Subject: [Diffserv-interest] dumbell topology

From: Elahe Alipour <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 11:30:44 -0700 (PDT)

hello everyone,
   
  i am using NS-2 for simulating admission control in diffserv. i want to use dumbbell topology and two kinds of traffic (one for EF traffic and other for BE traffic). now i need a script for it. can anybody help me?
   
  please kindly answer to me.
  looking forward to hearing from you.
   
  regards
  Elahe ([email-masked])

---------------------------------
Ready for the edge of your seat? Check out tonight's top picks on Yahoo! TV. 

_______________________________________________
Diffserv-interest mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv-interest

---

From: Kathleen Nichols <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:31:11 -0700

I can't help asking: Why would you *want* to use a dumbbell?

Elahe Alipour wrote:
> hello everyone,
>  
> i am using NS-2 for simulating admission control in diffserv. i want to
> use dumbbell topology and two kinds of traffic (one for EF traffic and
> other for BE traffic). now i need a script for it. can anybody help me?
>  
> Elahe ([email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>)
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Ready for the edge of your seat? Check out tonight's top picks
> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48220/*http://tv.yahoo.com/> on Yahoo! TV.
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 13:28:46 -0700

> I can't help asking: Why would you *want* to use a dumbbell?

in deployed networks, who *doesn't* use a dumbbell?

Generally speaking, folks use LANs in their local infrastructures.  
These are frequently 10/100 Ethernet, either because the switch  
doesn't support gigabit or the host doesn't, but there is use of  
gigabit and and ten gig as well. Within commercial ISPs, optical  
technology is similarly usually in the gigabit range. But the access  
paths are a *lot* slower - residential  and smaller-company access is  
on the order of a megabit or less, and larger businesses use tens to  
hundreds of megabits.

the access makes it a dumbbell.