Subject: Re: [core] #259: Standardize a workaround for HTTP library limitations in talking to forward HTTP-COAP cross-proxies?

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 19:09:47 -0000

#259: Standardize a workaround for HTTP library limitations in talking to forward
HTTP-COAP cross-proxies?

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * owner:  [email-masked] => [email-masked]
 * status:  new => assigned

Comment:

 It now seems pretty clear that we should go for a separate specification
 for a reverse-proxy convention for HTTP-CoAP mapping.
 So, to prepare for this, I propose to add the following text (from
 "However") to the end of the introduction to section 10.

      HTTP-CoAP Proxying:  Enables HTTP clients to access resources on CoAP
         servers through an intermediary.  This is initiated by specifying
         a "coap" or "coaps" URI in the Request-Line of an HTTP request to
         an HTTP-CoAP proxy.

      Either way, only the Request/ Response model of CoAP is mapped to
      HTTP.  The underlying model of confirmable or non-confirmable
      messages, etc., is invisible and MUST have no effect on a proxy
      function.  The following sections describe the handling of requests
      to a forward-proxy.  Reverse proxies are not specified as the proxy
      function is transparent to the client with the proxy acting as if it
      was the origin server.  However, similar considerations apply to
      reverse-proxies as to forward-proxies, and there generally will be an
      expectation that reverse-proxies operate in a similar way forward-
      proxies would.  As an implementation note, HTTP client libraries may
      make it hard to operate an HTTP-CoAP forward proxy by not providing a
      way to put a CoAP URI on the HTTP Request-Line; reverse-proxying may
      therefore lead to wider applicability of a proxy.  A separate
      specification may define a convention for URIs operating such a HTTP-
      CoAP reverse proxy.

-- 
-----------------------------+---------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]     |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  other technical  |      Status:  assigned
 Priority:  minor            |   Milestone:  post-WGLC-1
Component:  coap             |     Version:  coap-09
 Severity:  In WG Last Call  |  Resolution:
 Keywords:                   |
-----------------------------+---------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/259#comment:2>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 00:14:28 -0000

* status:  assigned => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 Fixed in coap-13 in combination with draft-bormann-core-cross-reverse-
 convention-00.txt

-- 
-----------------------------+---------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]     |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  other technical  |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  minor            |   Milestone:  post-WGLC-1
Component:  coap             |     Version:  coap-09
 Severity:  In WG Last Call  |  Resolution:  fixed
 Keywords:                   |
-----------------------------+---------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/259#comment:3>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 00:18:11 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Fixed in [1095]:

 Provide a reference to a placeholder I-D in order to close #259.

Ticket URL: </ticket/259#comment:4>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>