Subject: [Diffserv] Changes to model-01

From: Steve Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 11:01:28 -0500

Summary of changes between model-00 and -01:

Sec. 2 

  - added glossary of new or expanded terms

Sec. 3

  - clarified that classification, traffic conditioning, and queueing are
    funtions possibly (logically) associated with both ingress and
    egress i/fs

  - clarified function of routing core

Sec. 4

  - text shuffling

  - added section on fitting MPLS LSRs into the model

Sec. 5.

  - reorganized meter text into a separate section

  - added separate sub-sections on two-parameter (simple) token buckets and
    multi-parameter token buckets (network of two-parameter TBs)

Sec. 6

  - reorganized action elements into a separate section

  - defined new action elements: multiplexor, mirror, enqueueing element,
    null action

    - mux is self-explanatory

    - mirror splits the datapath into N streams

    - enqueueing element is a mux which sits in front of a queue and executes
      a buffer management algorithm

    - null action is defined if needed by the config/management interface

    - point out that a shaper action element is realized using a queue,
      move bulk of text to Sec. 7

Sec. 7

  - define queue parameters (priority, minimum guaranteed rate, maximum
    rate profile (non-work-conserving)

  - define queue sets (set of queues served by a single scheduler)

  - define queue superset (set of queue sets)

  - define shaping queue and max rate profile

Sec. 8 (was Sec. 6 in model-00)

  - clarify the flexibility available in configuring elements into TCB
    (e.g., no mandatory elements or order)

  - clarify that TCBs are 1:1 black-box elements

  - minor changes to TCB examples

Sec. 9

  - added open issues section

Sec. 10

  - added security boilerplate

Appendix A

  - added algorithmic description of a two-parameter token bucket meter/
    shaping profile consistent with [TRTCM]

Regards,

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Steven L. Blake                  <[email-masked]>
Ericsson IP Infrastructure             (919)468-8466 x232

_______________________________________________
diffserv mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/