Subject: Re: [core] #247: Scalability questions IANA review for IPv6/IPv4 multicast address request

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 09:21:04 -0000

#247: Scalability questions IANA review for IPv6/IPv4 multicast address request

Comment (by zach@…):

 Coming back to the solution for this ticket. I would like to propose the
 following in the WG meeting next week:

 1. Change the IPv4 request to the Local Network Control Block. Although we
 could ask for the Ad-Hoc Block I think Local Network is sufficient for our
 discovery needs in IPv4.
 2. Change the IPv6 request to link-local and site-local scope only. Here
 we need site-local scope due to the way 6LoWPAN networks are typically
 built.
 3. Recommend the use application specific multicast addresses for larger
 scope multicast needs.

 Regarding the security consideration, with these changes I think the
 existing text in 11.4 is sufficient.

 If this is OK with the WG, then we can make the needed changes in -13 and
 then update our IANA registration request accordingly.

-- 
-----------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:  esko.dijk@…      |       Owner:  draft-ietf-core-coap@…
     Type:  protocol defect  |      Status:  new
 Priority:  major            |   Milestone:  post-WGLC-1
Component:  coap             |     Version:
 Severity:  -                |  Resolution:
 Keywords:                   |
-----------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/247#comment:3>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 08:52:50 -0000

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 Noting the discussion on the list about an easy-to-remember multicast
 address similar to BACnet (FF0x::BAC0). Proposals are:

  FF0x::C0
  FF0x::C0A7

 https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/core/current/msg03801.html

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |       Owner:  draft-ietf-core-
  [email-masked]  |  [email-masked]
     Type:  protocol     |      Status:  new
  defect                 |   Milestone:  post-WGLC-1
 Priority:  major        |     Version:
Component:  coap         |  Resolution:
 Severity:  -            |
 Keywords:               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/247#comment:4>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 08:56:09 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * priority:  major => minor

Comment:

 Noting agreement with IANA and address request reviewer:
 - allocation will be done at time of core-coap publication when all
 details are worked out.
 - IPv4 allocation in Internetwork Control Block is okay; Adhoc Block not
 needed

 Priority:  minor        |     Version:

Ticket URL: <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/247#comment:5>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>