Subject: [Diffserv] Per Hop Behavior Identification Codes (RFC2836)

From: Radhakrishna <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 11:45:36 +0530

Do these codes work across DiffServ domains ?
i.e. whether we can use these codes to get consistent PHBs
across domains, while the DSCPs used in these domains could be
different ? Can they be used by end hosts to signal the desired
PHBs to the network ?

Also what about the parameters, if these codes are used for
negotiating the bandwidth ? Although, these codes uniquely
identify the PHBs, I think there should be some parameters to
characterize these PHBs so that we can appropriately map or
bring up VC with required parameters.

I am using these codes to signal the desired PHBs through RSVP as explained
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rk-diffserv-rsvp-sig-00.txt.
This draft proposes siganling and admission control for DiffServ networks
using RSVP, where in end hosts or the access nodes can request the
desired PHBs (through PHB Id codes) along with PHB parameters for
their traffic. Like to know whether it is appropriate to use these codes for
that purpose.

Thanks,
.....RK

**************************************************
Radhakrishna C
Staff Engineer,
Motorola India Electronics Ltd.,
The Senate, 33A, Ulsoor Road,
Bangalore-560042, INDIA.
Phone: +91-80-5598615,  Fax: +91-80-5598660
Email: [email-masked]
************************************************** 

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 02:12:49 -0500

Yes, these codes are global in scope (whereas DSCP values are local).

QOS parameters for signalling are quite independent of the PHBID codes.
It's a quite separate question, outside the mandate of the diffserv
WG.

  Brian

-- 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian E Carpenter 
Program Director, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM 
On assignment for IBM at http://www.iCAIR.org 
Attend INET 2000: http://www.isoc.org/inet2000
Non-IBM email: [email-masked]