Subject: [Diffserv] diffsev-pib-02: qosQSchdParam

From: "Iliff, Tina" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 16:37:16 +0000

All,

I have a concern regarding the structure of the qosQ table.  It contains an
attribute named SchdParam which provides the parameters used by the
scheduler element for this particular queue.  My concern is that there is
also a SchdParam attribute in the qosScheduler table.  It makes more sense
to leave the parameter in the qosScheduler table and not in the qosQ table.
It seems it is a duplication of information.

Tina Iliff

---

From: "Kwok-Ho Chan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 14:27:49 -0500

Tina:

Because a scheduler is a "Fan-In" element, many input, single
output;

the queues that fan-into a scheduler will each need a SchdParam
entry

to specify its scheduling order with respect to the other queues that
feed

into the same scheduler.

It is also possible to have scheduler feeding into scheduler, hence
the

SchdParam entry associated with a scheduler entry.

Hope this clear things up for you, please let me know.

-- Kwok --

At 04:37 PM 12/6/00 +0000, Iliff, Tina wrote:

All,

I have a concern regarding the structure of the qosQ
table.  It contains an attribute named SchdParam which provides the
parameters used by the scheduler element for this particular queue.  My
concern is that there is also a SchdParam attribute in the qosScheduler
table.  It makes more sense to leave the parameter in the qosScheduler
table and not in the qosQ table.  It seems it is a duplication of
information.

Tina Iliff

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www2.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/diffserv/current/maillist.html

---

From: "Iliff, Tina" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 21:11:04 +0000

Kwok,
 
I understand the "Fan-In" concept and architecture.  However, how about
considering this suggestion:  add a priority attribute to qosQ, remove the
SchdParam attribute and remove the priority attribute from qosSchdParam
since priority is a Queue specific "tag" and not Scheduler specific.
 
Tina

-----Original Message-----
From: Kwok-Ho Chan [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2000 1:28 PM
To: Iliff, Tina
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: [Diffserv] diffsev-pib-02: qosQSchdParam

Tina:
Because a scheduler is a "Fan-In" element, many input, single output;
the queues that fan-into a scheduler will each need a SchdParam entry
to specify its scheduling order with respect to the other queues that feed
into the same scheduler.
It is also possible to have scheduler feeding into scheduler, hence the
SchdParam entry associated with a scheduler entry.
Hope this clear things up for you, please let me know.
-- Kwok --

All, 

Tina Iliff

---

From: "Kwok-Ho Chan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 14:50:13 -0500

Tina:

If we remove SchdParam attribute from qosQ, then you are proposing
moving

the MinRate and MaxRate parameters from SchdParam Table entry into
qosQ

also.  Correct?  Functionally, what will this achieve?

One can say that Priority is a characteristic of a specific queue that is
used

by the scheduler to perform scheduling functionality.  And the
priority for each

queue is a relative characteristic with respect to all the other queues
serviced

by the same scheduler.

-- Kwok --

At 09:11 PM 12/6/00 +0000, Iliff, Tina wrote:

Kwok,

I understand the
"Fan-In" concept and architecture.  However, how about
considering this suggestion:  add a priority attribute to qosQ, remove
the SchdParam attribute and remove the priority attribute from
qosSchdParam since priority is a Queue specific "tag" and not
Scheduler specific.

Tina

-----Original Message-----

To: Iliff, Tina

Cc: [email-masked]'

Tina:

Because a scheduler is a "Fan-In" element, many input,
single output;

into the same scheduler.

-- Kwok --

All,

I have a concern regarding the structure of the qosQ table.  It
contains an attribute named SchdParam which provides the parameters used
by the scheduler element for this particular queue.  My concern is that
there is also a SchdParam attribute in the qosScheduler table.  It makes
more sense to leave the parameter in the qosScheduler table and not in
the qosQ table.  It seems it is a duplication of
information.

Tina Iliff

---

From: "Iliff, Tina" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:33:28 +0000

Tina Iliff 

-----Original Message-----
From: Iliff, Tina 
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2000 4:30 PM
To: 'Kwok-Ho Chan'
Subject: RE: [Diffserv] diffsev-pib-02: qosQSchdParam

Kwok,
 
Since multiple inter-mixed qosQ and qosScheduler entries can reference the
same qosSchdParam entry and the qosQNext value must always be a qosScheduler
instance, then I propose just creating one table to include queue
attributes, scheduler and scheduling parameters.  In this case, the
qosAlgDropQMeasure value can be a reference to a QId.  
 
I believe this may be a little more efficient and would provide a slight
reduction in referencing.

Tina Iliff 

-----Original Message-----
From: Kwok-Ho Chan [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2000 2:55 PM
To: Iliff, Tina
Cc: Kwok-Ho Chan
Subject: RE: [Diffserv] diffsev-pib-02: qosQSchdParam

Tina:
What do you have in mind when you are thinking of moving the scheduling
attributes (priority, min/max rates) into the Q?
There are also multi layer schedulers, meaning schedulers also need
scheduling
attributes (output of a scheduler goes into another scheduler as one of many
inputs).
This would mean the scheduling attributes will need to exist there too.
I would like to understand what you are trying to do better, and would not
mind incorporating that into the PIB and MIB if appropriate.
Thanks!
-- Kwok --

At 09:11 PM 12/6/00 +0000, you wrote: 

Kwok,

Tina 

-----Original Message----- 

To: Iliff, Tina 

Cc: [email-masked]' 

Tina: 

into the same scheduler. 

-- Kwok --

All, 

Tina Iliff

---

From: "Iliff, Tina" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:40:15 +0000

But that still leaves the issue of a Scheduler following a Scheduler...the
queue attributes would not be needed in this case....unless it is specified
that the queue attributes can have a NULL value

Tina Iliff 

-----Original Message-----
From: Iliff, Tina 
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2000 4:30 PM
To: 'Kwok-Ho Chan'
Subject: RE: [Diffserv] diffsev-pib-02: qosQSchdParam

Kwok,

Tina Iliff 

-----Original Message-----
From: Kwok-Ho Chan [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2000 2:55 PM
To: Iliff, Tina
Cc: Kwok-Ho Chan
Subject: RE: [Diffserv] diffsev-pib-02: qosQSchdParam

Tina:

Kwok,

Tina 

-----Original Message----- 

To: Iliff, Tina 

Cc: [email-masked]' 

Tina: 

into the same scheduler. 

-- Kwok --

All, 

Tina Iliff