Subject: [Diffserv] Reference/Example implementation for DiffServ.

From: Prakash R <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 14:03:58 +0000

I've recently joined the group. So please do bear with me if the
questions are repeated.

General aspects:
----------------
1) Is there a FAQ for this mailing list?

DiffServ Deployment:
--------------------

2) Is DiffServ already being used anywhere?

3) Is there a reference/example implementation of DiffServ which one can 
   use as a model? Specifically with respect to the
provisioning/charging
   aspects.

DiffServ/QoS basics:
--------------------

4) List of papers that one must've read to understand the QoS issues
   involved in DiffServ?

5) What sort of Mathematics will I need to learn to understand the
   theoretical issues behind the various decisions taken in DiffServ WG?

I would appreciate information regarding the above.

- Thanks in advance,
-- 
Prakash R	
Co-ordinating Engineer, Internet Telephony Group
===========================================================================
C-DOT (Centre for Development of Telematics)	
71/1, Sneha Complex, Miller Road, Bangalore - 560052, India
Email:[email-masked], Phone:+91-80-2263399, Fax:+91-80-2263256 
===========================================================================

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/

---

From: Ran Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 11:38:18 -0500

% 2) Is DiffServ already being used anywhere?

The "Classic DiffServ" defined in the original RFC definition
of the IP Precedence bits was first deployed operationally in
the 80s and continues to be used in several all-continents
private internetworks.  Proteon routers had a particularly elegant
implementation of OSPF that supported the IP Precedence bits,
for example.  Classic DiffServ has not been widely deployed 
in full form in any commercial networks as far as I know.

The "Network Control" and "Internet Control" precedence settings
in "Classic DiffServ" ARE widely deployed in most networks,
private and commercial -- most IP routers implement this by default 
to ensure that routing protocol traffic is given preference 
over non-network-control traffic.  New "DiffServ" has been designed
to protect this important widespread use.

Ran
[email-masked]

---

From: Arni Raghu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 11:57:41 -0500

> I've recently joined the group. So please do bear with me if the

Nope...

> DiffServ Deployment:

Not that I know of..used in many test networks..but not on any revenue
based networks..pls correct me here..

>    use as a model? Specifically with respect to the

There have been many implementations on Linux/freeBSD etc..on the
Diffserv PHBs and various components..

You might want to look at::

http://www.INDEX.Berkeley.EDU/public/index.phtml

> DiffServ/QoS basics:

REad the papers that talk about the evaluation of teh Diffserv
PHBs..there are so many of them now..

>    theoretical issues behind the various decisions taken in DiffServ WG?

Just read the drafts/RFCs..u do not need to be a math expert to
understand that.

The one paper is::

ftp://gaia.cs.umass.edu/pub/Sahu99_Diffserv-TR-99-09.ps.gz

hth,
Arni