Subject: [Dcrup] WG Action: Formed DKIM Crypto Update (dcrup)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 09:13:42 -0700

A new IETF WG has been formed in the Applications and Real-Time Area. For
additional information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG
Chairs.

DKIM Crypto Update (dcrup)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  Rich Salz <[email-masked]>
  Murray Kucherawy <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>

Applications and Real-Time Area Directors:
  Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
  Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
  Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>

Technical advisors:
  Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
 
Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dcrup
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/dcrup/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/dcrup/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-dcrup/

The DKIM Crypto Update (DCRUP) Working Group is chartered to update
DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM, RFC 6376) to handle more modern 
cryptographic algorithms and key sizes. DKIM (RFC 6376) signatures 
include a tag that identifies the hash algorithm and signing algorithm 
used in the signature. The only current algorithm is RSA, with advice 
that signing keys should be between 1024 and 2048 bits. While 1024 bit 
signatures are common, longer signatures are not because bugs in DNS 
provisioning software prevent publishing longer keys as DNS TXT records.

DCRUP will consider three types of changes to DKIM: additional signing
algorithms such as those based on elliptic curves, changes to key
strength advice and requirements, and new public key forms, such as
putting the public key in the signature and a hash of the key in the
DNS to bypass bugs in DNS provisioning software that prevent publishing
longer keys as DNS TXT records.  It will limit itself to existing
implemented algorithms and key forms. Other changes to DKIM, such as new
message canonicalization schemes, are out of scope.  The WG will as far 
as possible avoid changes incompatible with deployed DKIM signers and 
verifiers.

Milestones:
  Oct 2017 - Agree what algorithms and key formats to add or deprecate
  Dec 2017 - Submit WG draft to IESG as Proposed Standard