Subject: [Diffserv] RFC 2836, PHB ID Codes

From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 18:15:52 -0400

A couple of comments on the subject RFC, sent out yesterday:

1. I guess the obsoleted term "BA" is still here.

2. It's not clear to me how this PHB ID might be tabulated to a DSCP for a
given domain. My expectation would be something that isn't discussed. That
is, I would have expected a diffserv user to query the ingress of a new
diffserv domain with a PHB ID, and the ingress node to respond with the DSCP
that meets this behavior in this particular domain. This "user" could be,
for instance, the egress node of another diffserv domain.

Is this implicit in what RFC 2836 states? I guess I was expecting to see a
16-bit field defining a PHB ID and then a 16-bit field providing the
recommended DSCP (which might be what's shown as Case 1)?

Bert
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 12:25:27 -0500

I believe it uses BA in its original sense which has not been changed.

How you use PHBIDs was left for those who choose to use them.

  BC