Subject: RE: [Diffserv] Model - queues

From: "Weiss, Walter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 12:37:25 -0500

> A queuing element is composed of one or more FIFO element, 
> one or more 
> scheduling element, and possibly one or more discarding 
> element. [I was 
> thinking about making the buffer data structure more general 
> than 'FIFO' but 
> decided not to for lack of a reason why one would need 
> another data structure 
> -- can anybody think of one?]

Dan,

Overall, I like the model (particularly since it looks very much like the
one John, Dave and I are working on). I am left wondering whether you are
using Buffer Management to describe the manipulation of buffers within a
queue (the ordering of the buffers) or the memory management for packet
memory. If it is the former, I would suggest the model includes the latter
as well. If it was the latter, I would suggest that the reason for making
buffer management independent of FIFO is because implementations frequently
share buffer pools among a set of FIFOs. While it is possible (and often
important) to bind a fixed number of buffers to a FIFO to maintain a fixed
maximum queue depth, it is also possible (and often frugal) to allow a set
of buffers to be shared among FIFOs.

regards,

-Walter

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/

---

From: Andrew Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 05:36:52 -0800

Walter,

Can you share any information about the model that "John, Dave and I" are
working on? How does it differ from this one? Might make sense to try to
align the thinking here ...

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: Weiss, Walter
To: [email-masked]
Sent: 12/8/99 9:37 AM
Subject: RE: [Diffserv] Model - queues

Dan,

Overall, I like the model (particularly since it looks very much like
the
one John, Dave and I are working on).