Subject: [Diffserv-interest] Diffserv, AF, and EF question

From: Karen Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 15:52:06 +0200

First, can someone please tell me how EF and AF are implemented in
DiffServ? I know that there are 4 physical queues.  Are these queues AF
or EF?  

Second, does anyone know what the officially recommended scheduling
method is for AF: RR, WRR, etc?

Thank you,
Karen Gray

_______________________________________________
Diffserv-interest mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/diffserv-interest

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 10:13:11 -0500

Karen Gray wrote:
> DiffServ? I know that there are 4 physical queues.  

No, there are as many queues as you happen to need acording to
how many PHBs are configured on a given interface. In theory that is
any number between 1 and 64 (meximum number of DSCP values).

> Are these queues AF

Depends on local configuration
> method is for AF: RR, WRR, etc?

There is no recommendation. It's an implementation decision, not a
standards issue. The standard simply requires an implementation that
meets the PHB group definition. If you look at the MIB, you will see
that even the choice of scheduler is a configuration choice.

   Brian