Subject: [Diffserv] MIB MF classifier

From: Justin Fletcher <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 18:07:21 -0800

I realize this is late in the process, so my apologies in advance.

The model defines a generic MF classifier based on the standard 6-tuple,
as exemplified in the model:

"A common type of MF classifier is a 6-tuple classifier that classifies
based on six fields from the IP and TCP or UDP headers (destination
address, source address, IP protocol, source port, destination port, and
DSCP)."

However, its representation in the MIB is much more specific,
limiting fields to a single value or a single range:

    diffServSixTupleClfrDstAddrType  InetAddressType,
    diffServSixTupleClfrDstAddr      InetAddress,
    diffServSixTupleClfrDstAddrMask  Unsigned32,
    diffServSixTupleClfrSrcAddrType  InetAddressType,
    diffServSixTupleClfrSrcAddr      InetAddress,
    diffServSixTupleClfrSrcAddrMask  Unsigned32,
    diffServSixTupleClfrDscp         Dscp,
    diffServSixTupleClfrProtocol     Unsigned32,
    diffServSixTupleClfrDstL4PortMin SixTupleClfrL4Port,
    diffServSixTupleClfrDstL4PortMax SixTupleClfrL4Port,
    diffServSixTupleClfrSrcL4PortMin SixTupleClfrL4Port,
    diffServSixTupleClfrSrcL4PortMax SixTupleClfrL4Port,

With this representation, it is impossible to specify a single
classifier entry which matches "protocol TCP or UDP."

Can this representation be generalized to permit individual
values, a list of values, a range (or value/mask, as appropriate)
or a list of ranges?

In addition, how is "unspecified" represented for each field?

Justin Fletcher
[email-masked]