Subject: [Diffserv] "Critical" traffic in a DS Domain

From: "Wilson, Greg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 08:33:37 -0500

All-

What would be the best DS configuration for data that falls into a
"critical" category.  IE:  Network Control Traffic, Heartbeats, Error
Messages, or any other kind of data that directly controls the primary
functionality of a far-end, time sensitive device that is connected to the
network.  This kind of traffic, if delayed or dropped, can cause problems or
perceived problems with the affected devices.  

I am looking to find a PHB that focuses on this kind of "critical" traffic.

Thanks
-Greg Wilson
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 11:16:08 -0500

Class Selector 6 or 7 (RFC 2474, section 4.2.2.2)

    Brian

---

From: "Brijesh Kumar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 13:19:34 -0400

In his previous mail, Greg Wilson writes:
> -----Original Message-----
> All-
>

I don't think there is any PHB that exactly captures the requirements for
network Critical category as defined by you. You can use class selector
code points for such a traffic, and schedule this traffic at a priority
above
or below EF. You can define such a behavior, and the only requirement seems
to be that you document the chosen behavior.

Cheers,

--brijesh

Ennovate Networks Inc.

---

From: Scott W Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 13:03:54 -0400

Of course it's not just the DSCPs that matter, it's the end-to-end 
service (here we go again :-)).  The class selectors promise nothing 
about loss or delay, except in relative terms.  If you want to be sure of 
zero delay, zero loss, you need a service which provides that -- which 
you could implement with class selectors 6 and 7, or EF or AF.  You're 
feeding right into the per-domain behavior discussion that's been going 
on (see draft-ietf-diffserv-ba-def-01.txt).