Subject: [Diffserv] TCP, Packet Distributions and DiffServ

From: Ajay Uggirala <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 18:32:48 -0600 (CST)

Hi
I am simulating a network which is DiffServ capable and the problem I am
facing is as follows,
All my Schedulers RED queue and other DiffServ components are at IP level.
Now I am confuring my sources at the aplication layer with a particular
distribution for packet interarrival and lengths.

When my sources are TCP these distributions are not preserved at the IP
layer in my router for example the packet sizes seen by the router are TCP
MSS (Maximum Segement Size). So the DiffServ components (RED etc.) are not
seeing the packet distributions as I want them to see. I reduced the MSS
value to preserve the packet length but thats effecting the TCP
performance. 

One more observation is that these components cannot deal in terms of
packets, as the parameters used to configure these components(especially
RED) assuming a certain packet distribution are not optimum anymore.

Is there anyway to get around this problem.

Thanks
Ajay Uggirala

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/