Subject: [Diffserv] TSWTCM - Action from Washington IETF

From: "Nabil Seddigh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 17:31:19 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

At the Washington IETF, the authors of the TSWTCM 
draft were actioned as described below (thanks to David
Black for the minutes):

> -- Time Sliding Window Three Color Marker
> (draft-fang-diffserv-tc-tswtcm-00.txt)
> [.....]
>There are experimental results that will be reported 
> in Broadcom '99 (December).
> The experimental results should be made available to 
> the WG, and then it would be reasonable to have this 
> draft progress to become an experimental RFC. 
> The authors will post a message to the list containing 
> URLs for all of their results.

There have been a number of Diffserv studies with variants of the
TSWTCM. Those that we are aware of include:

1. Clark & Fang TON '98 paper
2. Ibanez & Nichols Internet Draft - August 1998
3. Yeom & Reddy paper - iwqos 99
4. Seddigh, Nandy & Pieda paper - Globecom 99
5. Seddigh, Nandy & Pieda IETF draft - TCP/UDP in AF (1999)

Detailed paper titles and URLs are at the end of this message.

The first study is simulation-based and focuses on using the 
TSWTCM for single-TCP flows. The second study is  
a preliminary simulation-based study of the TSW. The 
third study is also simulation-based and uses a 
TSWTCM-variant with aggregate TCP flows. The fourth study
also uses the TSWTCM for aggregate flows but is based on 
a VxWorks-based implementation. The final study is 
implementation-based and shows that aggregates with UDP 
traffic can also use the TSWTCM.

As a side note, by the end of this month,  the TSWTCM will be available
in BSD's ALTQ  (thanks to Kenjiro Cho) and in Linux Diffserv  
(thanks to Jamal Hadi Salim).

Regards
Nabil Seddigh
[email-masked]

--------------------
Fang W, Seddigh N and Nandy B, "A Time Sliding Window Three 
Colour Marker (TSWTCM)", Internet Draft, 
draft-fang-diffserv-tc-tswtcm-00.txt, October 1999
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fang-diffserv-tc-tswtcm-00.txt

Clark D. and Fang W., Explicit Allocation of Best Effort Packet Delivery
Service, ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol. 6, No 4, August 1998
, pp 362-373 http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~wfang/papers.html

Ibanez J and Nichols K, "Preliminary Simulation Evaluation of 
an Assured Service", Internet Draft, 
<draft-ibanez-diffserv-assured-eval-00.txt>, August 1998

Yeom I and Reddy N, "Impact of Marking Strategy on Aggregated Flows 
in a Differentiated Services Network", Proceedings of IwQoS, May 1999
http://dropzone.tamu.edu/~ikjun/papers.html

Seddigh N, Nandy B and Pieda P, "Bandwidth Assurance Issues for TCP
Flows in a Differentiated Services Network", Proceedings of Global 
Internet Symposium, Globecom 99, Rio de Janeiro, December 1999
http://www7.nortel.com:8080/CTL/globe9806.pdf

Seddigh N, Nandy B, and Pieda P, "Study of TCP and UDP 
Interaction for the AF PHB", Internet Draft, 
<draft-nsbnpp-diffserv-tcpudpaf-01.pdf>, August, 1999
http://www7.nortel.com:8080/CTL/draft-nsbnpp-diffserv-tcpudpaf-01.pdf

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/

---

From: Juan-Antonio Ibanez <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 16:35:04 +0100

Hi,

Before I get an avalanche of emails asking for the URL, here it is :-)

Ibanez J and Nichols K, "Preliminary Simulation Evaluation of
an Assured Service", Internet Draft,
<draft-ibanez-diffserv-assured-eval-00.txt>, August 1998
http://ec.eurecom.fr/~ibanez/internet_draft.html

Regards,
Juan