Subject: [Diffserv] Questions

From: Davis Ford <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:28:11 -0500

Hello, 

I am new to the list.  I am curious if anyone has used diffserv with the
IBM 2216 router?  

I have done some tests with the router & IPv6 Traffic Class and Flow
Label bits.  I was interested in finding out if the router did any kind
of prioritizing based on these header fields.  My initial tests show
that it does not, and I can't get any answers from IBM regarding this. 
The documentation lists nothing about doing QoS with these fields.  I do
know that the router supports diffserv (which is new to me -- I am
reading the RFC's now).  I understand the DS bits are really the Traffic
Class bits in IPv6, so my next step is to try to apply some diffserv
policies at the router based on RFC recommendations and re-run my tests
to see what I get.  So, I am curious if diffserv looks like it will be
the de-facto standard for QoS in IPv6, and if so, the current traffic
class label defined in RFC 2460 - will no longer be used as such, but
instead dedicated entirely to diffserv??

Davis

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:49:32 -0500

Davis,

As far as IPv6 goes - yes, diffserv via the Traffic Class field is supposed to
be identical to diffserv via the IPv4 TOS octet. So far the IPv6 flow label
field is not part of the solution.

IntServ/RSVP is also supposed to work identically for IPv6.

As for the IBM box I will reply to you off-list.

  Brian