Subject: Re: [Diffserv] EF RFC and loss

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 22:26:13 +0200

Hi there Scott,

>At 16:45 10/28/1999 +0200, [email-masked] wrote:
>>Your reply indicates to me that, even under proper operating conditions, it
>>should not but it may and can genuinely happen that a packet is lost.
>>So why should this rare event trigger the "notion of attack or serious
>>misconfiguration" as stated in the RFC.

>EF will drop packets if it has to in order to maintain the delay budget
>for the packets that get forwarded.  In a properly managed network very
>little excess EF traffic will be admitted.  So if you're seeing a lot of
>excess traffic, either your hardware is broken, your capacity management
>is broken, or someone is sneaking packets in.

My only comprehension is: what do I have precisely to understand (as you state it) by:
"a lot of excess traffic"?

manu

---

From: "Scott W Brim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 21:10:53 -0400

>"a lot of excess traffic"?

I guess whatever network operator decides.  This is an operations issue.