Subject: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-black-diffserv-tunnels-00.txt

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 19:17:29 -0400

Ok, here's a (belated) forwarding of the formal announcement,
minus the MIME magic incantations that I can't cut and paste from
the web archive of the IETF-Announce mailing list.  --David

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

        Title           : Differentiated Services and Tunnels
        Author(s)       : D. Black
        Filename        : draft-black-diffserv-tunnels-00.txt
        Pages           : 11
        Date            : 22-Oct-99
        
This draft discusses the interaction of Differentiated Services
(diffserv) [RFC-2474, RFC-2475] with IP tunnels of various forms.
The discussion of tunnels in the diffserv architecture [RFC-2475]
has been found to provide insufficient guidance to tunnel designers
and implementers.  With the aim of providing such guidance, this
document describes two conceptual models for the interaction of
diffserv with IP tunnels and employs them to explore the resulting
configurations and combinations of functionality.  An important
consideration is how and where diffserv traffic conditioning should
be performed in the presence of tunnel encapsulation/decapsulation.
A few simple mechanisms are also proposed that limit the complexity
that tunnels would otherwise add to the diffserv traffic
conditioning model; these mechanisms are also generally useful in
situations where more general traffic conditioning is inappropriate
or unavailable.  Security considerations for IPsec tunnels place
some limits on possible functionality in some circumstances.
WARNING: The current status of this draft is highly preliminary; its
major purpose is to foster discussion within the working group.
Above and beyond the usual cautionary notice about not relying on
Internet-Drafts, implementers are specifically warned that
significant changes are expected to the contents of this draft.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-black-diffserv-tunnels-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-black-diffserv-tunnels-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-black-diffserv-tunnels-00.txt".
        
NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

---------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 435-1000 x75140, FAX: +1 (508) 497-6909
[email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------