Subject: [core] #264: Content-Format of error responses

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 16:45:14 -0000

#264: Content-Format of error responses

 Klaus Hartke notes:

 Section 5.5.2

 The Content-Format Option MUST NOT be included by the sender and MUST be
 treated like an unrecognized option by the recipient.

 For future extensibility (HATEOAS) and to reduce variability it might be
 better if the format of the representation of an error was determined by
 the Content-Format Option like the format of any other representation.

 Require the inclusion of a Content-Format Option with a value indicating a
 human-readable diagnostic message (i.e., text/plain or some new media
 type).

 Comment (Carsten Bormann):

 Originally, the assumption was that on error messages, some developer-
 readable (as opposed to human-readable) messages would suffice that were
 essentially assumed to be in Content-Format 0 (text/plain; charset=UTF-8).
 It is useful to retain this diagnostic capability, which was originally
 meant to solve the same problem the "reason phrase" solves on an HTTP
 status line.

 However, even error messages may want to guide the application state on
 the client.  So, not being able to supply a representation that, e.g.,
 provides alternate links to be used by the application, is a significant
 limitation from a full REST model.

 If we want to enable sending a content-format for this, defaulting to ct=0
 just for error messages sounds wrong, but maybe could be justified.

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  [email-masked]
  [email-masked]           |     Status:  new
     Type:  other        |  Milestone:  post-WGLC-1
  technical              |    Version:  coap-12
 Priority:  minor        |   Keywords:
Component:  coap         |
 Severity:  In WG Last   |
  Call                   |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/264>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 13:53:18 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 Fixed in [1097]:

 close #264 as discussed

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |       Owner:  draft-ietf-core-
  [email-masked]           |  [email-masked]
     Type:  other        |      Status:  closed
  technical              |   Milestone:  post-WGLC-1
 Priority:  minor        |     Version:  coap-12
Component:  coap         |  Resolution:  fixed
 Severity:  In WG Last   |
  Call                   |
 Keywords:               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: </ticket/264#comment:1>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>