Subject: Re: [conex] WGLC for draft-ietf-conex-concepts-uses-03.txt

From: Mirja Kühlewind <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 14:36:36 +0100

Hi,

sorry, I'm very late with my comments on the doc mentioned below but there are 
only a few comments:

The example in "2.2.  Congestion-Volume" says the loss propability is 0,2% and 
the congestion volume 2MB. Maybe it's helpful to says more explicit that 1) 
the loss propability is the measurement of the network congestion (level) and 
2) this is in percent, while the congestion volume depends on the actual 
amount of traffic send by the user and thus is in MB.

Section '2.3.  Rest-of-Path Congestion' talks only about ECN as a congestion 
signal and ignores loss.

In "2.4.  Definitions" in the definition of congestion-volume the following 
sentence does not seem to be entirely correct or I don't get it right:
"data volume multiplied by the congestion each packet of the volume 
experienced" -> maybe "... multiplied by the mean congestion during the 
measurement time period..."?

Upstream congestion: 
s/by a traffic flow thus far/by a traffic flow so far/ ??

In 3.1.  Use Case Description
"Those users would be expected to react in the typical way to drops,
   backing off (assuming use of standard TCP), and thereby lowering
   their congestion-volumes back within the quota limits."
If those users would use standard TCP, they would have reacted already on the 
original congestion signal (before a policer can drop anything based on 
ConEx). I though the point is that this mechanism is helpful when a users 
does e.g. not back off on congestion. And additionally I believe there is a 
second important point: a (misbehaving) user can be policed at the ingress  
before the traffic will disturb other users further.

The last paragraph in "3.3.  Comparison with Existing Approaches" is not 
entirely clear to me. This sounds like ConEx proposes to use a per-congestion 
pricing. Do we need to talk about flat-rate pricing at all?

Mirja

On Thursday 17 November 2011 02:53:16 marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:
> This note issues the WGLC for draft-ietf-conex-concepts-uses-03.txt.
> (http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-conex-concepts-uses-03.txt)
>
> Please review the document and send comments before the 5th december.
>
> Thanks, marcelo
> _______________________________________________
> conex mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/conex