Subject: [Diffserv] Service class of ACK packets

From: Bahri Okuroglu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 09:02:47 +0200

Hi diffservers,

Are the ACK packets of any flow (AF, EF or BE) always served as BE? Is
there any work on making the ACK of EF flow served as EF also?

regards,

--

__________________________________________________________
Bahri OKUROGLU

Software Design Engineer                     Netas R&D RT6
mailto:[email-masked]     http://www.netas.com.tr
mailto:[email-masked]   mailto:[email-masked]
Netas   Alemdag Cad.   Umraniye 81244      ISTANBUL TURKEY
__________________________________________________________

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 08:58:39 -0600

Diffserv really doesn't define this, since diffserv is a one-way
mechanism. However there is an issue in TCP
(see draft-xiao-tcp-prec-00.txt ) and in general with a windowing
protocol it would make sense to use the same class of service for
the acks. 

In practice that means that with symmetric diffserv policies, things
will work better than with assymmetric policies.

  Brian

> there any work on making the ACK of EF flow served as EF also?

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/

---

From: Carlos Alberto Kamienski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 09:16:24 -0200 (EDT)

Hi Bahri

Actually there is a paper about this subject, written by Stefan Köhler and
Uwe Schäfer, named:
"Performance Comparison of different Class-and-Drop treatment of Data and
Acknowledgements in DiffServ IP Networks."

You can download it from:
http://www.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/reports/tr.html#TR237

Carlos

---------------------------------------------
Carlos Alberto Kamienski       [email-masked]

Doutorando em Ciencia da Computacao
Ph.D. Student
Departamento de Informatica - UFPE
---------------------------------------------