Subject: [Diffserv] Question on Diff Serv Future

From: "Smith JR, Harry E" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:51:20 -0800

I am working on a project where we are planning to use the DS field to map
to an ATM Class of Service.

I know that there are recommendation on how to map the DS values to ATM CoS.
However, this is not sufficient to allow determination off the ATM traffic
descriptors. Are any plans for the DS field to contain the additional
information needed to allow an ATM traffic descriptors to be determined?

Harry Smith
Lockheed Martin

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 00:17:04 -0600

> information needed to allow an ATM traffic descriptors to be determined?

In a word, no. Diffserv is neutral about the underlying link layer, so
ATM has to solve its own problems. That is being worked on by the ATM Forum,
not the IETF.

  Brian Carpenter
  diffserv co-chair