Subject: [Diffserv-interest] User defined DSCP Mappings

From: "Balasankar R - CTD, Chennai." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 17:39:01 +0530

Hi,

It is possible to have a custom mapping between DSCP values and 
classes of service.  Under which circumstances, one would need
to use such custom mappings? Is it not enough to have the same
DSCP-to-service mappings as suggested in the AF and EF RFCs?

Thanks,
BalaSankar.R

_______________________________________________
Diffserv-interest mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv-interest

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 14:54:37 +0200

Some ISPs stated a very strong requirement to have the flexibility
to create local mappings, since they did not want their service
offerings to be limited by the standard. This was the rough consensus
established in the diffserv WG interim meeting in June 1998.
(Not everyone agreed, but that's the nature of IETF consensus.)

I've answered this question on the WG mailing list since it is a piece
of very basic diffserv history that everyone needs to know, but please 
follow up on the diffserv-interest list only.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter
   diffserv co-chair
   INET 2002, Washington, DC, 18-21 June http://www.inet2002.org