Subject: [Diffserv] Behavior Aggregates - where next?

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 16:04:24 -0500

Following the diffserv discussion in Adelaide, we would like to
clarify the motivation and direction for the work on BAs.

Firstly, to clear out a terminology issue, the formal definition of 
a BA in RFC 2475 is slightly too restrictive and will require updating.

Secondly, the plan is to continue the bottom-up approach adopted 
from the start of the diffserv work. Having defined a set of PHBs, 
the next step is to identify and quantify the characteristics 
that packets belonging to a behavior aggregate will experience as 
they cross a DS domain. This can result in an edge-to-edge quality 
of service definition. Enterprise network managers, and many ISPs, 
need a range of such definitions with numeric parameters, as an aid 
to deploying diffserv in a useful way. The diffserv WG charter was 
recently updated in response to this need.

Thirdly, the intention now is to clarify 
draft-ietf-diffserv-ba-def-01.txt in view of the discussion.
Also draft-ietf-diffserv-ba-vw-00.txt is a first draft of
a "worked example" of a BA and it will undergo more revision.

Finally, other BA drafts related to the various standard PHBs, 
including the Class Selectors, are solicited. 

   Brian and Kathie
   diffserv co-chairs

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/