Subject: Re: [Diffserv] RE: Two new Internet-Drafts submitted

From: "Nabil Seddigh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 12:45:27 -0500 (EST)

Juha Heinanen writes:

>i don't see any mythical in definition of background SERVICE.  it is a
>service to which no promises nor even expectations are made.  it can be
>IMPLEMENTED as an af class that has been allocated some buffering
>resources, but no scheduling resources,

LBE can certainly be implemented as an AF class. However, I have seen a
number of different service proposals for Diffserv. In many of these,
the AF classes are already spoken for by services that require better
than LBE. So, while in principle, AF can be used, if there are  enough
people who want to use all the AF classes for other services, we may
want to consider a different solution.

-
Regards,
Nabil Seddigh
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 12:57:28 -0600

Nabil,

You can create as many AF classes as you want, subject to the size
of the 6 bit DSCP field. 21 AF classes would use up 63 code points,
leaving one free for default. Obviously this is arguing from the
absurd, but a given deployment is not limited to 4 AF classes.

  Brian

-- 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian E Carpenter (IAB Chair)
Program Director, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM 
On assignment for IBM at http://www.iCAIR.org 
Attend INET 2000: http://www.isoc.org/inet2000
Non-IBM email: [email-masked]
Ethernet address: 00-00-AC-CF-5B-82

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 02:15:58 +0200 (EET)

> want to consider a different solution.

i would suggest that we wait until there is a real diffserv deployment
by some isps that are actually simultaneously offering four af based
services and want to do more.  then we can go ahead and ask new
codepoints for the fifth or sixth af class.  we could possibly be able
to save some code points by defining some af classes to have only two dp
levels.

-- juha