Subject: [core] #204: Introduce a minimal version of Pledge

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 17:51:57 -0000

#204: Introduce a minimal version of Pledge

 Various proposals have been made to solve the robust observation
 relationships problem (#174).
 174 was closed because the "80 %" were solved and a solution for the "20
 %" had not yet come up.

 Jeroen Hoebeke now proposed to do a similar option to Pledge (CoAP-misc
 section 4.3):

        http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bormann-coap-misc-14#section-4.3

 but decoupling this completely from Max-Age.
 This would work as follows:

 A server can indicate its promise to keep the client informed in each
 message using the Pledge option (it is probably still useful to let
 Pledge default to the value of Max-Age).  This does not cause any
 extension of Max-Age, i.e. the resource becomes uncacheable once
 Max-Age runs out.  A client can always perform a new explicit GET
 (with or without Observe) to obtain a cacheable representation again.
 An intermediary can pass on the Pledge to its clients, but will need
 to respond to any explicit GET with an explicit GET upstream.

-- 
----------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Reporter:  cabo@…                |      Owner:  draft-ietf-core-observe@…
     Type:  protocol enhancement  |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major                 |  Milestone:
Component:  observe               |    Version:
 Severity:  In WG Last Call       |   Keywords:
----------------------------------+---------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/204>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>