Subject: New Marker Draft released

From: Octavio Medina <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 18:55:33 +0200

Hi,

I just submitted a personal Internet Draft called:
"A Multimedia Color Marker".

Abstract:

   This document defines a mark and drop mechanism called Multimedia
   Color Marker or mmCM. This mechanism, based on the Three Color
Marker
   [trTCM], can be used as a component of a Diffserv traffic
conditioner
   for CBR Audio/Video flows. In addition to the functions performed
by
   a color aware trTCM, the mmCM performs rate control and reactive
   discard. Rate control protects TCP flows from unresponsive UDP
   streams. Rate control is performed by introducing a third Token
   Bucket to the trTCM model with a small bucket size. Reactive
discard
   is used to increase the probability of delivery for low precedence
   packets. Reactive discard is performed by demoting or dropping
yellow
   and red packets in reaction to a green packet demotion at the
marker.
   Hierarchically coded Audio/Video flows can benefit of this
   functionality if the coder pre-marks the stream to reflect the
   relative value of the information transported in each IP packet. It
   is assumed that the mmCM is used in conjunction with AF-based
   services.

You can retreive the draft from:

http://www.rennes.enst-bretagne.fr/~medina/docs/draft-medina-mcmm-00.txt

Please let me know your comments on this draft.

-Octavio Medina
 ENST Bretagne, Rennes
 France