Subject: Re: [Diffserv] RE: Two new Internet-Drafts submitted

From: "Jamel H. Sadok" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 09:26:33 -0200 (EDT)

> 
> LBE can certainly be implemented as an AF class. However, I have seen a
> number of different service proposals for Diffserv. In many of these,
> the AF classes are already spoken for by services that require better
> than LBE. So, while in principle, AF can be used, if there are  enough
> people who want to use all the AF classes for other services, we may
> want to consider a different solution.

I think it is important to get to know *actual* examples of proposals
for DiffServ (and compile a list of these if possible). Knowing for a fact
which of the AF classes are spoken for could help getting closer to a
consensus on whether to create a new PHBs.

Jamel

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/

---

From: Grenville Armitage <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 07:37:15 -0800

AF classes are not being exhausted in the manner you both imply.
Depending on how you arrange your network, you could
be using AF1y for one service in one DS domain, and AF1y for an
entirely different service in another DS domain. And there's
nothing stopping you from assigning more DSCPs for additional
AF classes.

NB. Assigning new DSCPs to create additional instances of an
existing PHB is not the same as creating a new PHB.

cheers,
gja

-- 
________________________________________________________________________
Grenville Armitage                            http://mh005.infi.net/~gja
Bell Labs Research, Lucent Technologies

---

From: Kathleen Nichols <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 09:50:50 -0800

"Jamel H. Sadok" wrote:
...
> > than LBE. 
...
> consensus on whether to create a new PHBs.

Yes, I like this idea of avoiding "diffserv folklore". But what's
a good test for something to be more "known"? And when do we
think something has "global" significance rather than significance
within a single domain?

	Kathie

---

From: Grenville Armitage <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 07:37:15 -0800

cheers,
gja

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 12:47:59 +0200 (EET)

it might be a good idea to start publishing service specifications as
informational rfcs in order to avoid having a new phb for each service.
should that happen inside or outside the diffserv working group?

-- juha

---

From: Kathleen Nichols <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 20:46:39 -0800

> should that happen inside or outside the diffserv working group?

At present, there is nothing about services in our charter. We are
working on a new charter and will be working to make it clear and
narrow for a fairly short time horizon. So, if you plan to specify a
service now, that would have to be outside the diffserv WG.

	Kathie

---

From: "Haci A. Mantar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 23:56:42 -0500 (EST)

Hi

Are MPLS and Diff-Serv totally independent technologies? I mean does MPLS
uses Diff-Serv for some requirment, or Diff-Serv uses MPLS for anything.
For example: MPLS uses extended RSVP for reservation, Is there any this
kind of related or depended functions between Diff-Serv and MPLS.

Thanks

HACI ALI MANTAR

---

From: Grenville Armitage <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 10:56:56 -0800

> kind of related or depended functions between Diff-Serv and MPLS.

Think of diff-serv as providing more temporal control over
packet forwarding than 'best effort', and MPLS as providing
more topological control over packet forwarding than 'shortest
path forwarding'. You gain benefits from them independently or
together.

cheers,
gja

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 14:47:48 -0600

The MPLS working group is looking at a mapping from diffserv classes
to MPLS; it's best to think of them as two separate layers.

  Brian

---

From: Jeremy Lawrence <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 10:56:56 +1100

Haci,

>kind of related or depended functions between Diff-Serv and MPLS.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-diff-ext-02.txt
will probably answer your questions.

Jeremy Lawrence