Subject: RE: [Diffserv] Minutes from DC

From: Andrew Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 10:32:49 -0800

This is effectively the approach taken by IEEE 802.1D-1998 MAC Bridging (the
standard formerly known as 802.1p): they have 8 traffic classes which, by
default, on an 8-queue switch, are strict-priority-queued in the descending
order 7,6,5,4,3,0,2,1. Traffic class 0 is ranked above traffic classes 1 and
2 in this ordering to accomodate the vast majority of current traffic which
is marked for traffic class 0. 

The ISSLL work on RSVP-over-IEEE802-lower-layers takes advantage of this in
its merging rules. A similar approach has been recommended in discussions of
RSVP-over-Diffserv in ISSLL WG although I'm not sure it has found its way
into print yet.

Andrew

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Kathleen Nichols [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 4:40 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Diffserv] Minutes from DC
> -- draft-bless-diffserv-lbe-phb-00.txt
> 
> Less than Best Effort PHB. 
...
> One proposal was to remap DSCP 0 to be the same as Class Selector 2,
> thus turning Class Selector 1 into LBE.

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 17:12:43 -0600

The advantage that diffserv has in this game is that we explicitly mandate
domain-specific mappings from code points to behaviors, so that only people
who want this kind of setup have to deal with it.

   Brian