Subject: [Diffserv] Fixing up "BA"

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 10:15:58 -0400

Kathie & Brian, I said I thought ba_def.pdf was mixing concepts.  I=20
understand what you're trying to do -- define an edge-to-edge component=20
for building end-to-end services.  I think the problem I perceive with=20
the draft is that while you're redefining BA, you're still keeping a hold=20
on the old definition.

 >The next step for the WG is to lay out how the forwarding path=20
 >components (PHBs, classifiers, and traffic
 >conditioners) can be used within the architectural framework to compose=20
 >specific Behavior Aggregates.

This uses the new definition.

 >Since the per-hop behavior must be the same for every node in the domain=20
 >while the set
 >of packets marked for that PHB may be different at every node, a PHB=20
 >should be defined such that its treat-ment
 >of packets of a behavior aggregate

This feels like it uses the old definition, "a collection of packets" etc..

 >doesn=92t change when other packets join or leave the BA. If the
 >properties of a BA using a particular PHB

Since packets don't "use" a PHB this feels like the new one (as does the=20
rest of the paragraph).

 >hold regardless of how the aggregate mutates as it traverses the
 >domain, then that BA scales. If there are limits to where the properties=20
 >hold, that translates to a limit on the
 >size or topology of a DS domain that can use that BA. Although useful=20
 >single-link BAs might exist, BAs

 >=95 Behavior Aggregate: a collection of packets with the same codepoint=20
 >crossing a link in a particular direction. The
 >terms "aggregate" and "behavior aggregate" are used interchangeably in=20
 >this document.

But then you quote the old definition "for easy reference".

And so on.  I think I can have time to help with the words if you want=20
any more "help" than you've already been offered :-).

...Scott

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!??
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger..
http://im.yahoo.com 

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 09:37:04 -0500

Scott,

Thanks for the comments. We will try to be clearer in the next version.

   Brian

---

From: Dan Grossman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 10:47:46 -0400

Scott,
Brian and I discussed a framework for straightening this out.  I've run some 
words by the chairs/authors at their request, and and have gotten an ack, with 
explict congestion notification :-).  I'll give them another day or two, and 
then send to the list.
Dan