Subject: [Diffserv] Beginner's question

From: Attila Nagy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 19:10:24 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

I don't know it is the right list or not but I hope that if not you will
recommend another one which is more suitable to ask such questions.

Our college's Internet connection is 6 Mbps through a Multilink PPP bundle
(3x2Mbps PPP links). The router on our side is an IBM 2210 and on the
other side is a CISCO 4000.

After some migration between some colleges here we've figured out that we
need bandwidth management to satisfy everybody's needs.

I've looked up the manual of the IBM 2210 and found that diffserv might be
our salvation.

I've started to experiment with it on our side and had half success: I can
limit bandwidth only one way, from our router to the CISCO.

My question is: is it possible to use diffserv only on the downlink router
and limit several IPs' bandwidth usage both up and downwards?

If it's possible what should I looking for and if it's not what do you
recommend for this task?

Thank you,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attila Nagy                                    e-mail:  [email-masked]
Technical College of Budapest (BMF.HU)            Tel: +361 210 1415 (194)
H-1084 Budapest, Tavaszmezo u. 15-17.             Fax: +361 210 1433

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/

---

From: Ping Pan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 22:09:16 -0400 (EDT)

> I've looked up the manual of the IBM 2210 and found that diffserv might be

;-) Wish we can add and deploy more features on 2210... sigh.
 
> and limit several IPs' bandwidth usage both up and downwards?

I think you can use DiffServ to regulate incoming and outgoing traffic
rate. To that end, you can adjust the buffer space on 2210's on ingress,
and specify the rate on egress.

After all, according to the DiffServ RFC's, you should be able to config a
minimum guarantee rate for each of the AF classes.

Good luck!

- Ping