Subject: [Diffserv] MIB?

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 09:21:20 -0400

Are there any other folks here with opinions on this?

To restate with the piece I had missed  (apologies if I misuse some SNMP 
terminology):

Create a new DiffServStartingPointTable, indexed by IfIndex and 
IfDirection.  The only column would be a RowPointer to the first diffserv 
packet handling element in this direction on this interface.
As a result, we remove IfIndex and IfDirection from the Classifier, Meter, 
Action, Queue, and Scheduler table.

The justification fundamentally is that looking at a given entry in one of 
these tables, while IfIndex and IfDirection do tell you what interface and 
direction this is attached to, it does not tell you how it is used 
there.  And when using the MIB to actually do something, one just needs to 
know what the starting point is and follow the pointers from there.

The minor drawback is that the TCB numbers will be device scoped instead of 
interface scoped.  But instead we get rid of the task of "finding the 
smallest used TCB number" that was going to be needed to find starting points.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/