Subject: announcement of TSVWG

From: Vern Paxson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 21:53:41 PDT

The IESG has chartered a working group, TSVWG, which serves as a way to
develop bite-sized transport issues that don't have a natural home in
another existing working group, and aren't large enough to merit their
own working group.  The charter is appended, including mailing list info.

There are currently three work items in the charter:

	- Updates to RFC 793 to resolve conflict between diffserv
	  and TCP interpretation of IP Precedence
	  (draft-xiao-tcp-prec-00.txt)

	- Additions to RFC 2018 to use TCP SACK for detecting unnecessary
	  retransmissions
	  (draft-floyd-sack-00.txt)

	- Alternative TCP fast recovery behavior based on rate-halving
	  (draft-mathis-tcp-ratehalving-00.txt)

We would like to begin discussion of these I-Ds on the TSVWG mailing list
(**not** any of the mailing lists to which we are sending this note!)
and will have a meeting in DC to develop them further.

- Scott Bradner & Vern Paxson

Transport Area Working Group (tsvwg)
-------------------------------------

 Current Status: Proposed Working Group

 Chair(s):
     Scott Bradner  <[email-masked]>
     Vern Paxson  <[email-masked]>

 Transport Area Director(s):
     Scott Bradner  <[email-masked]>
     Vern Paxson  <[email-masked]>

 Transport Area Advisors:
     Scott Bradner  <[email-masked]>
     Vern Paxson  <[email-masked]>

 Mailing Lists:
     General Discussion: [email-masked]
     To Subscribe: [email-masked], subject or body "subscribe"
	or via http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg
     Archive: see http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

Description of Working Group: 

The Transport area receives occasional proposals for the development and
publication of RFCs dealing with Transport topics, but for which the required
work does not rise to the level where a new working group is justified, yet
the topic does not fit with an existing working group, and a single BOF would
not provide the time to ensure a mature proposal.  The tsvwg will serve as
the forum for developing these types of proposals.

The tsvwg mailing list will be used to discuss the proposals as they arise.
The working group will meet if there are one or more active proposals that
require discussion.

The working group milestones will be updated as needed to reflect the
proposals currently being worked on and the target dates for their
completion.  New milestones will be first reviewed by the IESG.  The
working group will be on-going as long as the ADs believe it serves a
useful purpose.

Initial goals and Milestones: 

	Jan 2000: Updates to RFC 793 to resolve conflict between diffserv
		  and TCP interpretation of IP Precedence submitted for
		  publication as Proposed Standard

	Jan 2000: Addition to RFC 2018 to use TCP SACK for detecting
		  unnecessary retransmissions submitted for publication as
		  Proposed Standard

	Jan 2000: Alternative TCP fast recovery behavior based on
		  rate-halving ID submitted for publication as Experimental