Subject: [Diffserv] RE: diffserv-pib-02

From: "Iliff, Tina" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 16:02:51 +0000

All,

I withdraw my second question below since after given more thought I
realized a use for the values.

Thank you
Tina Iliff

		-----Original Message-----
		From:	Iliff, Tina 
		Sent:	Monday, December 04, 2000 1:21 PM
		To:	[email-masked]'
		Subject:	diffserv-pib-02

		List,

		After reading the latest diffserv PIB draft, diffserv-pib-02
I have the following issues/questions:
			1.  It seems contradictory that the
qosIfClassificationCaps class provides the PEP with the flexibility to or
not to support classification on ingress and the explanation of the
qosClfrElementOrder attribute contains the following statement:  "On a given
interface, there must be a complete  classifier  in  place  at  all  times
in   the ingress direction.  This means that there will always be one or
more filters that match every possible pattern  that  could be presented in
an incoming packet.  There is no such requirement in the egress direction."
It makes more sense to mandate a classifier on ingress since there needs to
be some way of determining which packets should be treated by each specific
datapath element configuration.  Can someone please clarify?  Recommend
removing the possible value (i.e. inputIpClassification) from the
qosIfClassificationCapsSpec.
2.	qosIfSchedulingCaps:  Please clarify the proposed use of the
QueueSize and TotalQueueSize attributes given the new PIB
structure(specifically the structure of the install classes).

			Thanks,
			Tina