Subject: RE: [Diffserv] RE: Yesterday's EF discussion

From: Jon Bennett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:35:56 -0500

Stanislav,
 
> Internet2 implementation experience probably should not influence the
> standartization process.  

Sorry Internet2 was the most convenient example at hand, so I used it 
rather that making claims based on proprietarily network deployments whose 
details can not be discussed in public. Is there some reason why you don't 
think the Internet2 experience is useful for us to examine?

> But in case there's any interest in it, it's
> our understanding of EF that you provide all of bandwidth, minimal
> jitter (but not necessarily bounded in a formal way by a constant user
> can easily learn), and virtually no loss.

Yes I would agree entirely that is why we put measurements of both 
bandwidth and jitter into our proposal, and not just jitter. 

jon

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html

---

From: stanislav shalunov <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Dec 2000 14:57:18 -0500

Jon Bennett <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sorry Internet2 was the most convenient example at hand, so I used
> it rather that making claims based on proprietarily network
> deployments whose details can not be discussed in public. Is there
> some reason why you don't think the Internet2 experience is useful
> for us to examine?

Jon,

All Internet2 work is completely open, including philosophy and actual
deployment details.

However, the implementation of Abilene Premium Service (based on
vendor-specific implementations [note plural] of PHB that we
understand is close to EF) is still incomplete.

More or less current status and plans are outlined in my talk given
during Internet2 Atlanta Member Meeting this fall:
http://www.internet2.edu/abilene/qos/apsAtlanta.pdf

(QBone architecture referenced within can be found at
http://sss.advanced.org/arch/)

The incomplete implementation that we have can surely be examined.
One should keep in mind its incompleteness when referring to it within
the framework of standartization.

-- 
Stanislav Shalunov <[email-masked]>	Internet Engineer, Internet2

Clothes make the man.  Naked people have little or no influence on
society.                                             -- Mark Twain