Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-diffserv-model-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 07:54:17 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Differentiated Services Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: A Conceptual Model for Diffserv Routers
	Author(s)	: Y. Bernet,  A. Smith, S. Blake
	Filename	: draft-ietf-diffserv-model-01.txt
	Pages		: 34
	Date		: 28-Oct-99
	
This draft proposes a conceptual model of Differentiated Services
(Diffserv) routers for use in their management and configuration. 
This model defines the general functional datapath elements
(classifiers, meters, markers, droppers, monitors, mirrors, muxes,
queues), their possible configuration parameters, and how they might
be interconnected to realize the range of classification, traffic
conditioning, and per-hop behavior (PHB) functionalities described in
[DSARCH].  The model is intended to be abstract and capable of
representing the configuration parameters important to Diffserv
functionality for a variety of specific router implementations.  It
is not intended as a guide to hardware implementation.
This model should serve as a rationale for the design of a Diffserv
MIB [DSMIB], as well for various configuration interfaces (such as
[PIB]).  Since these documents are all evolving simultaneously there
are discrepancies between their current revisions; this should be
resolved in a future revision of this draft.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-diffserv-model-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-diffserv-model-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-diffserv-model-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Scott W Brim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:53:41 -0400

How about a diff, or a rundown of what's new?

Thanks ... Scott

---

From: Steve Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 14:06:17 -0400

> How about a diff, or a rundown of what's new?

I tried to maintain a change list, but it was almost as long as the draft.
I'll see if I can document the things that didn't change significantly.

Regards,

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Steven L. Blake                  <[email-masked]>
Ericsson IP Infrastructure             (919)468-8466 x232

---

From: Kathleen Nichols <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:27:09 -0700

Steve,
Summarizing is probably fine, too. Think of it as writing on
of those reviews that has to fit into 100 words...

	Kathie

Steve Blake wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> diffserv mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv
> Archive: http://www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/diff-serv-arch/