Subject: RE: [Diffserv] The position of IntServ/RSVP,DiffServ in the Inte rnet network model

From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 11:20:16 -0500

Instead, I would have put it closer to the Link Layer than to the Network
Layer. Since, after all, what Diffserv wants to do is similar to what ATM
does when it sits under IP, or MPLS for that matter, and is also similar to
what VLANs might do when they sit under IP.
 
If somehow the Transport Layer is used to determine which Diffserv code
point should be used, this approach is similar to certain IP over ATM
schemes, like AEREQUIPA (I believe it was), where the ATM switch uses some
preconfigured rules to set up the ATM SVC with appropriate QoS for that IP
packet stream. That would be Link Layer.
 
Diffserv does operate between routers, though, and Diffserv could be used to
affect the routing decision. So my take is that it must be operating at the
Network Layer.
 
(The WG chairs are about to bounce this to diffserv-interest.)
 
Bert
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

-----Original Message-----
From: Iliff, Tina [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2000 10:39 AM
To: 'Young S. Choi'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Diffserv] The position of IntServ/RSVP,DiffServ in the Inte
rnet network model

My opinion is that it is closer to the application layer vice the network
layer.  In other words it does not serve to determine where traffic is
going...well, RSVP in a way does; however, Diffserv does not explicitly
perform this action

Tina Iliff 

	BM__MailData-----Original Message----- 
From:   Young S. Choi [ mailto:[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> ] 
Sent:   Tuesday, December 05, 2000 7:39 PM 
To:     [email-masked] 
Subject:        [Diffserv] The position of IntServ/RSVP, DiffServ in the
Internet network model 

	Hi DiffServer 

	I read 

	Xipeng Xiao and  Lionel Ni, "Internet QoS: A Big Picture", IEEE
Network 
Magazine, March/April, pp. 8-18, 1999. 

	(you can get above paper in http://www.cse.msu.edu/~xiaoxipe/
<http://www.cse.msu.edu/~xiaoxipe/> ) 

	Last of that paper, author shows the position of IntServ & DiffServ
as 
transport layer. 

	Well, I can't sure whether intserv is osi layer 4 or not. 

	But I have thought DiffServ OSI 3 Layer. I mean, Network layer. Am I
wrong? 
I can't find any reason about why diffserv is mapped to transport layer. 

	Thanks a lot in advance, 
And with best regards... 

	-- 
Young S.Choi 

	_______________________________________________ 
diffserv mailing list 
[email-masked] 
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
<http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv>  
Archive:
http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.h
tml
<http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.
html>

---

From: "Yoram Bernet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 08:43:38 -0800

Check out RFC 2998. It talks about using RSVP to gain admission to the
diffserv 'link layer'.

-----Original Message-----
From: Manfredi, Albert E [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2000 8:20 AM
To: Iliff, Tina; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Diffserv] The position of IntServ/RSVP,DiffServ in the
Inte rnet network model

Instead, I would have put it closer to the Link Layer than to the
Network Layer. Since, after all, what Diffserv wants to do is similar to
what ATM does when it sits under IP, or MPLS for that matter, and is
also similar to what VLANs might do when they sit under IP.
 
If somehow the Transport Layer is used to determine which Diffserv code
point should be used, this approach is similar to certain IP over ATM
schemes, like AEREQUIPA (I believe it was), where the ATM switch uses
some preconfigured rules to set up the ATM SVC with appropriate QoS for
that IP packet stream. That would be Link Layer.
 
Diffserv does operate between routers, though, and Diffserv could be
used to affect the routing decision. So my take is that it must be
operating at the Network Layer.

Bert
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Iliff, Tina [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2000 10:39 AM
To: 'Young S. Choi'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Diffserv] The position of IntServ/RSVP,DiffServ in the
Inte rnet network model

My opinion is that it is closer to the application layer vice the
network layer.  In other words it does not serve to determine where
traffic is going...well, RSVP in a way does; however, Diffserv does not
explicitly perform this action

Tina Iliff 

	-----Original Message----- 
From:   Young S. Choi [ mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent:   Tuesday, December 05, 2000 7:39 PM 
To:     [email-masked] 
Subject:        [Diffserv] The position of IntServ/RSVP, DiffServ in the
Internet network model 

	Hi DiffServer 

	I read 

	(you can get above paper in http://www.cse.msu.edu/~xiaoxipe/) 

	Last of that paper, author shows the position of IntServ &
DiffServ as 
transport layer. 

	But I have thought DiffServ OSI 3 Layer. I mean, Network layer.
Am I wrong? 
I can't find any reason about why diffserv is mapped to transport layer.

	Thanks a lot in advance, 
And with best regards... 

	-- 
Young S.Choi 

	_______________________________________________ 
diffserv mailing list 
[email-masked] 
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv 
Archive:
http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/mailli
st.html