Subject: [Diffserv] SNA over DiffServ

From: Faycal Bennani <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 00:24:31 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

Any work / recommendation on which DiffServ PHB / CoS should be used for
legacy non native IP traffic, such as SNA and X25 ?

Faycal Bennani

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/

---

From: Ping Pan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 14:19:34 -0500

Don't think there was any proposal on SNA over DiffServ. But native SNA
traffic is very sensitive to loss and delay. Normally SNA packets are
encapsulated in TCP (or IBM RTP format) before sending to the network. I
think long delay could be bad for SNA traffic.

--
Ping Pan         http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~pingpan

---

From: "Adam Dunstan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 22:10:37 -0500

If my memory serves me correctly, DLSw puts SNA into TCP sessions, I think
that DLSw v2 allowed difference COS into difference TCP sessions but I am
probably wrong, the DLSw WG (if it still exists) is probably a good place
for this question.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf
Of Ping Pan
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2000 2:20 PM
To: Faycal Bennani
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Diffserv] SNA over DiffServ

---

From: Ping Pan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 00:20:29 -0500

Adam,

You're right. I recall that IBM had defined a special TOS precedence bit
combination to carry "important" SNA packets, and zero precedence value
to carry regular SNA data. It's mapped into the old TOS byte format,
where the precedence filed has a mask of 0xE0. It had all sort of fancy
precedence levels. ;-) But it won't work with the new DS byte mapping
anymore.

- Ping

---

From: "Scott W Brim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 10:29:00 -0500

When we were first getting started, Ed Ellesson came in with SNA 
requirements.  I believe he needed 5 classes but just WFQ.  Last I heard 
he was [email-masked] and he was working on policy.

Ed, you there?