Subject: [Diffserv] DHCP user class

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 13:35:09 -0500

Diffservers might want to look at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-userclass-08.txt

It's already passed last call and is on the IESG's plate. But it
says

   It is often desirable to provide different levels of service
   to different users of an IP network.
   In order for an IP network to implement this service
   differentiation, it needs a way to classify users. A simple
   solution to this is to use source IP addresses for classification.
   Under this scheme, network administrators first configure network
   devices such as routers to recognize traffic from a particular
   source IP address (or address range) and handle it specially to
   meet the desired level of service. 

If you think this is a good/bad idea, *now* is the time to say so.

   Brian

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/

---

From: Grenville Armitage <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 16:02:09 -0700

Brian,

At the very least the first half of the current introduction
is a speculative description of a service differentiation scheme
that hasn't been documented anywhere else in the IETF to my
knowledge. There are no citations to models. I hope the IESG will
request that the document authors either clarify the relationship
between Diffserv/Intserv and their service differentiation model,
or simply remove the 'classify on source address' example.

cheers,
gja

-- 
________________________________________________________________________
Grenville Armitage                    http://members.home.net/garmitage/
Bell Labs Research Silicon Valley