Subject: [DiffServ] Virtual Wire

From: Vicent Plà Boscà <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 17:57:36 +0100

just a single question,

in the draft it's said "As long as this sum is less than (the jitter
window), the destination will see service identical to a dedicated
wire.".
However, as the jitter window only makes up for packets arriving earlier
than expected. Shouldn't some additional condition be imposed to the
total delay seen by the first packet in the flow ?
Otherwise, if the "first packet" sees no queuing delay and second one
sees a queuing equal to t1 (< jitter window),  inter arrival time
between these two packets would be inter departure time increased by t1
.  In this case,  the inter packet time would have been perturbed by the
network, whereas this is supposed not to be done by a wire.

Maybe I've being too meticulous.. If that's the case let me know and
I'll restrain myself from doing this type of comments.

--
Vicent Plà
Universitat Politècnica de València
SPAIN

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/

---

From: Manolo Sola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 19:31:05 +0900

Vicent,

> sees a queuing equal to t1 (< jitter window),  inter arrival time

When interconnecting DS domains through links carring EF marked traffic,
boundary output interfaces must strictly shape the EF traffic on those
links so I guess you won't get that scenario.

-- 
                                                        Manolo Sola
                                                        [email-masked]