Subject: [Diffserv] Diffserv EF design team

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 15:27:05 -0500

As the Diffserv co-chair who is not a co-author of the EF sepcification,
I have asked Joel Halpern to chair the EF design team. The other members
of the design team are:

  Grenville Armitage 
  Brijesh Kumar 
  Alessio Casati
  John Schnizlein 

with one other person expected to be added on return from vacation.
The remit of the design team is attached.

Regards
  Brian Carpenter

-----

Remit:
     The differentiated services working group has determined that
     there is a need for a revision to RFC 2598.  There is significant
     disagreement about what form this revision should take.  The
     design team is tasked to produce a specific proposed revision.
     The intent is to produce a single new definition with
     a) A description of the level of clarity needed.  It is recognized
     that such a description is itself not precise, but is helpful to
     the community.
     b) A suitable precise description of a single EF PHB.  It is
     expected that the description will require both clear english text
     and mathematical formulation.
     c) and to the degree possible meet both the intent of the original
     authors and the issues raised in the recent internet draft. The
     design team will work with the various authors to meet the
     requirements.
     The result of this work will be brought to the working group for
     review, revision, and if deemed suitable advancement as a
     successor RFC. The Internet Draft with the results will be
     submitted by the I-D cutoff for the December meeting.

Work Plan:
     The design team work can be divided into four phases:
     1) Problem statement - We will spell out what degree of precision
     we believe the definition of EF needs, and why
     2) Overview of PHB - We will agree on an imprecise definition of
     EF that we can use as a touchstone as we work on the precise
     definition.  This definition will be discussed with the various
     authors with the understanding that it is rough.
     3) Precise definition - We will write english and mathematics to
     define EF with an appropriate degree of precision.  This
     definition will be reviewed with the teams of authors for comments
     and clarifications.  It is likely that there will be several
     iterations of this, and possibly even several distinct approaches
     tried if necessary.  The design team may even decide to take two
     different definitions and attempt to refine them in parallel in
     order to highlight the differences and issues.
     4) Internet Draft - We will produce an internet draft to propose
     to the working group as the successor to 2598.

----------

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:10:50 -0500

The additional member of the design team mentioned below is

   Jon Crowcroft

Regards
   Brian