Subject: [Diffserv] Questions about DiffServ MIB-04

From: Moshe Yosevshvilli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 08:21:35 +0200

I've got two questions on the 04 version of the DiffServ MIB, and I'd thank
you if you could help me:

I have a problem understanding the full meaning of "Next" pointer in the MIB
elements:

1)	If "Next" is 0.0: "The value zeroDotZero in this variable indicates
no further DiffServ treatment is performed on
	this traffic by the current interface for this interface direction."
(MIB page 45 diffServAlgDropNext). 
	What do you mean by no DiffServ treatment ?
	As I see it there are some elements such as action of
absolute-dropper and outbound scheduler, that require 
	their "Next" to be 0.0. But for the rest of the elements it has a
different meaning.
	Does it mean that the traffic should continue as best-effort,
discarded or non of the above ?

2)	If "Next" points an entry that doesn't exist (from
diffServAlgDropNext page 45 in the MIB: "if the row pointed to 
	does not exist, the algorithmic dropper element is considered
inactive") where does the traffic go next ? 
	And whose responsibility is it to send it there ?
	The algorithmic dropper is just an example. The same stands for the
meter. If "SuccessNext" doesn't exist,
	that means the meter is inactive, so what should be done with the
traffic ?

Thanks.