Subject: [core] Mail to Carsten bouncing?

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 13:29:08 -0400

Carsten, I just got a bounce from trying to send mail to the chairs.

This came from one of the IETF tools servers (grenache.tools.ietf.org):
-------------------------------
  [email-masked]
    (generated from [email-masked])
    SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<[email-masked]>:
    host mailhost.informatik.uni-bremen.de [2001:638:708:30c9::12]:
    550 5.7.1 <[email-masked]>... Access denied. IP name lookup failed
[IPv6:2a01:3f0:1:2:225:90ff:fe34:720e] - Please fix your DNS server
and resend
-------------------------------

Barry

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 22:59:55 -0400

> This came from one of the IETF tools servers (grenache.tools.ietf.org):

Yes, Henrik occasionally has trouble with the IPv6 PTR setup behind the hosting of (some of?) the tools servers, and some spam management setups (including that at my university, sorry about that) just don't take E-mail from addresses with bad PTRs.  So I'm notifying him again...

Non-tools E-mail does seem to reach me (in spades).

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2012 08:31:22 -0400

Hi Carsten,

> Non-tools E-mail does seem to reach me (in spades).

These days, all the 3 servers have reverses for the IPv6 addresses, but
I found that for some reason, Exim on one of the machines is using the
EUI-48 address instead of the explicitly assigned IPv6 address for
outgoing mail.  I've earlier told it to not even have the EUI-address
assigned to the interface (in /etc/network/interfaces) but now I again
see that address on the interface...  I've zapped it, and will try to
figure out what could have made it appear again...

Best regards,

	Henrik