Subject: [Diffserv-interest] CFP: Revisiting IP QOS (RIPQOS), Karlsruhe Germany, Aug. 2003

From: Tristan Henderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 19:58:40 +0000

WORKSHOP ON REVISITING IP QOS:
WHY DO WE CARE, WHAT HAVE WE LEARNED (RIPQOS)
http://www.acm.org/sigcomm/sigcomm2003/workshop/ripqos

In Conjunction with SIGCOMM 2003
Karlsruhe, Germany
27 August 2003

ANNOUNCEMENT and CALL FOR PAPERS

For over a decade the Internet engineering and research community has
debated, designed, and ignored IP Quality of Service (QoS) tools and
techniques. There's a sense that something might be needed, but little
agreement on why and who will pay.  At times the very notion of QoS
has seemed to be a pointless waste of time, almost a solution waiting
for a problem.

This workshop is an opportunity for researchers and practitioners to
discuss the history of IP QoS research and development, review what
could have been done better (or totally differently), and challenge
the industry to think out of the box going forward.

Papers are invited that provide well-argued opinion, speculation, or
contrary positions.  For example:

  - IP QoS schemes never quite seem complete. Is this just a great
    research game for academics?
  - Where's the money? How do we make IP QoS pay when typical Internet
    applications don't care, and the user's don't know any better?
  - Will online, multi-player games be the market segment that justifies
    end-user/access ISP investment in IP QoS tools and solutions?
  - Isn't more bandwidth the answer?

Of particular interest are papers that critique the evolution of IP
QoS solutions to date and/or explain what sort of applications and
user mindset will need to emerge before IP QoS solutions become
cost-effective for ISPs to deploy.

A workshop report will be published in a special edition of SIGCOMM
Computer Communication Review. Presented papers will be archived in
workshop proceedings, and also placed in the ACM Digital Library.

WHAT AND HOW TO SUBMIT

Papers should be no longer than 10 pages; submissions SHOULD be
anonymized as much as practical, but this is not a requirement.  If a
paper's core message has been published (or accepted for publication)
elsewhere the authors must provide new and additional argument and
content in order to be considered for RIPQOS.  See
http://www.acm.org/sigcomm/sigcomm2003/workshop/ripqos/ripqos.html
for full submission requirements in the near future.

DEADLINES (Tentative; please check the Web page for updates)

Submission deadline         March  31, 2003
Notification of acceptance  May    26, 2003
Camera ready papers due     June   30, 2003
Workshop date               August 27, 2003

ORGANIZERS

Workshop Chair:
Grenville Armitage, Swinburne University of Technology <[email-masked]>

Workshop Program Committee:
     Mark Allman, NASA/BBN <[email-masked]>
     kc claffy, CAIDA <[email-masked]>
     Tristan Henderson, University College London <[email-masked]>
     Geoff Huston, Telstra <[email-masked]>
     Derek ("Mac") Mcauley, Intel Research Labs <[email-masked]>
     Kathie Nichols, {unaffiliated} <[email-masked]>
     John Wroclawski, MIT <[email-masked]>
     Sebastian Zander, Fraunhofer Institute FOKUS <[email-masked]>
_______________________________________________
Diffserv-interest mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv-interest