Subject: Re: [Diffserv] We think this is the MIB edits that we aresupposed to do

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 08:55:11 -0400

>I am sorry, but I was not in the diffserv meeting myself.
>But is my understanding that the specific tables will
>have a pointer to the generic tables??
>With other words, a diffServMeterTable entry can be pointed
>to by as well a diffServTBMeterEntry and
>diffServWindowBasedMeterEntry.
>(Assuming the diffServWindowBasedMeterTable will be added.)
>
>This sounds broken to me as a MIB design, but I could be wrong
>in the interpretation what you ment as open issue 31..
No, I wasn't suggesting that there be pointers from the
specific tables back up to the generic ones.  My point
was that the generic-to-specific pointers should be
RowPointers, rather than OIDs pointing to the root of
a specific table.

>In addition to this if you would make the SYNTAX-type of
>diffServActionSpecific a 'RowPointer', it cannot point to
>the diffServAbsoluteDropAction (which is not a row in a table)
Yes, I acknowledged this point in my original note.  I'm not
sure, but I think that Fred has proposed that we go ahead and
use a RowPointer here anyway, on the theory that the
definition of the RowPointer TC allows (implicitly) for a
boundary case where the RowPointer contains an Object
Identity OID rather than a pointer to a row in a table.

Regards,
Bob

Bob Moore
IBM Networking Software
+1-919-254-4436
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/