Subject: [Diffserv] A Simple One-line Definition of EF service.

From: Mahadevan Iyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 18:56:12 -0700 (PDT)

Here's a simple one-line definition of the EF service. If you think about
this definition carefully, it clarifies many of the doubts that people 
expressed in the previous emails.

------------------------------------------------------------------
First, I establish some convenient terminology:

'Packet Arrival': The last bit of a packet has entered the router.
'Packet Departure': The last bit of a packet has quit the router.
'EF_Period': 1/Configured_EF_Rate. Here, the rate is measured in bits/sec.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Definition of EF service:

A packet of size B bits departs within B*(EF-Period) time units of
entering the router.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Appendix:
Note that above definition immediately clarifies those doubts about actual
being less than configured rate and what not :)
Among other things, the above definition implies that: As long as the 
packet arrival rate is less than the configured-rate, the actual output
rate seen is equal to the arrival rate.

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/