Subject: [core] #269: Simplify light switch use case and conform better to current practice

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 13:18:04 -0000

#269: Simplify light switch use case and conform better to current practice

 Based on last WG meeting discussions and input; it is proposed to simplify
 the lighting use case and conform better to current/expected practice in
 LLNs. Specifically:

 1. Use a simpler alternative to MLD (as MLD is currently not designed to
 operate in LLN environments; nor expected to be used in typical LLN
 deployments). MLD will still be listed as an option along with others. The
 simpler alternative is preconfiguration in 6LBRs what multicast traffic is
 filtered and which not.
 2. Light switch will CoAP multicast directly (not via Proxy) to make the
 basic case more clear. (Using proxy is an optional extension of the basic
 use case.)
 3. Explain how the light switch deals with dropped packets. Current
 solution envisaged is that lights do not send CoAP responses to multicast.
 Light switch relies on routing (e.g. MPL/Trickle-multicast for LLNs) for
 reliable-enough delivery.
 4. Remove the DNS resolution step in the basic use case. Using DNS is
 optional and should be presented as such.

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  draft-ietf-core-
  [email-masked]  |  [email-masked]
     Type:  task         |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major        |  Milestone:
Component:  groupcomm    |    Version:
 Severity:  -            |   Keywords:
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/269>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 10:43:30 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 Done in upcoming groupcomm-04

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |       Owner:  draft-ietf-core-
  [email-masked]  |  [email-masked]
     Type:  task         |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  major        |   Milestone:
Component:  groupcomm    |     Version:
 Severity:  -            |  Resolution:  fixed
 Keywords:               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/269#comment:1>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>