Subject: [Diffserv-interest] Fw: RFC 3662 on A Lower Effort Per-Domain Behavior (PDB) for Differentiated Services

From: Roland Bless <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 02:30:07 +0100

Hi,

FYI: this is a first draft in the PDB series.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:35:53 -0800
From: [email-masked]
To: IETF-Announce: ;
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RFC 3662 on A Lower Effort Per-Domain Behavior (PDB) for Differentiated Services

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3662

        Title:      A Lower Effort Per-Domain Behavior (PDB) for
                    Differentiated Services
        Author(s):  R. Bless, K. Nichols, K. Wehrle
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       December 2003
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      17
        Characters: 39029
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-bless-diffserv-pdb-le-01.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3662.txt

This document proposes a differentiated services per-domain behavior
(PDB) whose traffic may be "starved" (although starvation is not
strictly required) in a properly functioning network.  This is in
contrast to the Internet's "best-effort" or "normal Internet traffic"
model, where prolonged starvation indicates network problems.  In this
sense, the proposed PDB's traffic is forwarded with a "lower" priority
than the normal "best-effort" Internet traffic, thus the PDB is
called "Lower Effort" (LE).  Use of this PDB permits a network
operator to strictly limit the effect of its traffic on
"best-effort"/"normal" or all other Internet traffic.  This document
gives some example uses, but does not propose constraining the PDB's
use to any particular type of traffic.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.

Q29udGVudC1UeXBlOiB0ZXh0L3BsYWluCkNvbnRlbnQtSUQ6IDwwMzEyMTgxNjM1MDEuUkZDQFJG
Qy1FRElUT1IuT1JHPgoKUkVUUklFVkU6IHJmYwpET0MtSUQ6IHJmYzM2NjIKCg==
Q29udGVudC1UeXBlOiB0ZXh0L3BsYWluCkNvbnRlbnQtSUQ6IDwwMzEyMTgxNjM1MDEuUkZDQFJG
Qy1FRElUT1IuT1JHPgoK