Subject: [Diffserv-interest] absolute and relative diffserv

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 10:55:10 -0400 (EDT)

Hello, 

Maybe my question is naive, but I really want to know the answer:

Is it meaningful to provide absolute Diffserv(such as EF and AF) and
proportional Diffserv (proposed by Dovrolis...) in the same network at 
the same time?

Thanks,

Li

_______________________________________________
Diffserv-interest mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv-interest

---

From: Aaron D Striegel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 13:25:17 -0500

Li,

I would think that you could still offer EF via priority scheduling with 
appropriate rate-limiting and AF traffic using the proportional 
DiffServ.  For example, you could simply set AF1x to be the best class 
followed by AF2x, etc.  One could also do the same for differentiating the 
different AF loss priorities as outlined by Dovrolis/Ramanathan in a 
different paper in IEEE Network.

However, I am not sure that the effects of such proportional loss 
mechanisms has been thoroughly studied from edge-to-edge which might be an 
interesting area of research.  Unless there has been some recent work, 
their research primarily focused on per-hop differentiation rather than the 
edge-to-edge behavior.

You might also want to check the recent article in ToN regarding 
proportional DiffServ by Leung, Lui, and Yau.  Best of luck!

Aaron

>proportional Diffserv (proposed by Dovrolis...) in the same network at

Aaron Striegel
Ph.D Student, Computer Engineering
Dept. of Electrical & Computer Engineering
Iowa State University

Researching abroad at UTC (Universite de Technologie Compiegne)

E-mail: [email-masked] or [email-masked]
Webpage: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~magico