Subject: Re: [Diffserv-interest] Admission Control In DiffServ

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:40:16 +0200

"Ashkenazi, Liat (Liat)" wrote:
> 
> Thank you for Your Answer:
> 
> If we don't deal with "calls" and we deal with flow aggregate.
> I still don't understand how we can know if it can enter the network (or domain)?
> The policy unit rely just on the class of the flow and then decide whether to drop the packets or not but Is it consider the network condition (is it available or not)?

That's an implementation and deployment choice. For example you might allocate
some Mbit/s to EF traffic, and admit up to N VoIP calls where N is calculated
to almost fill those Mbit/s. (Real life is more complicated since you have to
allow for link failures etc.) But the rest of the capacity could be split
between an AF class (for important business traffic) and a best effort class
(for everything else). As you will gather I belive in extremely simple
diffserv scenarios - complex is bad.

> 
> If there is no admission control is like best-effort thing.

Similar, but the model is that traffic will be sent in the class of service
that is most appropriate for the application. Diffserv is not a revolution,
it's fine-tuning the Internet's existing service model.

   Brian

_______________________________________________
Diffserv-interest mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv-interest