Subject: [Diffserv] new internet draft

From: Paul Hurley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 17:40:40 +0200

We have produced an Internet-Draft on "The Alternative Best-Effort Service", 
the announcement and abstract of which we attach below.

Alternative Best Effort, ABE, is as a candidate differentiated service.  The 
goal is to provide low delay to rate adaptive applications such as internet 
telephony. The idea is to offer applications the choice between receiving a 
lower end-to-end delay and receiving more overall throughput.

Naturally, we appreciate any comments or questions.

Paul + Jean-Yves.

---
A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : The Alternative Best-Effort Service
        Author(s)       : P. Hurley, J. Le Boudec
        Filename        : draft-hurley-alternative-best-effort-00.txt
        Pages           : 6
        Date            : 05-Jun-00
        
Alternative Best-Effort (ABE) is a novel service for IP networks. It
offers applications the choice between receiving a lower end-to-end
delay and receiving more overall throughput. Every best effort packet
is tagged as either green or blue. Green packets receive a low, 
bounded queueing delay. To ensure blue packets do not suffer as a
result, green flows receive less throughput during bouts of
congestion.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hurley-alternative-best-effort-00.txt
----
Abstract

   Alternative Best-Effort (ABE) is a novel service for IP networks. It
   offers applications the choice between receiving a lower end-to-end
   delay and receiving more overall throughput. Every best effort packet
   is tagged as either green or blue. Green packets receive a low, 
   bounded queueing delay. To ensure blue packets do not suffer as a
   result, green flows receive less throughput during bouts of
   congestion.
   
   The unique combination of lower delay with reduced throughput for 
   green makes it different from existing differentiated
   service proposals such as expedited forwarding [5] and assured
   forwarding [6]. The incentive to choose one or other is based on the
   nature of one's traffic and on traffic conditions. Typically, green
   flows have real-time deadlines (e.g. interactive audio), while blue
   traffic (e.g. bulk data transfer) seeks to minimise overall transfer
   time. There is benefit for all traffic in that green traffic achieves
   a low delay and blue traffic will receive at least as much throughput
   as it would in a flat best-effort network and usually more. Neither
   traffic type can be said to be better, thus flat rate pricing may be
   maintained, and there is no need for reservations or profiles. 
 
   In this document we define the ABE service, discuss its usefulness, 
   and describe the requirements of router algorithms for ABE support. 
   ABE is not restricted to any specific implementation. One FIFO based
   implementation is described in [10]. Other implementations such as
   per-flow queueing based ones are certainly do-able. We invite 
   universities and research centres to define other implementations.

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/

---

From: Venumadhav Josyula <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 14:49:34 -0400 (EDT)

I am interested in rady your draft for Aternativr Best Effort, I went to 
IETF website I could not find this draft. I did an extensive search
there so if you have an copy of it with you can you sent send me e-mail
my

e-mail is 

	[email-masked]

	my name is venu

cheers 
venu

>    universities and research centres to define other implementations.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Josyula Venumadhav

Residnce:
4303 Apt#L, Ramona Drive
Fairfax, Virginia-22030
						
Phone:
Residence: (703)-359-5419
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!