance
13. 04.  full papers due

All accepted papers are expected to be presented at the conference.

OTHER INFORMATION:
It is planned to hold a BOF session on "ABR to the Internet" at a future
IETF meeting; authors are invited to join this collaborative effort which
may eventually be a realization of this session's topic. Further information
on the BOF can be found at http://www.tk.uni-linz.ac.at/~michael/ptp

SESSION CHAIR / CONTACT:
Michael Welzl
Telecooperation Group
Dpt. of Computer Science
Johannes Kepler University of Linz
Altenberger Str. 69
A-4040 Linz, Austria
Phone: +43 (732) 2468 - 9264
Fax: +43 (732) 2468 - 9829
E-mail: [email-masked]

SESSION CO-CHAIR:
Prof. Dr. Max Mühlhäuser
TU Darmstadt - FB 20
FG Telekooperation
Alexanderstrasse 6, D-64283 Darmstadt / Germany
Phone: +49 (6151) 16 - 3709
Fax: +49 (6151) 16 - 3052

Refer to http://www.tk.uni-linz.ac.at/~michael/abr2internet for up-to-date
information.

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html