Subject: [core] #194: Rules for determining the context of a link relation

From: "core issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 12:37:24 -0000

#194: Rules for determining the context of a link relation

 From the review by Julian Reschke:

 The current explanation of how context is determined for a link relation
 is awkward as it is paragraph form. This ticket proposes expansion and
 clarification of these rules for determining the context as a step-by-step
 list.

 The current text says:

 " this information in the target URI, the context URI is built from the
  scheme and authority that was used for referencing the resource
  returning the set of links, replacing the path with an empty path.

  Thus by default links can be thought of as describing a target
  resource hosted by the server.  Other relations can be expressed by
  including an anchor parameter (which defines the context URI) along
  with an explicit relation parameter.  This is an important difference
  to the way the HTTP Link Header format is used, as it is included in
  the header of an HTTP response for some URI (this URI is by default
  the context URI).  Thus the HTTP Link Header is by default relating
  the target URI to the URI that was requested.  In comparison, the
  CoRE link format includes one or more links, each describing a
  resource hosted by a server by default.  Other relations can be
  expressed by using the anchor parameter.  See Section 5 of [RFC3986]
  for a description of how URIs are constructed from URI references."

 An alternative explanation for the context rules would be:

 "
 The context URI specified by

 a) the anchor parameter, when specified, or

 b) Origin of the target URI, when specified

 c) Origin of the link format document's base URI.
 "

 It also should be explained why only the origin is used in cases b) or c).

 In addition, in Section 2.2 it says:

 "The "hosts" relation type indicates that the target URI is a resource
  hosted by the server given by the base URI, or, if present, the
  anchor parameter."

 With the new context rules this will be generalized, and the context is
 determined like that regardless of the relation type.

-- 
----------------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  zach@…                |      Owner:  zach@…
     Type:  protocol enhancement  |     Status:  new
 Priority:  minor                 |  Milestone:
Component:  link-format           |    Version:
 Severity:  -                     |   Keywords:
----------------------------------+--------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/core/trac/ticket/194>
core <http://tools.ietf.org/core/>