Subject: [core] #263: Proxied responses to multicast request can't be distinguished by client

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:34:41 -0000

#263: Proxied responses to multicast request can't be distinguished by client

 (This ticket is either protocol defect or editorial, depending on
 viewpoint.)

 Section 8.2.2 of core-coap-12 describes a multicast request via a CoAP
 proxy. The proxy sends all responses back to the client. However, the
 client can't identify from which CoAP server any particular response is
 coming. (With regular non-proxied multicast, the IP source address
 provides this information. For a proxied request, all responses coming
 back carry the IP address of the CoAP proxy as the source IP address.)

 This ticket is meant to record our decision on this matter:
 1- do we define a method such that the client can identify responses by IP
 address of the responding CoAP server?
 2- do we leave it as now and recommend/mention that the server includes
 some form of self-identification in a response to a multicast request?
 3- do nothing
 (4- any other?)

-- 
-----------------------------+------------------------------------
 Reporter:  esko.dijk@…      |      Owner:  draft-ietf-core-coap@…
     Type:  protocol defect  |     Status:  new
 Priority:  minor            |  Milestone:  post-WGLC-1
Component:  coap             |    Version:  coap-12
 Severity:  -                |   Keywords:
-----------------------------+------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/263>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>

---

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 15:48:14 -0000

Comment (by hartke@…):

 The client might not even be aware that it made a multicast request, e.g.,
 if it follows some link and sends
 {{{
 Proxy-Uri: coap://xyzzy.example.net/s/temp
 }}}
 and xyzzy.example.net resolves to an IP multicast address.

-- 
-----------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:  esko.dijk@…      |       Owner:  draft-ietf-core-coap@…
     Type:  protocol defect  |      Status:  new
 Priority:  minor            |   Milestone:  post-WGLC-1
Component:  coap             |     Version:  coap-12
 Severity:  -                |  Resolution:
 Keywords:                   |
-----------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/263#comment:1>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>