Subject: [core] I-D Action: draft-ietf-core-groupcomm-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 06:30:16 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Constrained RESTful Environments Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Group Communication for CoAP
	Author(s)       : Akbar Rahman
                          Esko Dijk
	Filename        : draft-ietf-core-groupcomm-04.txt
	Pages           : 24
	Date            : 2012-12-20

Abstract:
   CoAP is a RESTful transfer protocol for constrained devices and
   networks.  It is anticipated that constrained devices will often
   naturally operate in groups (e.g. in a building automation scenario
   all lights in a given room may need to be switched on/off as a
   group).  This document defines how the CoAP protocol should be used
   in a group communication context.  An approach for using CoAP on top
   of IP multicast is detailed for both constrained and un-constrained
   networks.  Also, various use causes and corresponding protocol flows
   are provided to illustrate important concepts.  Finally, guidance is
   provided for deployment in various network topologies.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-groupcomm

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-core-groupcomm-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-core-groupcomm-04

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Rahman, Akbar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 09:46:51 -0500

Hi All,

Esko and I have updated the Group Communications draft as per the
guidance from the Chairs at the IETF Atlanta meeting.  Namely we have
addressed the items listed below that were brought up online and offline
in Atlanta.

Our next steps (in January) will be to address the comments from Peter
van der Stok that were recently sent to the list.  We also look forward
to receiving the comments from the other volunteer reviewers (Cullen
Jennings, Zach Shelby, Salvatore Loreto) whenever they are ready.  The
current -04 version of the draft is stable so it will be a good version
to give comments on.  Of course comments from everyone else on the list
are also definitely encouraged and welcome.

Sincerely,

Esko & Akbar

------------------------------------------------------------------------
--

   Changes from ietf-03 to ietf-04:

   o  Removed section 2.3 (Potential Solutions for Group Communications)
      as it is purely background information and moved section to
      draft-dijk-core-groupcomm-misc (#266).

   o  Added reference to draft-keoh-tls-multicast-security to section 6
      (Security Considerations).

   o  Removed Appendix B (CoAP-Observe Alternative to Group
      Communications) as it is as an alternative to IP Multicast that
      the WG has not adopted and moved section to
      draft-dijk-core-groupcomm-misc (#267).

   o  Deleted section 8 (Conclusions) as it is redundant (#268).

   o  Simplified light switch use case (#269) by splitting into basic
      operations and additional functions (#269).

   o  Moved section 3.7 (CoAP Multicast and HTTP Unicast Interworking)
      to draft-dijk-core-groupcomm-misc (#270).

   o  Moved section 3.3.1 (DNS-SD) and 3.3.2 (CoRE Resource Directory)
      to draft-dijk-core-groupcomm-misc as these sections essentially
      just repeated text from other drafts regarding DNS based features.
      Clarified remaining text in this draft relating to DNS based
      features to clearly indicate that these features are optional
      (#272).

   o  Focus section 3.5 (Configuring Group Membership) on a single
      proposed solution.

   o  Scope of section 5.3 (Use of MLD) widened to multicast destination
      advertisement methods in general.

   o  Rewrote section 2.2 (Scope) for improved readibility.

   o  Moved use cases that are not adressed to
      draft-dijk-core-groupcomm-misc.

   o  Various editorial updates for improved readibility.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2012 9:30 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [core] I-D Action: draft-ietf-core-groupcomm-04.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Constrained RESTful Environments
Working Group of the IETF.

Abstract:

_______________________________________________
core mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/core