Subject: [Diffserv] Resource provisioning to support SLAs

From: Huan Pham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 15:22:12 +1000

Hi DiffServers,

I have a concern regarding the way a DiffServ provider do resource
provisioning to support SLAs

As I understand in SLA, the bandwidth required by customers for specific
classes of service is specified, but the DiffServ provider has no
information about where that traffic going to.

There might be two possible sollutions:

1  -  DiffServe Provider over-provision the resource (bandwidth, memory)
so that in the worst case, if all traffic (conforming to SLAs from
different customers) heading to one destination (let's say one customer
network), the traffic will not end up with a bottle neck.

This is of course extremely inefficient way of resource provisioning.

2  -  Based on historical measured traffic information (which tell us
where the customers' traffic going to/from), DiffServ provider provision
the resource on a statistical basis. The DiffServ provider is not sure
that in all cases its resource provision is enough. If this is the case,
I just don't know what would happen if there is not enough resource to
cope with the worst case mentioned above? What the DiffServ get penalty
for breaking SLAs.

I would appreciate any reply, comments.

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/

---

From: "Iliff, Tina" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 14:11:07 +0000

Huan,

I agree, partially, with your second option stated below.  the only concern
which I have with it is that you also need to take into account network
growth.  Network leg bottlenecking is an issue which can be addressed with
congestion control at the specific network edge router; i.e. smart
configuration of the filters, queues and thresholds of the ingress
interface.  In this case, classification and scheduling/action based on
packet sizes and queue status (i.e. how much traffic is in the queues at the
moment) is the key.

-----Original Message-----
From: Huan Pham [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2000 12:22 AM
To: DiffServ mailing list
Subject: [Diffserv] Resource provisioning to support SLAs

Hi DiffServers,

---

From: Jay Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 20:23:32 -0700

> Sent: Monday, September 18, 2000 7:08 PM
> To: Jay Wang
> Cc: DiffServ mailing list
> Thank Jay and Tina very much  for your responses.
> 
> 
> > Depend on the kind of traffic, this is not necessary the 
> case though.
> 
> You mean that the throughput is not always need to be stated 
> in the SLA?
> Could you make it clearer please
> 

No, for some traffic streams you may know the destinations at provisioning 
time. In this case, the gussing game using a statistical analysis is not 
needed since you would know the path by looking up the routing table.