Subject: Re: [Diffserv] question on resource allocation

From: demir <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 02:09:54 -0700 (PDT)

> If you know Internet routing well: use an analogy to routing protocols,
> there is BGP which controls routing across domains, and IGP which is one's
> own choice (one can run RIP, or OSPF, or static routing --- any way one
> chooses for himself)
> 
> BB controls allocation across domains.  What to do for BW allocation within
> a domain is that domain's business, as long as that domain can fulfill its
> service commitment.
> 
> Lixia

Above statement does not clarify if BB is also capable of allocating
domain's internal resources. Referring to routing analogy, I would say
like BGP is not used as an interior routing protocol, BB is not used for
allocating domain's internal resources (?). What do you use in
two-tier architecture to allocate domain's internal resources ?

Alper K. Demir                                              

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/

---

From: Lixia Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 07:03:02 -0700 (PDT)

> two-tier architecture to allocate domain's internal resources ?

Let me answer your questions one by one.

- whether BB is also capable of allocating internal resource: I'd repeat
  again that is the decision by the owner of the domain, not us.

  Use routing as analogy again: I hear hallway conversations about our
  dept's network, over the years I think we have changed from static to
  RIP, and we are in the process moving to a different router vendor, along
  the way the internal routing protocol may change as well.  It's nobody
  else's business.

- "BGP is not used as an interior routing protocol": are you sure?
  My vague memory says that there are indeed places that use BGP 
  internally.  Again it's nobody else's business.

- What do I use: I dont own a net, so I use nothing :-)
  If I had a net?  well, depending how big it is, I might do different
  things, static, use of SNMP to extend my arms, or even a stripped down
  version of RSVP (and I'm sure someone would tell me "MPLS").
  in any case, not your business :-)

Lixia

---

From: demir <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 15:36:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

>   again that is the decision by the owner of the domain, not us.

I agree (and I know). My "ORIGINAL" question was: if BB is capable of
doing this internal resource allocation or not. Of course, the decision is
made by the owner of the domain.

>   internally.  Again it's nobody else's business.

I am not sure. If it is used, my guess would be: between subdomains of a
large domain. I guess this discussion does not belong here.

>   in any case, not your business :-)

I didn't ask what you use. I asked in "Two-tier architecture" what you
use. I know it is not my business. I thought it is a research project,
that's why I asked. 

Alper K. Demir