Subject: RE: [Diffserv] The position of IntServ/RSVP, DiffServ in the Inte rnet network model

From: "Iliff, Tina" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 15:38:33 +0000

My opinion is that it is closer to the application layer vice the network
layer.  In other words it does not serve to determine where traffic is
going...well, RSVP in a way does; however, Diffserv does not explicitly
perform this action
Tina Iliff

	-----Original Message-----
	From:	Young S. Choi [mailto:[email-masked]]
	Sent:	Tuesday, December 05, 2000 7:39 PM
	To:	[email-masked]
	Subject:	[Diffserv] The position of IntServ/RSVP, DiffServ in
the Internet network model

	Hi DiffServer

	I read

	Xipeng Xiao and  Lionel Ni, "Internet QoS: A Big Picture", IEEE
Network
	Magazine, March/April, pp. 8-18, 1999.

	(you can get above paper in http://www.cse.msu.edu/~xiaoxipe/)

	Last of that paper, author shows the position of IntServ & DiffServ
as
	transport layer.

	Well, I can't sure whether intserv is osi layer 4 or not.

	But I have thought DiffServ OSI 3 Layer. I mean, Network layer. Am I
wrong?
	I can't find any reason about why diffserv is mapped to transport
layer.

	Thanks a lot in advance,
	And with best regards...

	--
	Young S.Choi

	_______________________________________________
	diffserv mailing list
	[email-masked]
	http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
	Archive:
http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.h
tml